Samsung suffered a 73.9% drop in Q3 mobile profits while Apple's rose 11.3 percent

Comments

• Reply 81 of 140
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    roake wrote: »

Anyone who states that nothing is inevitable has been drinking too long (or not long enough).  Will you live forever?  Is it possible that the US Government won't ask for taxes on income next year?  Maybe I'm a pessimist, but I think these are both inevitable.  People might get caught up in the statistics, stating "While there is a 99.99999999999999999999999999999% chance Apple won't be the market leader forever, that still isn't 100%."  I would argue that these people are not firmly grounded in reality.  I mean, perhaps it's possible that the in-vogue mobile device for the graduating class of 3014 will be the iPhone 1513S... It's possible, right?  Right?  But somehow I don't think so.  At risk of sounding foolish, I would be willing to go out on a limb and state that, yes, it's inevitable that Apple will one day lose their lead.  Sorry!

Now comes the part where it's claimed that Apple doesn't have a lead.
  • Reply 82 of 140
    Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

When Apple revolutionizes battery technology (with Tesla), Samsung can say goodbye to their phone business.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Introducing iPhone 7S, with two week battery life. And AppleWatch 3, with five day battery life.

Great stuff. image

That would be great but do not count on that soon. If DoD wanted, such technology would already be there. Imagine gps navigated minidrons flying all over there. So forgot that. ;-)

• Reply 83 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

Today will also be a watershed moment worth watching at Faux News, where all the ultraconservative commentators will be gnashing their teeth. They'll lament the destruction of patriotic, red-blooded heterosexual Corporate America. They'll call for boycotts of Apple products. They'll report breaking news - reactionary religious zealots will be organizing bonfires on their church front lawns where the true believers can trash and burn all their iDevices.

Fox News may have a right wing bias, but I doubt seriously anything close to what you describe will happen. Not sure why you felt the need to go there.

What news source do you prefer? MSNBC with their clearly (perhaps even more obvious than Fox on the right) left wing reporting? 

We need both, since we don't truly have an unbiased news channel out there anymore.

OOPS! Looks like you are wrong. Pretty "just the facts" article. Link to Fox News article on his statement.

Quote:

Originally posted by Fox News

NEW YORK –  Apple CEO Tim Cook says he's proud to be gay.

The public declaration, in an essay written for Bloomberg Businessweek, makes Cook the highest-profile business CEO to come out.

Cook said that while he never denied his sexuality, he never publicly acknowledged it, either. The executive said that for years he's been open with many people about his sexual orientation and that plenty of his Apple colleagues know he is gay.

Cook wrote in the column published Thursday that it wasn't an easy choice to publicly disclose that he is gay, but that he felt the acknowledgement could potentially help others.

"I've come to realize that my desire for personal privacy has been holding me back from doing something more important," he wrote.

Cook added that he considers "being gay among the greatest gifts God has given me."

The executive said he's been lucky to work for a company that "loves creativity and innovation and knows it can only flourish when you embrace people's differences."

Cook said that he will continue to focus on being the best CEO he can be and will personally continue to advocate for equality for all people.

Now, I will give you that their link is a little text link under "Latest News" versus the huge, #1 story on msnbc.com and a smaller, yet still featured story on cnn.com. But it is hardly the "pitchfork and torches" tale you tell.

• Reply 84 of 140
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

He's saying it because nothing lasts forever, as marvelous as Apple's accomplishments are

(and will continue to be, for however long).

It isn't as though anyone's wishing for it.

But you always chase the lead dog, and, sooner or later, a better dog comes along.  

And, as industries go, this is an especially volatile one by nature.

Let's just enjoy it and hope we have years and years to do so.

Nonsense. Name one such dog. Even in the remote horizon.

He was trolling. Perhaps you are too.

This isn't specifically about Apple or any other one company.  

It's about historical perspective, and the nature of change, and the transience of humanity.

Companies don't last, countries don't last, religions don't last, scientific paradigms don't last,

None of them last forever.

I don't have to guess who or what will topple Apple to know that someone or something eventually will.

Again, it isn't like I'm wishing for it, or expecting it soon.

And neither I nor the original poster is suggesting it would be Samsung that does it.

It's the simple logic of the long view, and for that matter, it almost happened to Apple once,

which should tell you "nothing's sacred" in this respect.

But to suggest that stating the obvious is merely trolling is, I think, a bit below the usual tenor of your posts.

• Reply 85 of 140
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DGNR8 View Post

Apple has to be careful here. Their competitor is also their supplier and if Samsung feels threatened they could cause a disruption to Apples supply chain.

I would believe (with this being Mr. Cook's expertise to diversify the supply chain) would and should have contingency plan for this as I hope they have the same for Sapphire supply.

Just putting my thoughts out there...

Samsung already does feel threatened, but the relationship is symbiotic, so,

they'd be hurting themselves when they need less of that to happen.

Apple has shown a willingness to test other sources already.

As for "putting your thoughts out there"...well, they say,

"no good deed goes unpunished". ;)

• Reply 86 of 140
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

for those who would gloat ... apple will be in the same position one day. not if, but when. just sayin'.

You are right, however, keep in mind that Samsung rose and fell in 3 yrs and Apple has been on the raise for 14 yrs now, as long as they do not get in the race to the bottom they will be fine.

• Reply 87 of 140
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    boredumb wrote: »
    This isn't specifically about Apple or any other one company.  
    It's about historical perspective, and the nature of change, and the transience of humanity.
    Companies don't last, countries don't last, religions don't last, scientific paradigms don't last,
    None of them last forever.
    I don't have to guess who or what will topple Apple to know that someone or something eventually will.
    Again, it isn't like I'm wishing for it, or expecting it soon.
    And neither I nor the original poster is suggesting it would be Samsung that does it.
    It's the simple logic of the long view, and for that matter, it almost happened to Apple once,
    which should tell you "nothing's sacred" in this respect.

But to suggest that stating the obvious is merely trolling is, I think, a bit below the usual tenor of your posts.

I agree with you up to a point. I don't see anyone toppling Apple, but I do see other companies taking more of the pie. There are plenty of companies that have maintained a dominant position for decades, and while they're not as strong as they were once were they're not in danger of being toppled.
  • Reply 88 of 140
    tommcintommcin Posts: 108member
    I wonder what the loss in income was for the SameSong top executives. I imagine the hurt in SameSong is confined to the lower levels and stock holders.
  • Reply 89 of 140
    dimmok wrote: »
    Say it again...."Samsung is now earning about one third of Apple's profits while still shipping over twice as many phones"

To be followed by: Apple has lost its mojo, no longer innovates and is dying on the vine.
  • Reply 90 of 140
    cali wrote: »
    Yet another dragon slayed by Apple.

Should we pop the champagne now or wait until this filthy beast stops breathing?

This news is certainlly worth a lengthy ????????????????????????????????????????????????
  • Reply 91 of 140
    realistic wrote: »
    Glad to hear that Samsung is struggling but I won't gloat, yet. A wounded animal tends to be extremely dangerous before it dies. If the animal survives it tends to become even more cunning and dangerous than it was before.

Very dangerous: they might notice three edges of the Galaxy Note Edge are not covered with screen and do something about it. Then what will Apple do?
  • Reply 92 of 140
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Roake View Post

Anyone who states that nothing is inevitable has been drinking too long (or not long enough).  Will you live forever?  Is it possible that the US Government won't ask for taxes on income next year?  Maybe I'm a pessimist, but I think these are both inevitable.  People might get caught up in the statistics, stating "While there is a 99.99999999999999999999999999999% chance Apple won't be the market leader forever, that still isn't 100%."  I would argue that these people are not firmly grounded in reality.  I mean, perhaps it's possible that the in-vogue mobile device for the graduating class of 3014 will be the iPhone 1513S... It's possible, right?  Right?  But somehow I don't think so.  At risk of sounding foolish, I would be willing to go out on a limb and state that, yes, it's inevitable that Apple will one day lose their lead.  Sorry!

I think making such an approach is very narrow sighted.

You are correct, in the class of 3014, they may not be using an iPhone. Who knows what?

But saying Apple won't be a part of the future just because companies don't last forever is a ridiculous argument.

Who knows what the future looks like, and whether Apple will or will not be a part of it.

If Apple continues to hire smart people, and the next CEO, and CEO after him is just as bright as Steve or Tim, then it's quite likely.

Apple has a huge advantage over startups and most medium-large business, they have resources, an enormous network, public spotlight, capital and very intelligent people. Just to mention a few. And with Apple's current standing as of 2014, Apple amongst a few others are by far the most likely of any company to continue to run in a hundred years time.

Whether you think that is foolish or not is your opinion. 

In my opinion, it's simply staying above the game - one step ahead. Where the puck is going. And most important adapting to change. Apple is great at adapting. Maybe in 100 years we'll all have a chip implanted into our head that allows us to just think and access the internet using something like Siri. Who knows? And in my opinion, it's very short sighted and narrow minded to not think Apple may be a company that develops that sort of chip in the future with the position and past they have.

• Reply 93 of 140
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    starbird73 wrote: »
    Fox News may have a right wing bias, but I doubt seriously anything close to what you describe will happen. Not sure why you felt the need to go there.

What news source do you prefer? MSNBC with their clearly (perhaps even more obvious than Fox on the right) left wing reporting? 

We need both, since we don't truly have an unbiased news channel out there anymore.

OOPS! Looks like you are wrong. Pretty "just the facts" article. Link to Fox News article on his statement.

Now, I will give you that their link is a little text link under "Latest News" versus the huge, #1 story on msnbc.com and a smaller, yet still featured story on cnn.com. But it is hardly the "pitchfork and torches" tale you tell.
    The day is still early. The comments haven't begun. Wait a few hours.

(Update one hour later)

Here we go. See comments.

http://nation.foxnews.com/2014/10/30/apple-ceo-tim-cook-comes-out-‘i’m-proud-be-gay’

Homophobes catering to a homophobic demographic.
  • Reply 94 of 140

Samsung has already harvested all the low-hanging fruit. Copying the iPhone UI and hardware is not much of a technical challenge, and the low-end competitors who are eating Samsung's lunch are now demonstrating that copying the copy is even easier.

The fact is that high-end devices now require high-end capabilities like, say, Apple Pay. The technology is necessary, but not sufficient. And this is Samsung's mistake, investing only in the technology. When you look at the years of innovation, but more importantly the negotiation and partnership that Apple invested to make it a reality, you start to understand what Steve meant when he said Apple stands at the corner of technology and liberal arts. And it becomes clear why Samsung can't just duplicate Apple's success anymore.

• Reply 95 of 140
    aduzik wrote: »
    Samsung has already harvested all the low-hanging fruit. Copying the iPhone UI and hardware is not much of a technical challenge, and the low-end competitors who are eating Samsung's lunch are now demonstrating that copying the copy is even easier.

The fact is that high-end devices now require high-end capabilities like, say, Apple Pay. The technology is necessary, but not sufficient. And this is Samsung's mistake, investing only in the technology. When you look at the years of innovation, but more importantly the negotiation and partnership that Apple invested to make it a reality, you start to understand what Steve meant when he said Apple stands at the corner of technology and liberal arts. And it becomes clear why Samsung can't just duplicate Apple's success anymore.

Unique and difficult to reproduce differentiators like Touch ID and Apple Pay are essential to keeping Apple ahead of the gaggle of thieves and copycats. Future innovations will probably cost billions to reproduce, further ensuring Apple's leader position.
  • Reply 96 of 140
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

To show you how screwed up the market is, Samsung a made their announcement and instead of being pounded in to the dirt their stock is up. Apple makes a killer announcement and the market focuses on ipad sales down and stock is flat for a few days then goes up, I think it only went up is due to the fact they knew Samsung was sucking wind.

• Reply 97 of 140
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Unique and difficult to reproduce differentiators like Touch ID and Apple Pay are essential to keeping Apple ahead of the gaggle of thieves and copycats. Future innovations will probably cost billions to reproduce, further ensuring Apple's leader position.

I think Apple saw that patents were no protection at all, and thus investing heavily in the areas that provide differentiate & usefulness, but are difficult to copy quickly.  They were hoping that sapphire covers might be one as well (and possibly still can be in future), as if the tech challenges could be worked out, then it was useful (more scratch resistance) & a differentiator (a jewel of an phone compared to competition).

• Reply 98 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

The day is still early. The comments haven't begun. Wait a few hours.

(Update one hour later)

Here we go. See comments.

http://nation.foxnews.com/2014/10/30/apple-ceo-tim-cook-comes-out-‘i’m-proud-be-gay’

Homophobes catering to a homophobic demographic.

Not a Fox News defender, but you can't blame the comments of users on the company. Plus, you said commentators, implying those that work for the channel.

But those comments disgust me.

• Reply 99 of 140
    brucemc wrote: »
    I think Apple saw that patents were no protection at all, and thus investing heavily in the areas that provide differentiate & usefulness, but are difficult to copy quickly.  They were hoping that sapphire covers might be one as well (and possibly still can be in future), as if the tech challenges could be worked out, then it was useful (more scratch resistance) & a differentiator (a jewel of an phone compared to competition).

I look forward to the day Apple is able to make a thin, transparent phone that has the appearance of a large phone-shaped diamond that is charged continuously wirelessly.
  • Reply 100 of 140
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    headline: Samsung is "gay for losing money".../facetious
    also a joke on the fact that Samsung has a habit of "being inspired" by Apple...

meaning if someone is "gay for tacobell" (first heard this on sirius XM radio's outQ radio...) it means they really like tacobell...