Microsoft inadvertently leaks 'Band' fitness wearable in new app, reveals 'Microsoft Health' [update

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2014
Microsoft's rumored wearable fitness tracker was inadvertently leaked online Wednesday when the company's first-party syncing app was posted to Apple's Mac App Store, disclosing a few key features of the unannounced device.

As seen in the above screenshot, taken from Microsoft's Band Sync Mac app, the Redmond tech giant's rumored wearable device is to be called "Microsoft Band," or simply "Band."

Not much can be gleaned from the app's release notes, which were also posted to the Android app store, but downloading the software yields more clues as to what Microsoft is planning with Band. In the Band Sync app's "About" section, a link to Microsoft's privacy policy for the device and related line of health-related products reveals Band will be able to "keep track of things like your heart rate, steps, calories burned, and sleep."

Further, a specialized service called "Microsoft Health" will collect information from Band, as well as push out notifications from a connected smartphone that can be read on the device's screen. Links within the privacy webpage point to a webpage for Band specifications, including the sensor suite and other hardware information, but the site is not yet live.

Interestingly, the Band webpage URLs refer to the device as "Lumia Band," suggesting the wearable was, or is, to be marketed as an accessory for the Lumia smartphone lineup. Originating with Nokia, the "Lumia" moniker has since been adopted by Microsoft after it acquired the Finnish company's handset business for $7.2 billion in 2013. The "Nokia" smartphone brand was recently killed off in favor of "Microsoft Lumia."

A release date for Microsoft Band is unknown, but rumors suggest a launch sometime in the fourth quarter.

Update: Microsoft Band was officially announced shortly after the initial app store leak surfaced. According to Re/code, the device will be connected to the cloud, features a UV sensor, galvanic skin sensors for monitoring stress and will last 48 hours on a single charge. Microsoft Band will go on sale this Thursday for $199.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 54
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    I found video of 'Microsoft's Health'

• Reply 2 of 54
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    I found video of 'Microsoft's Health'

Oh that was too funny, I spilled my wine!

I was going to ask if anyone knew how many viruses Microsoft had but your post was way funnier.
  • Reply 3 of 54
    Surprised it's not OneBand. The app will probably be OneHealth.

Too bad this didn't exist in the old days, I would have loved to see the readings during this: [URL=
  • Reply 4 of 54
    The mobile app is available for all Mobile OS. Looks to replace the Microsoft Health Vault apps. Appears to be hundreds of background tile colors for the Microsoft Band, and possible support for Voice and other app support.

Google Play:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.microsoft.kapp

Windows Phone App Store:
    http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/microsoft-health/0168b504-ca18-46b8-b60a-0f6fdc271c81
  • Reply 5 of 54
    It brings a whole new meaning to DOA for Microsoft products though ... :\
  • Reply 6 of 54
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Man I just look at that thing and then look at ?Watch...no contest. Yeah I know they serve different purposes but fitness bands are being cranked out by everybody these days. Heck, even Acer has a fitness band. I can only imagine the crap Apple would have gotten had ?Watch been a black rubber fitness band. Talk about boring.
  • Reply 8 of 54
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Oops.
  • Reply 9 of 54
    I'd like to think this was a controlled leak. But.......it's Microsoft.
  • Reply 10 of 54
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

I really like the idea of Microsoft Health.  When I think of Microsoft, the first thing I think of, actually, is health.  I don't think of geeky guys wearing button down shirts and ties.  I don't think of office workers eating vending machine food at their desks.  I think of health and fitness.  This is a perfect fit!

In other news, I just read about Nike Office, Nike Spreadsheets etc.

Sorry, feeling silly today.  And the internet is free to post!  

• Reply 11 of 54
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,033member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Surprised it's not OneBand. The app will probably be OneHealth.

Too bad this didn't exist in the old days, I would have loved to see the readings during this: http://youtu.be/wvsboPUjrGc

I'm surprised it's not ZuneBand. ;)

• Reply 12 of 54
    If Apple ever really sells the iRing, Samsung and Microsoft will not be far behind with Galaxy S-Ring and Lumia Ring R890.
  • Reply 13 of 54
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I presume all MS Bands comes with a label to get an MRI immediately because only someone with a severe head injury would buy an MS Band?

[SIZE=1]([@]Relic[/@], It's just a joke, I'm not really saying that people shouldn't buy this product.)[/SIZE]
  • Reply 14 of 54
    $199? Lol no.
  • Reply 15 of 54
    jonrojonro Posts: 64member
    It looks like a decent product, directly competing with the recently announced Fitbit Charge HR (which costs $50 less, but won't be available until early 2015). If the Band works with HealthKit, I'll definitely consider it. For me, this wouldn't be a watch replacement; I would use it as a fitness monitor, generating profiles of my heart rate during cardio and weight training. I may or may not end up with an iWatch. I do want to buy a fitness monitor that includes heart rate monitoring. I have a Fitbit One, but that only monitors motion.

Anyway, Microsoft could have a winner with the Band, but from what I've seen, the Fitbit Charge HR may be a better product.
  • Reply 16 of 54
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    at what angle do I have to hold my forearm to read the display on this thing? I don't think I can turn my arm like that. Fail!
  • Reply 17 of 54
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    My Profile Settings About

My Band Your band is connected

Who speaks like this? As far as I'm aware, I don't see labels stacked up like this in OS/X or iOS. Whenever I look at a Windows screen I feel like I'm interacting with a computer. That was amazing in the 80s, cool in the 90s, tolerable ten years ago... See where I'm going with this?
  • Reply 18 of 54
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    My Profile Settings About

My Band Your band is connected

Who speaks like this? As far as I'm aware, I don't see labels stacked up like this in OS/X or iOS. Whenever I look at a Windows screen I feel like I'm interacting with a computer. That was amazing in the 80s, cool in the 90s, tolerable ten years ago... See where I'm going with this?

Those are all separate things. My Band would presumably be some other name you can choose.
  • Reply 19 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Those are all separate things. My Band would presumably be some other name you can choose.

Methinks Radar was referring to the laziest of all possible user interfaces, the static left-hand nav.

• Reply 20 of 54
    Let us not forget Microsoft's mock funeral for the iPhone .... there has to be a MS Health band joke there somewhere ... :\