Logitech launches Type+ & Ultrathin keyboards for iPad Air 2, ultraportable Keys-To-Go for all model

Posted:
in iPad edited November 2014
Logitech this week updated its Type+ and Ultrathin keyboard cases to be compatible with Apple's new iPad Air 2, and also introduced a new standalone ultraportable wireless iPad keyboard dubbed Keys-To-Go.

The new Logitech Type+ for iPad Air 2 is a thin and light two-sided protective case. It connects to the iPad via Bluetooth, and attaches to the tablet magnetically

The Logitech Type+ also has an automatic on/off feature, including auto-off when the keyboard is laid flat for browsing. Priced at $99.99, it's available in black, dark blue, bright red, bright green, electric blue or violet.

The Logitech Ultrathin has also been updated for the iPad Air 2. It's also a case-keyboard combo that protects the screen of the tablet when on the go.

Made of high-grade aluminum material, the Ultrathin boasts a battery life of up to two years. It also has an adjustable magnetic slot to allow the iPad Air 2 to be angled, it comes in space grey and silver, and it's priced at $89.99.

Finally, the Logitech Keys-To-Go are intended for all iPads, serving as a standalone ultraportable keyboard just 6.1mm thick and weighing 180 grams. The keys offer tactile feedback, but are fused into a water-repellant FabricSkin covering that protects it from spills and dirt.

Keys-To-Go come with a rechargeable battery that lasts up to three months on a single charge. The keyboard is compatible with all generations of iPad and iPad mini, is available in black, red and teal, and sells for $69.99.

For more cases and keyboards for the iPad Air 2, iPad mini 3 and more, see AppleInsider's complete roundup guide.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

I have to say, logitech does truly make excellent accessories.

• Reply 2 of 24
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    slurpy wrote: »
    I have to say, logitech does truly make excellent accessories.

Agreed. I have two wireless mice from the mid 1990s and they still work perfectly on a Mac or a PC all these years later on the odd occasion I need them.
  • Reply 3 of 24

I'm certainly interested in an Ultrathin for my Air 2. I haven't had a keyboard for my iPad in the past, but with the amount of typing I'm doing these days, certainly beneficial. 

• Reply 4 of 24
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Apple really need to upgrade iOS so it can support bluetooth mouse. Without a mouse the keyboard is only marginally useful.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    tzeshan wrote: »
    Apple really need to upgrade iOS so it can support bluetooth mouse. Without a mouse the keyboard is only marginally useful.

Sarcasm noted.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    I am wondering if any users of Logitech's previous iterations of iPad keyboards have experienced a similar problem that I have encountered with my iPad Mini. Although the keyboard has a great interface, wonderful feel and zero Bluetooth issues, it does not allow the use of Apple's autocorrect. I did a bit of research and found that Apple does not allow the use of autocorrect on third party keyboards. Is this true? Have I been misled? Is it a situation experienced only by the keyboard I own? I really want to like the keyboard, and it is wonderful, except for this simple function that I have ashamedly come to rely on.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    Wow! Logitech seems to have found the right track again!
    ????
  • Reply 8 of 24

I have a question on Apple Pay.  Since the Apple Pay article was too old, I will post it here.  Do you get a receipt?  Could you return/exchange items?

• Reply 9 of 24
    Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

I have a question on Apple Pay.  Since the Apple Pay article was too old, I will post it here.  Do you get a receipt?  Could you return/exchange items?

I believe you can see ‘recent purchases’, whatever that means. Since an itemized list of your purchases would appear on your bank/credit card’s website, couldn’t you use those as proof of sale for returns?

• Reply 10 of 24
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I believe you can see ‘recent purchases’, whatever that means. Since an itemized list of your purchases would appear on your bank/credit card’s website, couldn’t you use those as proof of sale for returns?

On a regular receipt there is a bar code for the purchase.  The retailer use it for refund/exchange.

• Reply 11 of 24
    ibeamibeam Posts: 322member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You realize that the purchase history both on the CC website and in passbook are just the totals. It does not itemize the line items so if you went to the computer store and bought a monitor and a hard drive but wanted to return only one of the items there would be no way to show what you paid for the item, no sales tax, extended warranty, discount, rewards, nada. That my friend is why you need a receipt. Not to mention that the store's return desk would prefer to scan the bar code printed on a real receipt to bring up the transaction on the computer.

• Reply 12 of 24
    elehcdnelehcdn Posts: 388member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ibeam View Post

You realize that the purchase history both on the CC website and in passbook are just the totals. It does not itemize the line items so if you went to the computer store and bought a monitor and a hard drive but wanted to return only one of the items there would be no way to show what you paid for the item, no sales tax, extended warranty, discount, rewards, nada. That my friend is why you need a receipt. Not to mention that the store's return desk would prefer to scan the bar code printed on a real receipt to bring up the transaction on the computer.

ApplePay is a payment device, just like cash or a credit card. I remember the days when cc receipts were nothing more than a receipt for the charge authorization - when there was not an itemized list on the credit card receipt, and even now, people that use the small adjunct CC processor don't provide itemization. If you do a quick search on the Apple support forums, they state that they are only the payment provider, not the seller and that you should ask your seller for a receipt.

I would expect that sometime in the future, there would be an option to have the receipt emailed to you, but I don't know if Apple would include that in ApplePay since it would mean having to expose personal information.

• Reply 13 of 24
    Quote:

Originally Posted by elehcdn View Post

ApplePay is a payment device, just like cash or a credit card. I remember the days when cc receipts were nothing more than a receipt for the charge authorization - when there was not an itemized list on the credit card receipt, and even now, people that use the small adjunct CC processor don't provide itemization. If you do a quick search on the Apple support forums, they state that they are only the payment provider, not the seller and that you should ask your seller for a receipt.

I would expect that sometime in the future, there would be an option to have the receipt emailed to you, but I don't know if Apple would include that in ApplePay since it would mean having to expose personal information.

Paper receipt should be eliminated in the future to save the environment.  May be Apple Pay can use something like the paperless boarding pass by many airlines?  

• Reply 14 of 24
    takeotakeo Posts: 445member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Agreed. I have two wireless mice from the mid 1990s and they still work perfectly on a Mac or a PC all these years later on the odd occasion I need them.

Hmm... every Logitech mouse I've ever owned died after a year. The third time it happened I gave up and switched to Microsoft mice. Much better in my experience (maybe the ONE thing MS does really well... haha). I guess YMMV.

• Reply 15 of 24
    I'll definitely be getting one of these.... had an Ultrathin for for my iPad 3 which was excellent and last week bought and tried the Ultrathin iPad Air version as the screen dimensions on the Air 2 hadn't changed. It worked beautifully as a cover but I forgot to factor in the reduced thickness (:embarrass) for the keyboard stand and it just wouldn't sit right in the magnetic groove so it went back.... been waiting for the announcement of a proper Air 2 version since.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    r00fusr00fus Posts: 245member
    Anyone used the Bluetooth Easy-switch keyboard? The "switch" key seems pretty cool (to avoid the bluetooth disconnect/reconnect dance) - thinking about getting one for my living room.

[1] http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/illuminated-keyboard-for-mac-ipad-iphone?crid=1240
  • Reply 17 of 24
    davemcm76 wrote: »
    I'll definitely be getting one of these.... had an Ultrathin for for my iPad 3 which was excellent and last week bought and tried the Ultrathin iPad Air version as the screen dimensions on the Air 2 hadn't changed. It worked beautifully as a cover but I forgot to factor in the reduced thickness (:embarrass) for the keyboard stand and it just wouldn't sit right in the magnetic groove so it went back.... been waiting for the announcement of a proper Air 2 version since.

I am sorry to continue to harp on this, but I am very curious; did you have any issues with Apple's autocorrect while you were using it? I am very interested in a keyboard, but the Logitech keyboard I currently use does not support it.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    I am sorry to continue to harp on this, but I am very curious; did you have any issues with Apple's autocorrect while you were using it? I am very interested in a keyboard, but the Logitech keyboard I currently use does not support it.

I can't say it was something I'd ever really paid much attention to at the time, but thinking back I do seem to remember that autocorrect didn't happen when using the external keyboard. I don't know if it's that you are expected to be able to type more accurately on a physical keyboard or possibly because the autocorrect functionality is actually part of the on screen keyboard itself which then isn't visible or active when using an external one.

Given that iOS 8 lets you replace the built in autocorrect within 3rd party keyboards I'd say it's quite likely the latter, but it's just speculation.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    davemcm76 wrote: »
    Given that iOS 8 lets you replace the built in autocorrect within 3rd party keyboards I'd say it's quite likely the latter, but it's just speculation.

I would tend to agree as well. I hope that there will be options for 3rd party use of autocorrect now that iOS 8 has this functionality. Thanks!!!
  • Reply 20 of 24
    elehcdn wrote: »
    ibeam wrote: »

I must say, that defeats the whole object of Apple Pay for me.

The one thing I was looking forward to is having all receipts either emailed automatically or stored in one place on the iPhone, ready to be exported for tax purposes.

If Apple Pay doesn't do this, it's not as useful or as convenient as I had hoped.