Dual GHz Benchmark Shootout

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
You want to see the performance of the new dual GHz g4? All you have to do is direct to any tests that I can run on this machine. I will gladly test anything, however please remember I'm on a 56k dial up connection. this means some results may not come instantly, but this weekend I am going to be getting programs and such so I will also get things to benchmark. This includes games to test out that GF4 MX card.just give me the links on where to get the tests and I will be sure to give a ful lseries of results. Coming later will be tests with the Radeon 8500 and GF4 Ti (probably the 4400). So stay tuned!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    xmogerxmoger Posts: 242member
  • Reply 2 of 22
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    I want to test some After Effects stuff...but all my projects are at least over 400MB
  • Reply 3 of 22
    Ok here is Cinebench result:

Machine: PowerMac

Processor: 2x1000 MHz G4

RAM: 512 MB

Video card: nVidia GeForce4 MX w/64 MB DDR

Shading (CINEMA 4D): 7.00 CB

Shading (OpenGL): 6.76 CB GL-Factor:0.97x

Raytracing (Single CPU): 10.35 CB

Raytracing (Multiple CPU): 20.40 CB MP-Factor: 1.97x

Umm is it me or do these results suck?
  • Reply 5 of 22
    [quote]Originally posted by TigerWoods99:

<strong>Ok here is Cinebench result:

RAM: 512 MB

Shading (CINEMA 4D): 7.00 CB

Shading (OpenGL): 6.76 CB GL-Factor:0.97x

Raytracing (Single CPU): 10.35 CB

Raytracing (Multiple CPU): 20.40 CB MP-Factor: 1.97x

Umm is it me or do these results suck?</strong><hr></blockquote>

No, it's Cinebench that sucks. CineBench is circa mid-1999, the time of the Blue and White G3, aging 9600 dual 604e's, OS 8.6 and RAGE 128s.

As far as CineBench is concerned, there is no such thing as OS X or the G4 and all the benefits they carry. You must remember, OS 9 also lacks optimization for modern PPC745x systems as benchmarks hae shown. This and a probably large amount of legacy code hamper Cinebanch on modern hardware and deem it as an Useless Penis Benchmark?.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by Nostradamus:

<strong>

No, it's Cinebench that sucks. CineBench is circa mid-1999, the time of the Blue and White G3, aging 9600 dual 604e's, OS 8.6 and RAGE 128s.

As far as CineBench is concerned, there is no such thing as OS X or the G4 and all the benefits they carry. You must remember, OS 9 also lacks optimization for modern PPC745x systems as benchmarks hae shown. This and a probably large amount of legacy code hamper Cinebanch on modern hardware and deem it as an Useless Penis Benchmark?.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I thought Cinebench has a bit of altivec code.

And that still is not a good reason why the mac performs so much worse than the PC.

Also, what does OS 9's optimizations for the 745x have to do with anything? Isn't it whether the benchmark itself is optimized or not what matters? Unoptimized RC5 gets 3.5 m/keys sec on my Powerbook G4/667. Optimized version gets over 6m/keys sec. Nothing changed with the OS there
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Also the Cinebench OpenGL result is so tight to the CPU NOT the video card

Even you have a real crappy video card as long as you have a 1.5Ghz+ cpu the OpenGL score usually is over 15 CB......
  • Reply 8 of 22
    Ah well 4x4 Evo 2 is running silky smooth on this machine.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    If thats your Cinebench, TW, Id think my machine was not set up properly. I've seen CB for your Dual 1GHZ Macs that are a bit better. You arn't running other apps at the same time are you?
  • Reply 10 of 22
    I have seen other Dual Ghz G4s have 22.5 CB on raytracing
  • Reply 11 of 22
    And the OGL score seems way off. I'll check xlr8yourmac.com, Im sure you should be getting about 10-11 for this test
  • Reply 12 of 22
    over at xlr8

cbench 8.7, 10.6, 12.4, 21.8

thats Cinemashading/OGL/Single Raytrace/DP Raytrace.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Here are my results with 4 other apps open but not doing anything-

RAM: 1gig MB

Shading (CINEMA 4D): 6.99 CB

Shading (OpenGL): 6.82 CB GL-Factor:0.98x

Raytracing (Single CPU): 11.9 CB

Raytracing (Multiple CPU): 19.33 CB MP-Factor: 1.62x

with everything closed-

Shading (CINEMA 4D): 7.05 CB

Shading (OpenGL): 6.85 CB GL-Factor:0.97x

Raytracing (Single CPU): 11.93 CB

Raytracing (Multiple CPU): 19.92 CB MP-Factor: 1.67x

[actually, I had open classic, ASM, FruitMenu, TinkerTool- do those make a difference?]

[ 02-23-2002: Message edited by: KidRed ]</p>
  • Reply 14 of 22
    If you're going to run a benchmark, YOU have to run it with no other apps AT ALL launched. Right after boot-up, if the results are to be meaningful. It might not make much of a difference, but it might make a hell of a difference, you just don't know.

Open apps still *do things*/take up resources, even if you're not using them. Would you do a 0-60 test in your car with the handbrake half on?

BTW, if you're getting a lower score in Cinebench for OpenGL rendering, than Cinema rendeering, There IS something wrong with your machine/drivers. (Unless you're playing q3 Arena in the background-'but it is minimized! '

And don't run it in classic, boot up in OS9.

[ 02-23-2002: Message edited by: MarcUK ]</p>
  • Reply 15 of 22
    I probably was running quite a few apps at the same time, although KidRed's results are even lower than mine. Hmm, I will boot up and test it without anything else running.

Also, does anyone know how to get a FPS test in 4x4 Evo 2 (only game I have right now, unless you are interested in old skool Links and Sim City ).

My Altivec Fractal Carbon Test was like 7700 something Gflops.

iTunes convert to MP3 is getting 19.7x @192 Kbps.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Great, you're saying something is wrong with my machine......not another ****ing beige repeat or I think I'll go ballistic....
  • Reply 17 of 22
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I can get 24x, or the max CD read speed of the DVD-RW drive with iTunes on outer tracks. Of course I never use iTunes's built in encoder...
  • Reply 18 of 22
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    double

[ 02-23-2002: Message edited by: Eugene ]</p>
  • Reply 19 of 22
    [quote]Originally posted by TigerWoods99:

<strong>Great, you're saying something is wrong with my machine......not another ****ing beige repeat or I think I'll go ballistic....</strong><hr></blockquote>

That isn't necessary the problem of your machine.

Cinebench result does vary all the time. Even on my Dual 500. All scores are always different. I can get 12.3 CB on Raytracing but if I run the test again I only get 11 CB.....

Also. Under OS 9, ALL openGL extensions have to be ON in order to get the 'accurate' mark....again it varies all the time
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Leonis, there must be something wrong with your machine too!. Every time I've run CB, I get exactly the same result (only the last decimal place changes). Now, you arn't running other apps at the same time?

BTW TWoods. If you run CB through classic, you will get lower scores like the ones you posted. So I'd not worry too much, but try booting into 9 and then test.