MAJOR happenings in Apple Retail

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am surprised no one has posted this yet. According to an article on businessweek

<a href="http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/feb2002/nf20020220_9570.htm"; target="_blank">http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/feb2002/nf20020220_9570.htm</a>;

Apple plans to have opened 124 Apple stores by the end of 2003. Apparently the stores have a lot of visitors but not strong sales yet. Of course, the new iMac will change that.

On top of that, on MacNN, there is a link to search Monster.com because Apple has posted a huge number of job opportunities for sales reps in different cities, including major cities in Alaska, Nebraska, Kentucky, Oklahoma and all the bigger states. Your city may be there! There is no guarantee that this sales position is for Apple Store employees but I can't imagine what else it could be for. There are a few that specifically mention working in CompUSA so the rest aren't for that.

124 Apple Stores all over the country would be awesome. I think Apple has some earthshattering plans. Maybe even a switch to x86. And there are also job listings like "Marketing Consultant - UNIX solutions". I wonder what Microsoft will think of all of this.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    x86 is not going to happen.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    No offense to denizens of the Last Frontier, but

[quote]

<strong>major cities in Alaska</strong><hr></blockquote>

really gave me pause for thought

:cool:
  • Reply 3 of 18
    I found a bunch of links there at monster.com and on one page there was a sublink to show only apple computer jobs, so in case anyone wants it,

<a href="http://jobsearch.monster.com/jobsearch.asp?co=xacompx&amp;ah=http://company%2 Emonster%2Ecom%2Facomp&aj=Apple+Computer+Inc%2E" target="_blank">http://jobsearch.monster.com/jobsearch.asp?co=xacompx&amp;ah=http://company%2 Emonster%2Ecom%2Facomp&aj=Apple+Computer+Inc%2E</a>

Yhooo - St. Louis is on that list. I'm gonna have to apply!

Ariel
  • Reply 4 of 18
    Oh please, oh please, open a store in Princeton.... right on Nassau St.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    I know EVERYONE bitches about not having one in their home city, but only Houston and Austin have been singled out for avoidance by his Steveness. Now Houston I understand, I grew up there and it is a mosquito-ridden swamp-hole filled with brain-dead corporate zombies. But Austin? (my hometown now) Austin has a huge Mac community, UTexas has one of the largest installed Mac networks, and Apple has offices here. Why the hostility?

I talked to a woman who works at Apple here, and the rumor is that Steve hates Austin due some "bad experience". Maybe that was a meeting at Motorola, but why should we pay the price? Anyway, add Austin to the list of whiny, "Why not an Apple store in ____?".
  • Reply 6 of 18
    Well of course the apple stores have alot of people going there...they are all mac deadheads

some of the guys here must go there every two weeks

well not really, but might as well. I'm sure the new iMac will sell multiple millions by the time it reaches its predessecors age. Also I'll bet that PC users are going to start taking apple alot more seriously once the g5 is released....though....that looks bleak.

[ 02-21-2002: Message edited by: Wrong Robot ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 18
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I think Stevie is avoiding that area because he's scared of Dell.

Come to Austin, j00 punk ass, so I can shoplift an iPod!
  • Reply 8 of 18
    falconfalcon Posts: 458member
    Apple: You must invade the belly of the beast, and put a store is Seattle! PLEASE.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    BuonRotto:

That wouldn't be bad having one right there on Nassau St. right in the square behind the Kiosk.

Did you know that the Triumph Brewery runs on Macs?
  • Reply 10 of 18
    [quote]Originally posted by blue2kdave:

<strong>I know EVERYONE bitches about not having one in their home city, but only Houston and Austin have been singled out for avoidance by his Steveness. Now Houston I understand, I grew up there and it is a mosquito-ridden swamp-hole filled with brain-dead corporate zombies. But Austin? (my hometown now) Austin has a huge Mac community, UTexas has one of the largest installed Mac networks, and Apple has offices here. Why the hostility?

I talked to a woman who works at Apple here, and the rumor is that Steve hates Austin due some "bad experience". Maybe that was a meeting at Motorola, but why should we pay the price? Anyway, add Austin to the list of whiny, "Why not an Apple store in ____?".</strong><hr></blockquote>

damnit, this pisses me off. now im stuck w/ freakin compusa w/ no hope of any alternative..............

in that list of jobs ariel posted there were a number fer austin, so he might put one in austin. but damn, houston is what, the 4th biggest city in the country...and nothing planned...

hell, i think even dallas is getting 2...

i dont know why he hates texas so much, but its a huge market. alot of people are very conservative and dont like change, but ive run into alot of people who get pissed off at windows and want an alternative. like my roomate--his win98 machine freezes like 15-30 times a day. he wants a mac, but cant afford it...

i dunno, i just think apple should give texas a chance.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Any plans of an Apple Store in C-Town?

About macs making a move to x86, under the Apple System profiler on my new DP 1 GHz (yeah, have to keep saying it ) I found something that said AppleIntel..........wtf could that be?
  • Reply 12 of 18
    I am SURE there will be no move to X86, but, I sure hope a store opens here in St. Louis! The closest one is like 250 miles away....
  • Reply 13 of 18
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    [quote]Originally posted by mjpaci:

<strong>BuonRotto:

That wouldn't be bad having one right there on Nassau St. right in the square behind the Kiosk.

Did you know that the Triumph Brewery runs on Macs?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yep, met the triumph folks (the owner and brewer) through a friend and got a tour of the place a few months ago.

Imagine that Waverly Home gone (with all that nubby furniture) and all that space is one big Apple Store, right on Palmer Square. ooh, aah...

• Reply 14 of 18
    i think all youse texans, and other non-yawkas should put a sock in it. NY is the biggest (best, greatest, [add superlative adjective here]) city in the country (and hemisphere). and no apple store. i try not to complain 'bout it, but yous should b put in ur place. NY = top.

Personally, I haven't heard anything about Apple avoiding any cities, and it seems unreasonable for a company to do so with profits to be made and shareholders to appease. But, it seems that in NYC, where they hold one of their two biggest events every year, there outta b an apple store. (perhaps downtown, in th' east village area.)

thought: Apple releases latest 'n' greatest new comp at MWNY, then invites people to head over to NY Apple Retail store, so they can buy them right away. [not gonna happen i spose, but it'd b great]

also, don't know how many of ya read <a href="http://www.appleturns.com,"; target="_blank">www.appleturns.com,</a> but the bottom article today is about how these recent job postings are NOT for Apple Retail stores. They are for Apple area of CompUSA workers-to-be.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Sorry to disappoint you hopefuls that you were getting a Apple store so soon in one of the cities listed, but these are listings for Solutions Consultants at Comp USA's. If you'll notice all the cities are also locations of Comp USA's
  • Reply 16 of 18
    [quote]Originally posted by thuh Freak:

<strong>NY is the biggest... city in the country (and hemisphere).</strong><hr></blockquote>

I hate to burst your bubble, but the denizens of Sao Paulo might contest that statement
  • Reply 17 of 18
    [quote]Originally posted by agent302:

<strong>

I hate to burst your bubble, but the denizens of Sao Paulo might contest that statement</strong><hr></blockquote>

I hate to burst yours because it is actually Mexico City.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    OT: Depends on how you measure size: population or land area. LA and I think Houston are bigger than NYC in terms of land area for the USA, but methinks Mexico City takes both crowns for the hemisphere.