Apple Pay competitor CurrentC hacked, alerts pilot program participants of security breach

Comments

• Reply 121 of 232
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by woodycurmudgeon View Post

I'm betting MCX folds up and blows away before their system ever actually sees the light of day. What a festival of fail.

Think of all the scrutiny that ApplePay got when first introduced. If half that effort were directed toward CurrentC, it would be DOA.

Let them both co-exist. TouchID vs. QR code. Let the marketplace decide.

• Reply 122 of 232
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Not too late to get that CurrentC Halloween Costume -- be sure to wear something under it, as it is totally transparent! :D

I prefer translucent for myself ... ;) (sorry a poor Yosemite joke there)
  • Reply 123 of 232
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    tbell wrote: »
    To be fair however the NFC systems are in place because of Google.

I don't think so. I think it was MasterCard that started the "tap to pay". Googs just piggybacked on that. (Not saying anything negative).
  • Reply 124 of 232
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ceek74 View Post

Three words...Perfect Timing!

That's only 2 words. Where is the third?

• Reply 125 of 232
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

I'll give you that Apple did a great job at promoting Apple Pay. It's a fantastic system that I really enjoy using. Although, when I go to Walgreens to use Apple Pay, I see on the NFC POS a Google Wallet logo with "Pay using Google Wallet". I don't see anything about Apple Pay.

That's ok. I used Apple Pay at Home Depot, it just said Mastercard Pass, and I've using a Visa Card linked to my Apple pay account!!!    Apple Pay hasn't been around for long.  Soon all these NFC terminals will say ApplePay on them along with Google Wallet.  Maybe even MS can get their hat thrown into the game also.

I refuse to eve use CurrentC let alone any other system that's going to try linking with my Bank Account!!!  Just go a search  with PayPal  users on that subject!!!

• Reply 126 of 232
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I agree that Apple's system is the best and will be the dominate figure at play, much in the same way that iDevices make purchase transactions that far exceed Android despite Android's stated activation numbers. However, I expect other system, including Google Wallet, to follow Apple's lead. The multinationals and financial institutions have no reason to prevent others from making similar deals and they've already altered their back end to support ?Pay. This is a benefit for all users so my guess this isn't something Tim Cook would prevent anyone else from having. I'm not talking about using Apple's IP, but rather using the general paradigm ?Pay uses. The only caveat would be Apple having a contractual timeframe which the banks to keep others out, but I'm not sure that would even be an issue for Apple since no one else has the control of the HW and OS to make this a reality.

Yes, somebody would have to implement an alternative but equally good touch-ID that Apple has. Not sure how that is going.

• Reply 127 of 232
    stompystompy Posts: 408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

What I want to know is, how are there 17 5-star ratings for CurrentC in the App Store?

I checked a couple of them out yesterday, one of the best is (intentionally) very funny.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/reviews?userProfileId=28232442

It's entitled "Amazing app makes me the product!" It gets better from there; don't miss the line about "enterprising programmers in foreign lands" .... prescient! (or maybe just common sense, knowing what clowns are behind MCX.)

• Reply 128 of 232
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

That's only 2 words. Where is the third?

I have one word for you: Oh, c'mon!!

• Reply 129 of 232
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

To be fair however the NFC systems are in place because of Google.

And most of people weren't aware of it until Apple step in. Google should've marketed it better.

• Reply 130 of 232
    sirlance99 wrote: »
    Fair enough. Although, I use all platforms for testing, so I don't really care about the fighting between to two side. I do care about this story big time as I believe it's wrong in so many ways.

The 'story' is wrong in so many ways? Or CurrentC?

BTW Isn't that just an awful name ... CurrentC... was it supposed to be clever? It makes me think of electricity not money.

From the MW Dictionary:

Examples of CURRENCY
    • A new currency has been introduced in the foreign exchange market.
    • They were paid in U.S. currency.
    • Furs were once traded as currency.
    • The word app has not yet won widespread currency.
    • I'm not sure about the accuracy and currency of their information.
  • Reply 131 of 232
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    paxman wrote: »
    Yes, somebody would have to implement an alternative but equally good touch-ID that Apple has. Not sure how that is going.

A TouchID-level biometric is a convenience but you can still activate ?Pay with your device passcode.
  • Reply 132 of 232

Three words... don't go into accounting!

• Reply 133 of 232
    but he was talking about ?Time. :D

Is that like the opposite of Valve Time?

In my day, Gruen was a manufacturer of quality watches and clocks ...

A popular answer to the question: "What time is it?"

It's 9:30 PM .. It's Gruen Time!

(I had to be in before curfew ;)
  • Reply 134 of 232
    From the MW Dictionary:

Examples of CURRENCY
    • A new currency has been introduced in the foreign exchange market.
    • They were paid in U.S. currency.
    • Furs were once traded as currency.
    • The word app has not yet won widespread currency.
    • I'm not sure about the accuracy and currency of their information.

But it isn't Currency it is CurrentC ... in fact Currency would have been an OK name. CurrentC is stupid IMHO. Of course it may allude to a possibility of a 'current' hack if you 'C' what i mean. :)
  • Reply 135 of 232
    ultimatist wrote: »

Three words... don't go into accounting!

lol
  • Reply 136 of 232
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I agree that Apple's system is the best and will be the dominate figure at play, much in the same way that iDevices make purchase transactions that far exceed Android despite Android's stated activation numbers. However, I expect other system, including Google Wallet, to follow Apple's lead. The multinationals and financial institutions have no reason to prevent others from making similar deals and they've already altered their back end to support ?Pay. This is a benefit for all users so my guess this isn't something Tim Cook would prevent anyone else from having. I'm not talking about using Apple's IP, but rather using the general paradigm ?Pay uses. The only caveat would be Apple having a contractual timeframe which the banks to keep others out, but I'm not sure that would even be an issue for Apple since no one else has the control of the HW and OS to make this a reality.

I'd go a step further and say I wouldn't be surprised if the financial institutions insisted on the other platforms develop a payment system as secure as Apple's especially since it seems like retailers are getting hacked daily.
  • Reply 137 of 232
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

Google Wallet users have just as much at stake as Apple Pay users. I use both but know many people that use Google Wallet that are just as mad about this as Apple Pay users.

The only wish I have is Google to not store information on Cloud but at users' devices so users can use Google Wallet without network connection needed. Other than that, it's pretty much like Apple Pay. 

• Reply 138 of 232
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    I'd go a step further and say I wouldn't be surprised if the financial institutions insisted on the other platforms develop a payment system as secure as Apple's especially since it seems like retailers are getting hacked daily.

I can see that. The savings in fraud with the representational card number per device and the tokenization alone will be extremely beneficial to them even if most other devices still need to use a PIN.
  • Reply 139 of 232
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,999member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Misa View Post

Tip: If a phone or internet site requires you to enter the last 4 digits of your SSN at any point, it has your entire SSN on file.

Actually, this is not true.  I work at an (unreleased) mobile payments place (not in competition with Apple Pay, Google Wallet, or CurrentC really) and we ask for the last 4 when you sign up, as part of regulatory compliance for AML (anti money laundering) laws, but we don't have anything at that point, and only collect the last 4, since the ID Verify things we have to use as part of "Know Your Customer" laws can get a good enough match off the last 4, that it suffices for what we need.   We don't want the whole SSN and only do the minimum that will allow us to be compliant with regulatory requirements.

• Reply 140 of 232
    fallenjt wrote: »
    The only wish I have is Google to not store information on Cloud but at users' devices so users can use Google Wallet without network connection needed. Other than that, it's pretty much like Apple Pay. 

Apple Pay as a whole is more secure.