'I'm proud to be gay,' Apple CEO Tim Cook says in open letter supporting equality

Comments

• Reply 241 of 650
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Nobodyy View Post

Hey, do you know what makes people feel subhuman? 

Being called a faggot in the streets for simply existing. Being denied fundamental human rights. Being ruthlessly assaulted, killed, "made an example of" for not trending in the norm. 

That fact that I can't be allowed to feel less than human when others downright attack a way of life I did not choose undermines any sort of point you were trying to make. 

What "fundamental human rights" are being denied to gay people? 

• Reply 242 of 650
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

I was writing my reply, but saw you changed what you wrote. I won't reply to what you deleted. 

I will continue to keep going on with my life. Everyone, include gays, has that privilege. 

No. I unfortunately do not in 2014, still. Which is unfortunate, and even more unfortunate that the words coming out of the mouths of those who are most affected mean nothing to you.

And I apologize, I changed my post because I don't want to come across as attacking.

• Reply 243 of 650
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    boltsfan17 wrote: »
    I do know a lot about history, so I wouldn't go there. The issue I have, like I said earlier, is people making a big deal about being gay. It's 2014. Most people, including myself, don't care. Are we going to have breaking news every time someone comes out? Breaking news: the first gay airline pilot, breaking news: the first gay astronaut, etc. That's why it's annoying to me. 

It's good you don't care and I am sure you are a meaning nothing untoward by your comment here. The thing is it's quite surprising to find in 2014 just what a problem it is for so many and it's easy to say this is '2014 Most people don't care'. I wish this were true but sadly its not. I agree it should not be a news worthy item that a minority gets a position of power and so on. The fact it is 'news' should tell you something. It's not the person usually writing the story it's the new media who still think a woman CEO or a gay CEO is news worthy and why? Because still in 2014 there are far too many that don't think they should be, that's why.

So here's to a time when none of this is news for the reason it's all just normal. Just like 'white caucasian boy from working class home makes it to University' isn't news anymore. It would have been once!
  • Reply 244 of 650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

What "fundamental human rights" are being denied to gay people? 

There are a lot, two being: Marriage and Job Equality. 

However, if you look into what the United States considered fundamental human rights (written into law, not debatable, and therefore your quotes are not needed), you'd see there are many more that are violated. 

• Reply 245 of 650

I just knew that this thread would be entertaining.

300 post count... here we come.

• Reply 246 of 650
    boltsfan17 wrote: »
    I do know a lot about history, so I wouldn't go there. The issue I have, like I said earlier, is people making a big deal about being gay. It's 2014. Most people, including myself, don't care. Are we going to have breaking news every time someone comes out? Breaking news: the first gay airline pilot, breaking news: the first gay astronaut, etc. That's why it's annoying to me. 

It's good you don't care and I am sure you are a meaning nothing untoward by your comment here. The thing is it's quite surprising to find in 2014 just what a problem it is for so many and it's easy to say this is '2014 Most people don't care'. I wish this were true but sadly its not. I agree it should not be a news worthy item that a minority gets a position of power and so on. The fact it is 'news' should tell you something. It's not the person usually writing the story it's the new media who still think a woman CEO or a gay CEO is news worthy and why? Because still in 2014 there are far too many that don't think they should be, that's why.

So here's to a time when none of this is news for the reason it all just normal. Just like 'white caucasian boy from working class home make it to University' isn't news anymore. It would have been once!

And yet, working class boy making it good is more newsworthy in England now than it was decades ago, due to the abolition of grammar schools and the introduction of comprehensives, which, in an Orwellian twist, do the very opposite of providing a comprehensive education.
  • Reply 247 of 650
    nobodyy wrote: »

There are a lot - the main being: Marriage and Job Equality. 

However, if you look into what the United States considered fundamental human rights (written into law, not debatable, and therefore your quotes are not needed), you'd see there are many more that are violated. 

Exactly, and how about not being admitted into visit their partner in intensive care after an accident because they are 'not family'?
  • Reply 248 of 650
    And yet, working class boy making it good is more newsworthy in England now than it was decades ago, due to the abolition of grammar schools and the introduction of comprehensives, which, in an Orwellian twist, do the very opposite of providing a comprehensive education.

OK maybe that was a bad analogy ... but you know what I meant. Let's save that for another discussion another day :) Being from the UK educational system during those 'decades ago' I am not qualified to pass an opinion on the current state of affairs there now to be honest.

Let's not derail this thread now though.
  • Reply 249 of 650

Right on Tim Cook!

• Reply 250 of 650

Wow, really great that someone in such a position had the courage to come out. The fact that he's gay doesn't change any of my opinions of him or Apple, but it was good of him to do this

• Reply 251 of 650
    shsfshsf Posts: 302member

All the best to Tim Cook, if anyone's noticed he also proclaimed his faith in God, which is the real radical thing these days, and something once you are out on, you are expected to get attacked by a cacophony of atheists who think they are the end all and be all of rationality.

In other news, MS has made a band! Rock on!

• Reply 252 of 650

So many people here seem to be losing sight of the fact that:

We knew he was gay, but this is not to imply that anybody else knew!

It is not about Tim Cook, it is about people who are afraid to speak up about their sexuality; it gives them someone to look up to, even someone to make them proud of their sexuality.  (User Dick Applebaum expressed this already, from the article).

• Reply 253 of 650
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I can't wait until we can get back to talking about Apple and get off the Tim Cook show. All CNBC has talked about today is Tim Cook being gay. How about reporting some real news...like Samsung's crappy quarter. They must be loving Tim Cook right now because the buzz is all around his coming out and no one is talking about their profits tanking.
  • Reply 254 of 650
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member

Surprised by some replies in this thread. If Tim felt compelled to make this declaration, good for him. The fact that some are troubled or confused by it is likely why he made the declaration.  

• Reply 255 of 650
    shsf wrote: »
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">All the best to Tim Cook, if anyone's noticed he also proclaimed his faith in God, which is the real radical thing these days, and something once you are out on, you are expected to get attacked by a cacophony of atheists who think they are the end all and be all of rationality.</span>

In other news, MS has made a band! Rock on!

Not this atheist. Tim, as are all people, welcome to their own beliefs IMHO, sadly it seems we atheists are not seen as normal or granted the same respect by many on the side that do believe in gods. I have lost count of the 'how do you know right from wrong?' type questions .... pretty funny really. :D
  • Reply 256 of 650
    So many people here seem to be losing sight of the fact that:

We knew he was gay, but this is not to imply that anybody else knew!

It is not about Tim Cook, it is about people who are afraid to speak up about their sexuality; it gives them someone to look up to, even someone to make them proud of their sexuality.  (User Dick Applebaum expressed this already, from the article).

Well said.
  • Reply 257 of 650
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Next week in Korea Times, "I'm gay too" - Samsung

Best comment I've ever read on here!!

• Reply 258 of 650
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

LOL, but I actually think it will read. "we were gay first" - Samsung

• Reply 259 of 650
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    We now a confirmation that Tim Cook is gay, even though many feel they knew it already even though it was just speculation.

I've need seen 50+ Thumbs Up on AI's forums. Well done.
  • Reply 260 of 650
    Quote:

Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

Actually Steve was a social liberal but pro-business and supported Obama with reservations.  Why should Cook have to hide in the closet or make his sexual orientation a secret to avoid offending religious homophobes and bigots?

But by your remarks, wouldn't one who is a religious, pro-life, conservative member of the NRA, be just as offended that there are bigoted people like YOU who are intolerant of their morality and beliefs?  Tim is 'congratulated' for coming out of the closet.  Meanwhile, you wish to 'shame' others to hide into that closet for beliefs you oppose.  Ironic, huh?

If Tim Cook had Apple parade in support of the NRA or a Pro-Life march, would the posts here still be showing Tim the love?!?  Just wondering...