'I'm proud to be gay,' Apple CEO Tim Cook says in open letter supporting equality

1111214161733

Comments

  • Reply 261 of 650
    ibeamibeam Posts: 322member

    I love threads like this. It really brings out people's true colors.

  • Reply 262 of 650
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

     

    Two words. Brendan Eich.


    What a cynical and evil comparison.

     

    Brandan Eich didn't face consequences for being straight. He faced consequences because gay and straight employees refused to work for him for being an anti-gay bigot who actively worked against equal rights.

     

    You are either willfully ignorant of the real reason why Brandan Eich was under fire or you are dim.

  • Reply 263 of 650
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member

    If Tim is occupied with other stuff besides directing Apple, then as a shareholder I have a right to be concerned.

    I couldn't read the whole thread, but I see no one has convinced you of the most obvious point:

    That is, Apple's core business is making products that improve people's lives. In order to do that, they have to embrace—not just tolerate—as many kinds of people in the world that they can. There is zero room in this equation for any favoritism or exclusion whatever. The big sword of gender prejudice has been hanging over everybody's head at Apple as well as any other company in the Consciousness Business at this point in history. Tim says as much in his letter.

    Apple is not making refrigerators. They're making mind amplifiers. There is no room for the prejudices of the past in their mission. Silence is complicity. We live in the age of knowledge, and sometimes it seems like too much knowledge to those holding back a bit. But Apple has never held back on its mind amplification stance. It's what made them the company they are, and the way they can ensure they will be in the future. This is a new era when nothing cultural can be hidden.

    The coming out part will be over soon.
  • Reply 264 of 650
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,438member

    "If Tim Cook had Apple parade in support of the NRA or a Pro-Life march, would the posts here still be showing Tim the love?!?  Just wondering..."

     

    The difference is that pro-lifers seek laws to oppress womens' reproductive choices and NRA doesn't give a rat about gun safety and sensible control of guns. 

     

    Being gay can get you fired in several states. Legally. 

  • Reply 265 of 650
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

    I'm gay, and I find it very funny when I read straight people say that being gay is widely accepted, that everything is fine and that we shouldn't even be talking about it. At the end of the day, those people are straight, they are ignorant and should get informed. Even coming out with family and friends can be very difficult and impact people psychologically.

  • Reply 266 of 650
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,758member
    flaneur wrote: »
    I couldn't read the whole thread, but I see no one has convinced you of the most obvious point:

    That is, Apple's core business is making products that improve people's lives. In order to do that, they have to embrace—not just tolerate—as many kinds of people in the world that they can. There is zero room in this equation for any favoritism or exclusion whatever. The big sword of gender prejudice has been hanging over everybody's head at Apple as well as any other company in the Consciousness Business at this point in history. Tim says as much in his letter.

    Apple is not making refrigerators. They're making mind amplifiers. There is no room for the prejudices of the past in their mission. Silence is complicity. We live in the age of knowledge, and sometimes it seems like too much knowledge to those holding back a bit. But Apple has never held back on its mind amplification stance. It's what made them the company they are, and the way they can ensure they will be in the future. This is a new era when nothing cultural can be hidden.

    The coming out part will be over soon.

    What a great way of looking at it.
  • Reply 267 of 650
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Its funny, this is practically all CNBC has talked avout today. Yet in one of my conservative Twitter feeds I didn't see one tweet about it. Nobody there gives a shit. It's a non story.
  • Reply 268 of 650
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    netrox wrote: »
    "If Tim Cook had Apple parade in support of the NRA or a Pro-Life march, would the posts here still be showing Tim the love?!?  Just wondering..."

    The difference is that pro-lifers seek laws to oppress womens' reproductive choices and NRA doesn't give a rat about gun safety and sensible control of guns. 

    Being gay can get you fired in several states. Legally. 

    Pro lifers (of which I am one) are against murder. Women have the choice not to get pregnant. VERY FEW abortions are the result of rape or incenset.
  • Reply 269 of 650
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post





    Plus, this won't help in Apple's attempts to sell in the Middle East or to those whose religious views will now dictate they not buy Apple products.



    Exactly. And how do the Chinese feel about homosexuality?   Tim has an obligation to maximize shareholder value. Tim's obligation at this time is to sell the most products at the highest price, not to make a social impact.  In the U.S. Proposition 8 (banning gay marriage) passed in California with a majority of votes, while Michael Sam made a spectacle of himself and is not on any NFL team, not even on a practice squad. Many people, maybe even most people, are not supportive of homosexuality.  It is easy for people to express their sentiment by not buying Apple products, and nobody can call them out on it. As an Apple shareholder, I have no problem with his orientation, but I am not happy with what he did. Everyone not living under a rock already knew he is gay. This was something he should have done when nearing retirement. 

  • Reply 270 of 650
    Just like it says in the Bible, the Quran, and other sacred texts.. hang all gays. They are no more and no less evil than pedophiles.

    Our corrupt world is run by psychopathic, gay and pedophile men and until you people realize that you will lose your freedom, your god given rights and your ability to live a normal life on this planet.
    -Amen
  • Reply 271 of 650
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    It's good you don't care and I am sure you are a meaning nothing untoward by your comment here. The thing is it's quite surprising to find in 2014 just what a problem it is for so many and it's easy to say this is '2014 Most people don't care'. I wish this were true but sadly its not. I agree it should not be a news worthy item that a minority gets a position of power and so on. The fact it is 'news' should tell you something. It's not the person usually writing the story it's the new media who still think a woman CEO or a gay CEO is news worthy and why? Because still in 2014 there are far too many that don't think they should be, that's why.

    So here's to a time when none of this is news for the reason it's all just normal. Just like 'white caucasian boy from working class home makes it to University' isn't news anymore. It would have been once!

    Well said!
  • Reply 272 of 650
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Pro lifers (of which I am one) are against murder. Women have the choice not to get pregnant. VERY FEW abortions are the result of rape or incenset.

    People who believe in Pro Choice are against murder, too.
  • Reply 273 of 650
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    lav1daloca wrote: »
    Just like it says in the Bible, the Quran, and other sacred texts.. hang all gays. They are no more and no less evil than pedophiles.

    Our corrupt world is run by psychopathic, gay and pedophile men and until you people realize that you will lose your freedom, your god given rights and your ability to live a normal life on this planet.
    -Amen

    And here we have Exhibit A for the Tim Cook case. Cross burning at da loca's at 11. Be there or be queer.
  • Reply 274 of 650
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Nobodyy View Post

     



    No. I unfortunately do not in 2014, still. Which is unfortunate, and even more unfortunate that the words coming out of the mouths of those who are most affected mean nothing to you.

     

    And I apologize, I changed my post because I don't want to come across as attacking.


    If that is the case, it is unfortunate. I don't understand how you can't go on with your life. My whole point I'm just trying to make is it shouldn't be a big deal anymore with someone coming out. Ten years ago or so, yes, I can see that being a big deal. But who knows, maybe I'm wrong. 

  • Reply 275 of 650
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    People who believe in Pro Choice are against murder, too.

    The thread unravels, but good point. People who are pro choice are also pro life and pro women.
  • Reply 276 of 650
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    sog35 wrote: »
    I respect atheist and all faiths.

    But do you celebrate Christmas? Thanksgiving? Halloween? Easter?  Just curious.

    Oh stop, they're all pagan, except for fool-the-natives day.
  • Reply 277 of 650
    sog35 wrote: »
    Not this atheist. Tim, as are all people, welcome to their own beliefs IMHO, sadly it seems we atheists are not seen as normal or granted the same respect by many on the side that do believe in gods. I have lost count of the 'how do you know right from wrong?' type questions .... pretty funny really. :D

    I respect atheist and all faiths.

    But do you celebrate Christmas? Thanksgiving? Halloween? Easter?  Just curious.

    Do you respect Satanism?
  • Reply 278 of 650
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,758member
    sog35 wrote: »
    I respect atheist and all faiths.

    But do you celebrate Christmas? Thanksgiving? Halloween? Easter?  Just curious.

    Of course do. I love traditions of all sorts. I embraced the US ones when I emigrated and sadly lost some good British ones in the process. It is often these traditions that act as bonds and memories throughout life. Plus I was always in a family that didn't agree with me but we all agreed to differ. I don't attend religious ceremonies as such but I have on occasions to please others. I always say I don't believe in Santa either but I'd be the last one to spoil a kids fun who still did by telling them.

    edit: typo
  • Reply 279 of 650
    solipsismx wrote: »
    rogifan wrote: »
    Pro lifers (of which I am one) are against murder. Women have the choice not to get pregnant. VERY FEW abortions are the result of rape or incenset.

    People who believe in Pro Choice are against murder, too.

    That would be impossible.
  • Reply 280 of 650
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Do you respect Satanism?

    I respect the choice for someone to choose their religion, but all others religions look stupid to those that practice something else.
Sign In or Register to comment.