iPhone 6 Plus users report persistent unexplained crashing issues, possibly tied to large app librar

Comments

• Reply 161 of 212
    I wonder if these people know that they can delete apps and reinstall them when they find out they need these apps..
  • Reply 162 of 212
    elehcdnelehcdn Posts: 388member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Oak1 View Post

As inhumane as it sounds, I was happy to read about this old IOS 7 problem spreading beyond Ipads to the larger Iphone community, so that perhaps Apple can no longer ignore it.  The too-many-apps problem (I have 1100 and no game apps) first showed up when I upgraded my 128 GB Ipad v4 to IOS 7, that immediately triggered hourly rebooting of my Ipad and disabling of screen snapping.  Thinking it was hardware, and urgently needing my Ipad for stock trading, I rushed out and bought the new 128 GB Ipad v5 (the Air), and did a backup restore to it, but encountered the very same problem.  So for months I have suffered through hourly boots, where friends say "how can you take it, I would throw it out the window". <snip>  Such a large waste of time.  Sigh.  Apple, please help.

Once again, if you have 1100+ apps, how do you know it is not a bad app? C'mon, are you telling me that you use those apps on a regular basis - with 1100+ apps, you can use 2 1/2 of those apps every day of the year and still not use every app in a year.

I understand the frustration, but you are talking about 1100+ different applications from what? ... 300 or 400 different developers? How old are those apps? How many of the developers are still supporting the apps, or are even still in business? Is it really Apple's fault that you want to load a 3 year old app that isn't even supported anymore and that you may use once every couple of months? Tell me this ... have you even tried to launch every application on ios7 or 8 to find out if they will actually even run?

Maybe someone needs to make an app cleaner that checks to see if the apps have been updated to recent iOS releases or within the last year to help people clean out possibly out-dated apps that may be causing crashes.

• Reply 163 of 212
    I had the same problems (extinctions, restarts, red screens, problems of wifi connection) from the first use on September 19th.

After complete restoration, the iPhone worked with no problem at all during 10 days but the problems started again...

After contact with Apple, this one proceeded to an exchange.

I specify that the problems occurred with only 112 applications.

Since no problem: installation from a backup, same number of applications.
    First installation was from a iPhone 5S backup, second from an iPhone 6 backup.
  • Reply 164 of 212
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    harry wild wrote: »
    700 apps? Wow! I only have about 120 and I thought that was a lot to keep track of? This is from about 5 years of accumulation too! No wonder it crash; try to index 700 apps and all!

Indexing 700 items? The iPhone shouldn't crash.
    I wonder if these people know that they can delete apps and reinstall them when they find out they need these apps..

Why should they have to?
    elehcdn wrote: »
    Once again, if you have 1100+ apps, how do you know it is not a bad app? C'mon, are you telling me that you use those apps on a regular basis - with 1100+ apps, you can use 2 1/2 of those apps every day of the year and still not use every app in a year.

I understand the frustration, but you are talking about 1100+ different applications from what? ... 300 or 400 different developers? How old are those apps? How many of the developers are still supporting the apps, or are even still in business? Is it really Apple's fault that you want to load a 3 year old app that isn't even supported anymore and that you may use once every couple of months? Tell me this ... have you even tried to launch every application on ios7 or 8 to find out if they will actually even run?

Maybe someone needs to make an app cleaner that checks to see if the apps have been updated to recent iOS releases or within the last year to help people clean out possibly out-dated apps that may be causing crashes.

I am tired of this nonsense. Most of the downloaded apps are not running. Furthermore there should be nothing that an app can do even if running which should effect the OS or other apps. That's the whole point of modern operating systems. That's why Apple bought NEXT. My OS X sometimes spins with the beachball, but I've never seen a kernel panic; and while apps may crash they don't bring down other apps or cause a reboot. This is bad. It's not the users fault. It's not the devs fault. It's the OSes fault.
  • Reply 165 of 212
    oak1oak1 Posts: 3member

I am dismayed that many naysayers on this serious IOS problem instead are attacking the problem reporters.   In my ATM business, if you walk up to my ATM on the day after I "gave you" $100 from the machine, and you ask for another $100, I don't deny you by saying "I gave you $100 yesterday, and that should tide you over until next week".   It's none of my business how much you need; I should just perform the advertised and expected ATM computer service.  Similarly if Apple has a problem with over 700 apps, they should deny app #701 being installed in the first place.   But regardless, let me respond to a couple of points raised by people not considering lifestyles beyond their own.  For example, if you are on a ship in the middle of the Pacific Ocean with expensive or zero web access, that would not be the moment to try downloading an emergency medical app that you had to delete because of this unadvertised Apple limitation.  And a First Aid app is an example of an app that you hope never to use, but want to have on your Ipad just in case.  There are plenty more examples and reasons you can end up with 1100 apps, especially in business, but I'll stop here.  Remember, there was NO problem with 1100, or even 1400, apps, up to IOS 6.  Apple fouled something up in IOS 7, and have not yet told its customers about it.  I'm disappointed in them.  Note, my Ipad v6 (the 128GB Air 2) arrived.  I downloaded a copy of my v5 backup to it, and it immediately rebooted some 50 times, then started up, but as soon as I tapped a folder, before every starting any App, it crashed every time.  Then about an hour later, after deleting just 2 apps,  it let me start doing a few basic tasks and now behaves (badly) just like my 128GB v5 Ipad...so this is definitely an IOS, not hardware, problem..  Unless IOS 8.1 comes out with a fix, sadly I may be stuck with this for many months to come, until some bright spark at Apple one day bumps into the bug...and a fix.

• Reply 166 of 212
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    This something that apple needs to look at and figure it out, pronto! Wether is user or not related it needs to be fix!
  • Reply 167 of 212
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

" Remember, there was NO problem with 1100, or even 1400, apps, up to IOS 6."

Just like my Phtotshop 3.0 worked fine until I upgraded to OS X?  Is the incompatibility of legacy software with a new operating system an OS issue or an application software issue?

?From my perspective it's an application software issue (meaning somewhere in those 700 or 1100 or whatever apps there are ones that have simply not been upgraded as of yet to be workable with iOS 8, or 8.1 etc.) which is rather straightforward probability, the odds for incompatible apps goes up as the collection size grows as does the chance of incompatibility as the iOS jump get's bigger than something more evolutionary  And the situations ARE directly comparab;e, unlike some meandering tale about dollar bills.

The APP store is filled with reviews pointing out incompatibility after iOS upgrades, which are then addressed by the app developers. with either patches or new versions.

• Reply 168 of 212
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by idrey View Post

This something that apple needs to look at and figure it out, pronto! Wether is user or not related it needs to be fix!

As developers get reviews on the app store complaining about app problems after iOS upgrades they get incentive to upgrade their app code to be usable, so people will keep downloading their app. The enduser world is great for that sort of feedback loops. Some do it proactively, I've had endless lists of apps getting updates in the background ever since iOS 8 was released (and admittedly a few days before). One of the benefits of that "background" update: clears out problems I didn't even encounter.

• Reply 169 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

?From my perspective it's an application software issue (meaning somewhere in those 700 or 1100 or whatever apps there are ones that have simply not been upgraded as of yet to be workable with iOS 8, or 8.1 etc.) which is rather straightforward probability, the odds for incompatible apps goes up as the collection size grows as does the chance of incompatibility as the iOS jump get's bigger than something more evolutionary  And the situations ARE directly comparab;e, unlike some meandering tale about dollar bills.

The APP store is filled with reviews pointing out incompatibility after iOS upgrades, which are then addressed by the app developers. with either patches or new versions.

Exactly ... and of course, while the victimized want to say that it will take too much time to actually determine if any particular app out of 700 can cause a problem, how about just scanning the app store to see if they are still compatible? Most amazing is the belief that if they were reloaded from a backup, obviously there will be no problem - not only do apps have to register somewhere within a database that they are on the device, but there are also possibilities of data corruption, no matter how bulletproof the backup is.

And finally for the Oak1 stuck on a boat in the middle of nowhere, I can sympathize with the issue of not having the app, but can you really tell me that you have 300 or 400 (or perhaps 800 in your case of 1100 apps) of those apps just sitting there in case an emergency happens? Are you really trying to say that not having those apps is a life or death situation? Geez, I hope that your iPhone battery never goes dead, or you better lock yourself in a room where nothing can happen to you or pray that some random event doesn't injure you so that you can't operate your iPhone.

I can't believe that people who are supposedly so reliant on their device that they can't pare their list of apps down to something workable. It's like throwing an epi-pen into your closet under 200 pairs of shoes, 50 pairs of pants, countless t-shirts, and a bunch of other junk and then panicking because you can't find it when you have an allergic reaction.

• Reply 170 of 212
    jfc1138 wrote: »

As developers get reviews on the app store complaining about app problems after iOS upgrades they get incentive to upgrade their app code to be usable, so people will keep downloading their app. The enduser world is great for that sort of feedback loops. Some do it proactively, I've had endless lists of apps getting updates in the background ever since iOS 8 was released (and admittedly a few days before). One of the benefits of that "background" update: clears out problems I didn't even encounter.

That is true alot of problems with apps get fix before i am even affected or aware of. But what if it is something with in ios or hardware! Not saying that it is, but it is good to look at every possibility. I am hoping that it is something as simple as just having all of the apps up to date and working in 64bit. Well "simple" as in no major problem other than that. Mean while i am very happy with my 6 and ios 8.1 :)
  • Reply 171 of 212
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Just like my Phtotshop 3.0 worked fine until I upgraded to OS X?  Is the incompatibility of legacy software with a new operating system an OS issue or an application software issue?

?From my perspective it's an application software issue (meaning somewhere in those 700 or 1100 or whatever apps there are ones that have simply not been upgraded as of yet to be workable with iOS 8, or 8.1 etc.)

Photoshop not working on OS X is entirely different than Photoshop causing your Mac to reboot.

iPhones crashing is Apple's issue. The expectation should be that the OS can contain anything an app does to misbehave. All operating systems fail at this at some level, but that's the target. Anything below that bar is on the OS, not the app.

• Reply 172 of 212
    Quote:

Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

Photoshop not working on OS X is entirely different than Photoshop causing your Mac to reboot.

iPhones crashing is Apple's issue. The expectation should be that the OS can contain anything an app does to misbehave. All operating systems fail at this at some level, but that's the target. Anything below that bar is on the OS, not the app.

Not really. There are system crashes within OS X that are only fixed by clearing caches and/or pref files in the library, especially when you are running older versions of applications. Unfortunately, while you can open the library folder in your home directory on OS X and clean that out, there is no equivalent way to do so within ios.

btw, this issue is the reason why iOS use the Sandbox - there isn't supposed to be any interaction between apps. Unfortunately, as users have asked for more inter-app sharing, various developers have found ways to hack iOS to allow for it ... hence causing possible issues when there are advances in later versions.

• Reply 173 of 212
    Quote:

Originally Posted by elehcdn View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

Not really. There are system crashes within OS X that are only fixed by clearing caches and/or pref files in the library, especially when you are running older versions of applications. Unfortunately, while you can open the library folder in your home directory on OS X and clean that out, there is no equivalent way to do so within ios.

btw, this issue is the reason why iOS use the Sandbox - there isn't supposed to be any interaction between apps. Unfortunately, as users have asked for more inter-app sharing, various developers have found ways to hack iOS to allow for it ... hence causing possible issues when there are advances in later versions.

I think that it is Apple's responsibility to ensure that no app is allowed to make the OS reboot. That must be a baseline.

• Reply 174 of 212
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I think that it is Apple's responsibility to ensure that no app is allowed to make the OS reboot. That must be a baseline.

But how can Apple remove an app that was made for iOS4 off of your phone - especially if the users don't even know that it is there because it was part of the their 700 app backup?

• Reply 175 of 212
    Quote:

Quote:

But how can Apple remove an app that was made for iOS4 off of your phone - especially if the users don't even know that it is there because it was part of the their 700 app backup?

Surely they have the power to prevent reboots at the low level without having to remove an app?

• Reply 176 of 212
    Quote:

Surely they have the power to prevent reboots at the low level without having to remove an app?

Perhaps, but occasionally even on OS X, I get weird behavior that gets fixed by dumping pref files and caches. Even if you never use an app, if it is loaded on a device, it still needs to be tracked and still needs to be in some sort of app database. At some point, the OS may reach out and query it to make sure it is still there and there may be some background process that can trigger issues. We are talking about executable files, not just data files that sit there and do nothing.

If you are getting system reboots, it probably isn't an inactive app, but there may be some background process from an old outdated app that may be causing issues, especially if the developer used some random code to enable data sharing between apps that are/were outside the Apple Sandboxing guidelines.

Mainly, I personally can't believe that anyone ever really needs to carry 700+ apps with them all the time or that they even have any idea of what is on their device if they have that many apps. Sure, Apple could build some sort of failsafe to make sure that they don't cause any issues but the majority of people are only going to have a small number of apps on their devices and most of them are going to be current and updated. To think that Apple will spend a bunch of QA time to try to sort out those issues, especially for apps that are a few generations old is optimistic, and just takes time away from moving ahead on new cooler applications. Plus, working in the pro software business I just hate when people expect things to be fixed when they are running old outdated software and aren't or can't do any troubleshooting.

• Reply 177 of 212
    Are pre-installed apps not accounted for under the general > about app count? It says i have 40 apps but i counted 70 apps in total. Never notice that before! So it tells me the ones i installed. There i answered my own question! Wow thats a lot of pre-installed apps (30) if i counted right
  • Reply 178 of 212
    Quote:

Perhaps, but occasionally even on OS X, I get weird behavior that gets fixed by dumping pref files and caches. Even if you never use an app, if it is loaded on a device, it still needs to be tracked and still needs to be in some sort of app database. At some point, the OS may reach out and query it to make sure it is still there and there may be some background process that can trigger issues. We are talking about executable files, not just data files that sit there and do nothing.

If you are getting system reboots, it probably isn't an inactive app, but there may be some background process from an old outdated app that may be causing issues, especially if the developer used some random code to enable data sharing between apps that are/were outside the Apple Sandboxing guidelines.

Mainly, I personally can't believe that anyone ever really needs to carry 700+ apps with them all the time or that they even have any idea of what is on their device if they have that many apps. Sure, Apple could build some sort of failsafe to make sure that they don't cause any issues but the majority of people are only going to have a small number of apps on their devices and most of them are going to be current and updated. To think that Apple will spend a bunch of QA time to try to sort out those issues, especially for apps that are a few generations old is optimistic, and just takes time away from moving ahead on new cooler applications. Plus, working in the pro software business I just hate when people expect things to be fixed when they are running old outdated software and aren't or can't do any troubleshooting.

Bugs in one operating system do not validate bugs in another operating system. The goal should be (and certainly is) to contain apps so that they don't hurt the OS. Either don't install them, or shut them off. You should be able to take some cutting edge 2G app that uses a bunch of OS loopholes for performance, and still have it exist on the phone w/out trouncing OS memory or trying to execute data as code.

This is a corner case that slipped through the cracks. The OS X is stable but has bugs. iOS is stable but has bugs. These bugs are not the fault of the software.

• Reply 179 of 212
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

Of course. The guys don't know what they are talking about. They seem to think that all 700 apps are running and any one of them can crash the OS. In fact there is no indication that any app causes the problem. It seems to be the number of apps installed. Running or not.
  • Reply 180 of 212
    I too am one of those who is experiencing the crashing problem with my brand now iPhone 6 plus. Yes I have tons of apps on my phone as my iPhone is almost my desktop replacement and much more. I use it for work, faxing, business, investment, games, music/instrument playing and writing, photo editing.....etc. the iPhone is so amazing and powerful that it is just a huge waste if one only use it for facebook and itune. Anyway all those posts attacking people with large numbers of apps are irrelevant. My iPhone 5s had no problem handling all those apps and the 6 should just work.

It appears that my 6 crashes whenever I have to assess the App Store to redownload apps, although it can happen anytime.