'I'm proud to be gay,' Apple CEO Tim Cook says in open letter supporting equality

Comments

• Reply 321 of 650
    ibeamibeam Posts: 322member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Anyway I beleive in God but I don't celebrate Christmas because its 99% pagan

What is the other 1%?

• Reply 322 of 650
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

For me it's all about the distraction. Tim needs more laser focus on products and less on social/political issues. Everyone knew he was gay and no one cared so why create the distraction, especially if you value your privacy?

living in a closet isnt a very liberating way to exist. straights dont, why should gays?

• Reply 323 of 650
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    sog35 wrote: »

What religious holiday celebrates jumping to conclusions based on a gut feeling?
  • Reply 324 of 650
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Ha! Yours, is the best post I read upon awaking from my morning nap :D

BTW, thanks for the earlier post info on Alan Turing -- I did not know that ...

A brilliant person destroyed in his prime because he did not meet scciety's accepted norms.

Yeah but that pill joke ain't all that funny the more I think about it ..:\

Yes the Turing thing is a still ongoing story, only recently there has been more ... I forget now but some sort of official apology or something ... I'l have to check.
  • Reply 325 of 650
    ibeam wrote: »
    What is the other 1%?

It has to be Irish ... all that drinking ... ;)
  • Reply 326 of 650
    interesting thoughts on your near death experience, very much appreciate that.

That last bit is just weird. Have you any idea just how much Christianity is borrowed? Far be it from me to encourage religion you but if you are going to join something go all the way .. :)

Since you asked me personal questions, I hope you don't mind if I reciprocate ... Am I talking to a Jehovah Witness by any chance?
  • Reply 327 of 650
    Greek

It's all Greek to me ... :D
  • Reply 328 of 650

So now that Tim is officially gay, are they going to bring back the rainbow logo?

• Reply 329 of 650
    Have you ever seen a fetus at 20 weeks?  Its anything but a clump of unidentified cells.

But your argument isn't against > 19 week abortions, but all abortions regardless of duration because "they can developer into a brain and heart and lungs."
    Sorry a sperm cell or egg cell on its own will never develop a brain, hearts, and lungs.

And neither will a fetus without the parasite feeding on its host.
    You don't think there are more pregnancy's because the option of abortion is there? 
    If there was no option I think more kids would think twice.

So here' the crux of the issue. You would rather there be an excessive amount of unwanted children and/or children that can't be supported by their parental figures, regardless of the circumstances in which the mother became pregnant, under the foolish guise that people will be more responsible about their innate biological urges toward coitus. Good one¡
  • Reply 330 of 650
    Or it could be a DESIRE not to have any obligations and live your life the way you please.

Are you saying you don't have free will?

(You really do suck at this.)
  • Reply 331 of 650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

(You really do suck at this.)

Even a deaf man can see it.

• Reply 332 of 650
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Who cares. Everyone knew he was gay and nobody cared. Tim's sexuality has nothing to do with being CEO of Apple. Coming out is just more of a distraction than anything else.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Yep. He's becoming a bit of a distraction lately, Steve was bigger than Apple because of all the tech stuff he'd done. If he spoke out, it was on a technical issue like Flash or DRM. Tim seems to see Apple as some sort of political engine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

I fully agree and am a bit confused by this as well. He talks too much political issues, but rarely (except keynotes, of course) technical issues. Although I agree with Tim's political views – that's not why I want to listen to him.

Wish people would STOP comparing Cook to Jobs, they are two different people with different lives, ideologies, morals, and more. As long as he keeps Apple moving forward, successful, making great improvements on existing technology, and innovate a new product every 2-4 years I'm happy. Guess it's as the saying goes, "You don't want to follow the man, you want to follow the man that follows the man," or something like that :\. Let the man run Apple how he wants, live how he wants and say what he wants. You don't have to like it, but he's not asking anyone to like it, it's his life and way of living it.

• Reply 333 of 650
    borrowed?  Do you mean the customs or what is written in the Bible?

I have no relgious affilation.  I beleive in God and the Bible.

Which version of the bible and which testaments? The old and new contradict each other all over the place, naturally enough if you think about it. What about all the writings not included by Constantine's crew written in the several hundred years before it was put together?

Are you sure you are not a JW in the closet? You can come out it's ok. ;)
  • Reply 334 of 650
    No.  I'm saying many Atheist are Atheist because they want to do what ever they please.  Which is fine by me.  But every action has a consequence.

You need to get rid of the notion that atheists are a group you can discuss as if they were. Many different types of views, beliefs opinions make up a person, if one of them happens to no not believing in mythology it doesn't mean others with that same view have anything else in common. Nothing! Put simply atheists are not a group or sect or cult or religion any more than people that don't play tennis are part of any group, sect or religion or whatever.
  • Reply 335 of 650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

borrowed?  Do you mean the customs or what is written in the Bible?

I have no relgious affilation.  I beleive in God and the Bible.

Most of the bible copied earlier myths of the Greeks, Egyptians and many other earlier civilizations.  And the customs are seriously outdated, do you still trade livestock for a wife?

• Reply 336 of 650
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member

I am not going to weed through 9 pages, likely to be closer to 10, just to find some anti-homosexuals to quote them on. I am sure they are within those pages but alas.

Why did Tim cook have to come out? As he mentioned, he likes his privacy. He could have kept this out of the public but the fact that people all over the world, get beaten, sometimes to death, just for their sexual orientation is beyond "humane" and is just out right unfathomable behavior. Who we choose to love, is between two people and their utmost desires. The fact that two people share love, trust, commitment, passion - seems to be more said about straight marriages who end up in divorce or where we hear about a spouse committing domestic abuse. You rarely hear about these things in the news with the gay community. 

If you don't like that Tim Cook is gay, deal with it. He's doing a damn fine job as CEO and will continue to give it his all. I support him, and all of my straight and gay friends in their choices.

Oh, and I am straight myself, I just choose to love people unconditionally regardless of their sexual orientation, race or religion. 

• Reply 337 of 650

Most of the bible copied earlier myths of the Greeks, Egyptians and many other earlier civilizations.  And the customs are seriously outdated, do you still trade livestock for a wife?

My second wife ... I'd have been all in ... in reverse that is... :) But the one now is a keeper.
  • Reply 338 of 650
    dsddsd Posts: 186member

Alan Turing granted royal pardon for gay sex conviction

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/alan-turing-granted-royal-pardon-for-gay-sex-conviction-1.2474916

• Reply 339 of 650
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    .....do you still trade livestock for a wife?

How I wish that I could. :lol: jk of course
  • Reply 340 of 650
    once conception happens its life IMO.

Oh, we're all well aware of your ridiculous definiotn, but as previously noted a tumor is a living thing. Neither are intelligent life and neither will remain to consist of living cells if removed.

Now, do you think a fetus should be brought to term if it's very existence in the womb will ultimately cause the death of the mother?
    Having the option of abortion makes people more reckless.

No it doesn't. That's like saying having car insurance makes people more likely to get into automobile accidents.
    They say they can always abort the baby so no big deal.

No one says that.
    Teach people to be responsible...

That's my stance, but you don't want people to be responsible, you want to dictate what others do with their bodies.
    ...and we won't have unwanted children. 

That's naive<sup>?</sup>
    But if you give them an easy out (abortion) it aint ever happenning.

Again, not an easy out.

No.  I'm saying many Atheist are Atheist because they want to do what ever they please.  Which is fine by me.  But every action has a consequence.

Again, if you believe in free will then everyone believes what they want to believe, what you're really saying is that your religion offers a code of conduct, but you probably don't want to say because you don't want the replay to be an accusation that you don't believe that those that don't have religion prescribe to any ethical code. Of course, you don't believe that is the case; what you are afraid to say is that those that aren't religious aren't afraid of being judged in an afterlife (or being judged for things they no no human will ever know about), which really comes done to you choosing to believing in your God out of fear, nothing more, nothing less.