BlackBerry hopes to rekindle sales by reintroducing classic keyboard & form factor

Comments

• Reply 41 of 78
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AtDIelement View Post

Don't knock Snake... I used to play that for hours.

Oh so did I. But that was when I upgraded from a DPC550 to a Nokia 6162. I haven't played Snake since I then upgraded to the Siemens S46 (although its games were rubbish in comparison to Snake!).

• Reply 42 of 78
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    Naah, now that the patents on NewtonOS 1.0 are expired they're making the Newton BerryPad 2200.

With fax capability!
    The fax ability is important. Without it, Steven Seagal wouldn't have been able to save everyone in Under Siege 2.
    (I love my Newtons).
    The Newton was awesome. And kickstarted the PDA industry that led, ultimately, to the smartphones we have today.
  • Reply 43 of 78
    Love this.
    ajbdtc826 wrote: »
    Can't blame them for it. Kinda like those violists who kept playing as the Titanic sunk.
  • Reply 44 of 78
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

If you mean purchased by at least two teenagers, then I'll agree, but I don't think it will be a success among teenagers.

Try about 40 in a school of 130 kids, it's a trend thing, tomorrow it will be something else.

• Reply 45 of 78
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    The computer or the person? Both equally interesting ideas!

The person?
  • Reply 46 of 78
    shsfshsf Posts: 302member

Probably one of the funniest recent threads, but seriously though, they are offering a very valid proposition. I 'm over touchscreens for phones and I 'll reserve my 6 plus as an all around mini computer/camera/communication device with a sim just for that, but as a day to day work phone, I 'd gladly give a go at this blackberry, if the price is right. 

• Reply 47 of 78
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    relic wrote: »

I have a Passport, love it, one of the best phones I've owned in a long time, I am also one of those users who absolutely love hardware keyboards. I also have a Porsche Design P'9882, sadly no keyboard, I should have waited for the P'9883. The BlackBerry Classic will sell, especially to teenagers, there has been a pretty large BB Q10 movement here in Switzerland with the kids. My daughters school is flooded with them now, texting and posting.

Switzerland is that far behind in technology?
  • Reply 48 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djames4242 View Post

I completely agree. Most teens want to be seen with a cool device like an iPhone or (arguably) a Galaxy.

"Your BlackBerry is so cool!" ...said nobody (in the past couple of years) who is under 30 years old.

Orange, a Swiss mobile provider sells them on the cheap to students, just 25 to 55 CHF depending on the minutes and internet package. All internet packages are unlimited now, you pay for speed.

• Reply 49 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Switzerland is that far behind in technology?

Quite the contrary, we got the iPhone the same day the US did.

• Reply 50 of 78
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Try about 40 in a school of 130 kids, it's a trend thing, tomorrow it will be something else.

40 kids who literally use it for one day before choosing something else does not inspire. :D Seriously though, I really can't imagine there being a resurgence for such a limited device among teenagers. If BB is to survive they'll have to do better.
  • Reply 51 of 78
    Guys, it all depends on what you want from a 'phone'. I loved the old BB's, since they did EXACTLY what I wanted a phone to do: make high quality phone calls and be easy to send text messages. Add to that their software was quite intuitive with the ability to do things like add contacts, etc., and it was a good device. Unfortunately, the iPhone does not offer the easy text message part for me, and the on screen keyboards absolutely suck if you are a touch typist. Can you get used to it? Yeah, but when paying the kind of money Apple asks you to shell out, why should you HAVE to? I have an iPod, iPad, and MBP, so I am definitely NOT anti-Apple, but I do not have, nor do I want, an iPhone. Even with the larger screen of the iPad, trying to send text is just painful! Being a touch typist and older with not so good eyes, constantly zooming/unzooming and having to correct accidental touches of the keys on the screens and on screen keyboards of an iPhone is just plain frustrating.

My absolute biggest complaint is that BB is now using 'straight' keyboards instead of the ergonomic curved ones they used to have. I still carry an old 4 year old Curve, and it is, to me, the perfect PHONE. If BB came out with a replacement for it with updated software and a curved keyboard, I would buy it in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, I do not see that happening, so when this dies (probably soon), I have no idea of what to replace it with.

I do hope this helps a few of you who have never seen a BB understand the thinking of those who still like them.

KMBT
  • Reply 52 of 78
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    interesting. every day the amount of input that goes into my phone via speech-to-text increases. it seems i use the keyboard more for correcting speech-to-text than anything else. what's the quality of blackberry's speech-to-text? do they even have the function?
  • Reply 53 of 78
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    On a flyer: The smartphone you trust, with the power you couldn't imagine.

Do they imply that I have no imagination?
    How about that, dear Blackberry, imagine there is no Research in Motion...
    Oh... it's getting on to you?.. ;)
  • Reply 54 of 78
    market share drops = keep going back further into the products that allowed them to fall out of the market, inverse correlation anyone? They have a death grip on the past and it has one on them.

Coming soon: Rotary dial landline phones....

I think it's appropriate that for the Halloween season, Blackberry should loose a zombie product upon the continent....
  • Reply 55 of 78
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

Hey don't knock Blackberry It is a decent product still and Obama still owns one.

• Reply 56 of 78
    There are most likely many old-school people that misses the keyboard type of phones.. so i think its a good move for BlackBerry to have a version of keyboard type phone. Hope them good luck on there business move with that phone.
  • Reply 57 of 78
    djames4242 wrote: »

Oh so did I. But that was when I upgraded from a DPC550 to a Nokia 6162. I haven't played Snake since I then upgraded to the Siemens S46 (although its games were rubbish in comparison to Snake!).

I tried to download a couple of versions off of the App Store. It wasn't the same. ????
  • Reply 58 of 78
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    sockrolid wrote: »
    And the death spiral continues.
    How much longer can it possibly last?

Sometimes just surviving is winning.
  • Reply 59 of 78
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    marvfox wrote: »
    Hey don't knock Blackberry It is a decent product still and Obama still owns one.

And Kim Kardashian.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/10/28/technology/mobile/kim-kardashian-blackberry/
  • Reply 60 of 78

Next week they'll be banging rocks together, sending smoke signals and learning semaphore code.