Apple Pay competitor CurrentC hacked, alerts pilot program participants of security breach

Comments

• Reply 201 of 232
    elehcdnelehcdn Posts: 388member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Right, hence me suggesting the name was stupid, the play on pronunciation is far from the first thought for most i am sure. I'd love to have been a fly on the wall ...

"Let's call it 'Currency'

'That's snappy and meaningful, I like it."

"No, no ... how about 'Current .. C' Isn't that clever, get it It's like Currency but it isn't. The C is said after 'Current' get it?"

"That's stupid and pontless?"

"My dad is the CEO of Walmart"

"Oh yes it's a brilliant name."

I think the new name is CurrentCracked ;)

• Reply 202 of 232
    I for one want to push through my credit card to benefit from the insurance that I get there and won't from my bank.

This security breach is just the icing on the cake !
  • Reply 203 of 232
    paul94544 wrote: »
    Well done whoever broke into currentC from Apple

Two wrongs don't make a right, except in this case. CurrentC is a walking corpse at this point. ;)
  • Reply 204 of 232
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

Google Wallet users have just as much at stake as Apple Pay users. I use both but know many people that use Google Wallet that are just as mad about this as Apple Pay users.

s it's been around so much longer I'd expect the wallet users would be even more irate: it's had time do build into their habitsI. Apple Pay is early days.

• Reply 205 of 232
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    <iframe width="640" height="385" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/tnIDLELMkzU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

The exact scene I was thinking of when i wrote that. Thanks for the memory refresh.
  • Reply 206 of 232
    stompystompy Posts: 408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elehcdn View Post

I'll bet that Walmart didn't commit to anything ... they are the ones that are driving MCX forward...

Walmart is desperately trying to get into banking ... and are using MCX to drive this forward. It is just icing on the cake that they have managed to get other merchants on board to help out with costs and get better consumer penetration....  http://www.droplabs.co/?p=662

Agreed. Publicly, Walmart has been conspicuous in its defense of MCX/CurrentC; I'd bet Walmart execs will be spending some quality time reassuring MCX pigeons partners that this is just a bump in the road on the way to $$$

• Reply 207 of 232
    Color me ignorant, but until ApplePay, I didn't know MCX and their project existed. Maybe I'm not alone in this.

Could it be that professional hackers were also not aware? If that is the case, then once MCX became known, the hackers went about their business of breaking into their systems.

That went well!
  • Reply 208 of 232
    Quote:

Originally Posted by stompy View Post

Agreed. Publicly, Walmart has been conspicuous in its defense of MCX/CurrentC; I'd bet Walmart execs will be spending some quality time reassuring MCX pigeons partners that this is just a bump in the road on the way to $$$

While CVS and RiteAid appear to be doing their best to run away from the issue.

Just goes to show you what happens when you get into business with Walmart...

• Reply 209 of 232
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,292member
    Somewhere in Cupertino, Eddy Cue is wallowing in sheer depression from this announcement...

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/51624/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

8-)
  • Reply 210 of 232
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator

Skirmish #1 goes to...  ApplePay.

• Reply 211 of 232
    azjayazjay Posts: 40member
    Wait a second, they want me to hand over my bank account information and trust it will be safe, yet they cant even keep my email address safe? Yeah, no thanks lol.
  • Reply 212 of 232
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member

How is it that Current C are able to use the copyright symbol as their logo. 

• Reply 213 of 232
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by azjay View Post

Wait a second, they want me to hand over my bank account information and trust it will be safe, yet they cant even keep my email address safe? Yeah, no thanks lol.

Oh yeah that's the kicker. Two years ago? Maybe. In today's world of Target, Home Depot and on and on? No way in hell.

• Reply 214 of 232
    17 internal testers who are employed by MCX?

If it was the case where the app creators added their own reviews, that would be grounds for Apple to terminate that account. The developer agreement forbids manipulation of reviews like that.
  • Reply 215 of 232
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Okay, the Apple-lover who did this, please raise your hand!

Jobs is still using his influence, in the Big House.

• Reply 216 of 232
    azjayazjay Posts: 40member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Oh yeah that's the kicker. Two years ago? Maybe. In today's world of Target, Home Depot and on and on? No way in hell.

Exactly. I've been effected by one of these hacks and it sucks. No way in hell would i=I EVER give out my bank information. I will however use ApplePay whenever my iPhone 6+ arrives. The less my information is out there, the better. 

• Reply 217 of 232
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Let's be honest here, Google wallet has been around for awhile. CurrentC didn't deem them a threat. Apple Pay comes along and they are scared.

Not so much that they are scared but want to circumvent the big three (Credit Card Companies) and their processing fees.  Reminiscent of the Blu-Ray vs HD-DVD fight.  The same will ring true here.  There is a reason AmEx, Visa, MasterCard all aligned behind Apple Pay.  It preserves their business model and thwarts Walmart and companies lame idea etc.  Apple Pay will prevail.

Btw -- does Best Buy think they are above it all?  I mean talk about a company ripe for a takeover before it sinks... Best Buy meet your next buyer...Amazon!

• Reply 218 of 232
    jfc1138 wrote: »

I will be terminating my PayPal account shortly just for this reason. I forget the dollar amount, but once you crossed over a certain amount of spending, PayPal required you to connect a bank account in order to keep the service.

I was quite hesitant back then, but nonetheless added my account.

I rarely use PayPal and only ever had funds come from the attached CC. Still, the small amount of convenice is completely overshadowed by the risk to security.
  • Reply 219 of 232
    Just to splice into this topic, we just came from the Troutdale, OR Walgreens store. Tried to buy something with ApplePay. Clerk didn't have a clue, never heard of it, and gave us her two cents worth about never trusting such a device ("they can steal your card numbers" - whoever "they" is). Paid cash instead.
  • Reply 220 of 232
    Quote:

Originally Posted by azjay View Post

Don't worry, a bunch of the emails were fake so it's not a big deal. That is why I plan to sign up for CurrentC with a fake SSN and bank routing information. Hey, it's not a big deal!