'I'm proud to be gay,' Apple CEO Tim Cook says in open letter supporting equality

Comments

• Reply 221 of 650

:smokey:

• Reply 222 of 650
    Really?

I'm not so sure women should vote. They have more than enough to occupy them between the kitchen and the bedroom.

Best to leave the important decisions to us guys.

Someone is going to think you were serious here.
  • Reply 223 of 650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

The issue is clearing out the clutter that collect around APPLE's message.  a good CEO will see a question formed by the public, reflect on the best way to answer it, answer it, and move on.

Between the hiring practices reviews the press has made, Apple's involvement in Pride parades, and the press alluding to his sexual orientation, Tim took a couple weeks, formed an answer, and stated it.   Typical Apple way.   Antennagate.  OptionsGate.   GreenpeaceGate.  FoxconnSuicideGate.   

To your straw man argument, if his personal views were being painted on Apple's Policies (like changing their health benefits), and there were questions about how APPLE was fostering a Pro-Life Agenda due to the feelings of their execs, then he would be obligated to speak.  

I think you're at risk of confusing 'religious' obligation (which is a whole other angle) with 'personal' obligation.  

Personal issues: no obligation to speak.

Corporate issues: obligation for CEO to speak.

Religious: Depends on the religion.

Political Issue: See all of the above;-)

The grey area which then leads to: Human rights issue ('self-evident' truths).  Obligated to speak/act.

The problem is human rights is a political issue that religion and corporate ($$$) tend to make 'messy', because politics is about 'us' and 'them' and never about 'we.'

It would be easy to simply tuck personal, religious, and political issues into separate boxes, but we know there are issues where that's not realistic. @TheOtherGeoff, please enlighten more.

BTW, this wouldn't have happened under Steve. Never.

• Reply 224 of 650
    Thank you Tim for helping humanity expand its capacity to be more tolerate. My life is richer because of your courage, authenticity, and truth.
  • Reply 225 of 650
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Someone is going to think you were serious here.

Hopefully dry English humor ... :\
  • Reply 226 of 650
    rogifan wrote: »
    Cook said in his editorial that he doesn't want to be an activist. So long as he sticks to that I don't see any issues. If he starts using Apple to become activist then I could see it turning people off. Because there are plenty of people who own Apple products that don't share the same political viewpoint as Tim Cook.

I was just out getting a hair cut and could hear this being a big deal on the news on the TV there. Apparently 53% of LBGT folks in the US work force are currently working without being able to be open due to work regs or what ever. If Tim can help this ridiculous situation in 2014, perhaps one day this may all seem as absurd to even be discussing as 'should women vote?' Which no doubt got all the same types all riled up back when.

Really?

I'm not so sure women should vote. They have more than enough to occupy them between the kitchen and the bedroom.

Best to leave the important decisions to us guys.

Yeah ...

We guys think with our stomachs and our pricks!
  • Reply 227 of 650
    Thank you Tim for helping humanity expand its capacity to be more tolerate. My life is richer because of your courage, authenticity, and truth.
  • Reply 228 of 650
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Yeah ...

We guys think with our stomachs and our pricks!

At our age that means antacid pills and prostate pills sadly! :D / wait why am I laughing ... :\
  • Reply 229 of 650
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Sorry to hear minorities or those not considered 'normal' somehow, pushing agendas to try to change things are annoying for you. If you read some history you might find a lot of good eventually comes from these actions, you know like women nearly being treated equally in a few countries and so on ...

I do know a lot about history, so I wouldn't go there. The issue I have, like I said earlier, is people making a big deal about being gay. It's 2014. Most people, including myself, don't care. Are we going to have breaking news every time someone comes out? Breaking news: the first gay airline pilot, breaking news: the first gay astronaut, etc. That's why it's annoying to me. 

• Reply 230 of 650
    dsddsd Posts: 186member

What was Alan Turing really like?

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-27701207

• Reply 231 of 650
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

On a lighter note ...

I can remember in the late 1960s where women weren't allowed to wear pants suits or slacks in the office.

In that same era, Sammy Davis Jr. Played in the big hotels on the Las Vegas Strip -- but wasn't allowed to stay in them.

I'll add to that.  Thurgood Marshall was the chief lawyer for the NAACP back in the 1950s who among other things, argued Brown vs. Board of Education in front of the Supreme Court that we would later join.  He was also a close friend of my grandfather.  When he used to visit my grandparents in Opelika, AL during this period, he always traveled under an assumed name since he was afraid of getting lynched in Alabama.  Seriously.  This was the Alabama Tim Cook grew up in.  And just because that Alabama was being dragged kicking and screaming into the land of civil rights for blacks in the 1970s doesn't mean that it was anything different for the LGBT community from Alabama of pre-1965.

• Reply 232 of 650
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MessagePad2100 View Post

Apple :  It Gets Better.

Great video. And although it may go some way to explain why Tim chose to come out officially on a personal level, it certainly shows why he chose to use his position as the CEO of Apple to do so. This will get a  lot of attention and it really doesn't matter what the bigots say. Bigots will be bigots, but there are a lot of people out there for whom this announcement may be very important. We may think being gay matters little in this day and age but as this video shows it matters a lot. 

There is nothing political about this. Is very cool and it is very Apple.

• Reply 233 of 650
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Tim Cook gay.

Deal with it.

If you know anything about gay people you will know that they "can" be the most abusive, ruthless and jealous people when their partner cheats  in  a relationship. Watch out Samsung.  Not saying that Tim is like that. Just don't cross one

• Reply 234 of 650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by semi_guy View Post

Who cares! If he wants to be a politician, many american non-gay confident minorities could use some help too... They just have harder time disguising themselves as white male guys to get access to some of the same opportunities...

Yeah, all those Asian people need some help, I mean, they're only somewhat more successful than the 'dirty white people'. /s

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

The iPad situation as you attempt to portray it has absolutely nothing to do whatsoever with Tim outing himself and you know it.

If Tim is occupied with other stuff besides directing Apple, then as a shareholder I have a right to be concerned.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Sorry to hear minorities or those not considered 'normal' somehow, pushing agendas to try to change things are annoying for you. If you read some history you might find a lot of good eventually comes from these actions, you know like women nearly being treated equally in a few countries and so on ...

I'm sorry, people who don't agree with a gay lifestyle do not look upon gay people as subhumans. Racists looked upon people of color as subhuman, and some men looked upon women as lesser. I really don't know any decent human who is against gay marriage or things of that nature who considers those same people to be inferior.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Really?

I'm not so sure women should vote. .

I know this is sarcastic, but anyone interested should go back and read the opinions of those against it back in the day. Including a lot of women! Heck, the New York Times editorial board was against it.

• Reply 235 of 650
    boltsfan17 wrote: »
    I do know a lot about history, so I wouldn't go there. The issue I have, like I said earlier, is people making a big deal about being gay. It's 2014. Most people, including myself, don't care. Are we going to have breaking news every time someone comes out? Breaking news: the first gay airline pilot, breaking news: the first gay astronaut, etc. That's why it's annoying to me. 

The promotion of collectivist thinking is very annoying to me, and also flies in the face of our country's history of individualism. Everyone is different to one degree or another. So what?
  • Reply 236 of 650
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

I understand completely why Cook wrote this article, and it's great, but are there really still people who ignored this?

I thought we had the same discussion like a few months ago, and that was ancient history then already.

• Reply 237 of 650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

I'm sorry this is annoying to you.

Do you not understand the LEAST you have to do? Keep going on with your life. 

And it must be great to have that privilege. 

• Reply 238 of 650
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

I'm sorry, people who don't agree with a gay lifestyle do not look upon gay people as subhumans. Racists looked upon people of color as subhuman, and some men looked upon women as lesser. I really don't know any decent human who is against gay marriage or things of that nature who considers those same people to be inferior.

Hey, do you know what makes people feel subhuman? 

Being called a faggot in the streets for simply existing. Being denied fundamental human rights. Being ruthlessly assaulted, killed, "made an example of" for not trending in the norm. 

That fact that I can't be allowed to feel less than human when others downright attack a way of life I did not choose undermines any sort of point you were trying to make. 

• Reply 239 of 650
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Nobodyy View Post

I'm sorry this is annoying to you.

Do you not understand the LEAST you have to do? Keep going on with your life. 

And it must be great to have that privilege. 

I was writing my reply, but saw you changed what you wrote. I won't reply to what you deleted. 

I will continue to keep going on with my life. Everyone, include gays, has that privilege. 

• Reply 240 of 650
    charlituna wrote: »
    so being openly gay is required to be a role model?

he couldnt be a role model as a gay supporting non gay. or just as a decent non gay human being.

It's not required but it helps when there are so few role models who aren't just .. ordinary.