NXP hopes Apple's adoption of NFC will encourage automakers to use its chips to replace car keys

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2015
Chipmaker NXP, which is believed to supply the near-field communications chips found in the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, hopes automakers will adopt its technology, potentially enabling future car owners to unlock and even start their car with their smartphone.

CarPlay

NXP's push to have automakers utilize its NFC wireless technology was spotlighted on Thursday by Reuters, which said the company is hoping that the excitement over NFC radios in Apple's latest iPhones will help drive sales to new markets, including the automotive space.

The moves also come as Apple is said to be talking to potential partners for new uses for the NFC technology found in the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, and coming next year to the Apple Watch. In particular, Apple is said to be exploring uses for NFC that would go well beyond mobile payments, allowing iPhone users to pay for public transit or enter a secure building by just tapping their handset at an appropriate terminal.

NXP sees that same functionality coming to cars, and hopes that automakers will get on board. With NFC, users could unlock and start their vehicle, and even pair their smartphone with their car's infotainment system with a simple tap.

For now, the NFC chips in the iPhone 6 series are restricted to Apple Pay, the company's new mobile wallet service. But it's expected that Apple might open up NFC capabilities to third-party developers for new uses down the road, much like the company has done with the Touch ID fingerprint sensor found in recent iPhone models, which can be used to securely access compatible applications in iOS 8.

NXP's interest also comes as automakers are slowly embracing Apple's new CarPlay platform, which allows iPhone users to view content and control their handset from their vehicle's infotainment system. Companies such as BMW, Ford and General Motors have all committed to offering CarPlay in future vehicles, and one estimate has suggested that CarPlay could be available in more than 24 million vehicles by 2019.

While Apple typically doesn't disclose its supplier partners and NXP hasn't confirmed its presence in the new iPhone, third-party teardowns of the new iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus have confirmed that the devices feature NXP-built NFC chips. The same company also supplies the M7 and M8 motion coprocessors in Apple's iOS devices.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member

I would like to see this happen. They we wouldn't have to worry about replacing the key fob. I'd also go with garage door openers and door locks. Why not use the device you carry to do these things instead of having to carry a bunch of openers and remotes?

• Reply 2 of 38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

I would like to see this happen. They we wouldn't have to worry about replacing the key fob. I'd also go with garage door openers and door locks. Why not use the device you carry to do these things instead of having to carry a bunch of openers and remotes?

I agree 10000000000000%....so much potential.

• Reply 3 of 38
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I think this is a good idea. I do believe that there are some cars that allow you to do this with an app, though I'm not sure how it's done, as I don't have a car, and so haven't investigated it.
  • Reply 4 of 38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I think this is a good idea. I do believe that there are some cars that allow you to do this with an app, though I'm not sure how it's done, as I don't have a car, and so haven't investigated it.

What about using it to pay for a NYC cab? No more cash and easier than using a credit card.

• Reply 5 of 38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I think the Model S and the BMW i3 (or whatever it is) allow this.

• Reply 6 of 38

Can't wait for the day!

Of course, we will then be hit with a week+ worth of ACX (a group of auto retailers) suddenly shutting off support the day after, saying they have a new system coming in the next 9 months or so...

;)

• Reply 7 of 38
    Lots of potential uses, though security has to be the position from the ground up.

@rob53 Given the maximum range of NFC (Near Field Communication) as determined by physics is around 4-8 inches, usage on door locks is reasonable but garage doors not so much.
  • Reply 8 of 38
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member

So if someone steals your phone you can't get home because you can't get into your car. Or they can take your phone and then use it to steal your car. 

Of course if you have a password/touch ID setup they wouldn't get very far. 

I am not sure how al the NFC works but if there is a way to spoof the chip ID then it could be a big security risk - though with pairing and such there are likely multiple bits of data flowing between the devices. A case where the car recognizes a trusted device based on chip ID alone would not be very secure. 

• Reply 9 of 38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Axcess99 View Post

Lots of potential uses, though security has to be the position from the ground up.

@rob53 Given the maximum range of NFC (Near Field Communication) as determined by physics is around 4-8 inches, usage on door locks is reasonable but garage doors not so much.

My garage door opener uses a random code generator that programs the remote by holding it right next to the opener (pain when it's up high). I can reprogram anytime I wish, including programming new remotes. My vision would be to use NFC to program an iPhone or any remote, then WiFi using TouchID to activate the door opener. This should provide adequate security and could use one-time code managed by the remote application keeping someone from sniffing the wireless activity. A combination of HomeKit, TouchID, NFC, and an app all working together. Would this work for you?

• Reply 10 of 38
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member

I agree 10000000000000%....so much potential.

In a few years ... "Siri, start the car and drive fly it to the car wish and bring it back" :D
  • Reply 11 of 38
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    starbird73 wrote: »
    Can't wait for the day!

Of course, we will then be hit with a week+ worth of ACX (a group of auto retailers) suddenly shutting off support the day after, saying they have a new system coming in the next 9 months or so...

;)

News headlines 2016 "Walmart and CVS block signals to stop cars from being opened or started with Apple equipment in their parking lots"
  • Reply 12 of 38
    simtubsimtub Posts: 277member
    iWatch to start your car!
  • Reply 13 of 38
    What happened to Bluetooth? I would rather walk up to my car and never take my phone out of my pocket...
  • Reply 14 of 38

ApplePay already works in cabs in NYC

• Reply 15 of 38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by baseballrob99 View Post

What happened to Bluetooth? I would rather walk up to my car and never take my phone out of my pocket...

It is a security issue... Bluetooth was designed for persistent communication over a period of time with lower security requirements versus NFC which is more about short burst of data exchange specially with Passive devices (which ApplePay tries to make it more secure with TouchId).

• Reply 16 of 38
    simtubsimtub Posts: 277member
    Or have TouchID built into your CarPlay hardware to start the car - although you'd have to take your gloves off in Winter.
  • Reply 17 of 38
    rob53 wrote: »
    What about using it to pay for a NYC cab? No more cash and easier than using a credit card.

Random thought born out of your cabpay example - I wonder if there's been any planning into a prompt for tip amount with pop up examples, x .15 or . x .20 etc. Starbucks app integration prompts after the initial transaction is complete. I'd think something like that would be needed for closing out service transactions like your cab example or NFC pay at a restaurant. Reckon it could be handled at the POS interface as well.
  • Reply 18 of 38
    I can't wait to be stuck in a parking lot because my phone died, so now I can't start my car, or even get into it, and can't call anyone to bring my real keys. And can't even go into a store somewhere and wait with a coke because my dead phone is also my wallet.

Yeah, I will keep my car keys, and wallet, thanks.
  • Reply 19 of 38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mehran View Post

ApplePay already works in cabs in NYC

Thanks. Shows you how much I know about using a cab. :-)

Last time I was in a cab was in NYC racing another cab down 5th Ave in the wee hours of the morning with a bunch of others attending a conference (actually partying after the conference). I don't remember how we paid but I doubt we used a credit card (horse and buggy days).

• Reply 20 of 38

if you wana get the best free apps for your iphone, ipad, and ipod touch you are reading the lucky comment now just click and visit this website : http://www.panguios8.net/