First look: Eyes-on with the new iMac's super-resolution 5K Retina display

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 91
    "Wheres the screen without the mac for MacPros?!"

Dell already promised one by Xmas a few weeks ago and they said it would be $2499. So either buy that or get this iMac and then use Thunderbolt cable for use on your existing Mac.
  • Reply 82 of 91
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member

We've already established that using the TB cable to an existing Mac does not work.

• Reply 83 of 91
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Since the SSD is just a blade, it should be no harder than swapping out a RAM module. So it would be nice if the door on the back let you upgrade the SSD as well as the RAM.

• Reply 84 of 91
    Quote:

Originally Posted by veggiedude View Post

"Wheres the screen without the mac for MacPros?!"

Here it is. $1399. - great price, 31" and colour-accurate with Thunderbolt support. And it's black.

Unless you really need 5K (and who does ;)) the Pro just got the screen it's been waiting for.

• Reply 85 of 91
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Here it is. $1399. - great price, 31" and colour-accurate with Thunderbolt support. And it's black.

Unless you really need 5K (and who does ;)) the Pro just got the screen it's been waiting for.

Your link is for a 4k monitor - not a 5k one. Is it worth the deal? Maybe.

• Reply 86 of 91
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

You shouldn't use color accurate as a buzzword term, because it's misleading. Your display does not converge to a point of spectral alignment with the initial capture information. Generally if a display oem is going to make claims about accuracy, it will be relative to specific targets and one or more of the known standards for describing deviation. They don't all agree, because reproduction on a hardware device isn't exactly based on set quantities of given wavelength bands. It's actually quite complicated due to the fact that an exact replication of captured light is infeasible, so they have to use various methods of modeling its appearance relative to human vision and cone sensitivities in a way that can be practically encoded. Anyway.... /endrant. I'm in a bad mood because my notebook is dying and Apple no longer makes a 17".

• Reply 87 of 91
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

I've been loving mine, but unfortunately it is plagued by severe issue with Mission Control...Basically its almost unusable...it animates unnaturally slow. We're talking bad. My Mac mini with HD4000 graphics and Yosemite can handle Mission Control

It seems to be an oddity and not related to graphic performance limitations as the graphics are insanely well-performing in other graphics intensive tasks (tasks far more demanding than measly Mission Control).

There are threads about it on Macrumors and Apple Support Communities.

• Reply 88 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmm View Post

I'm in a bad mood because my notebook is dying and Apple no longer makes a 17".

Take heart, with a 12" coming and the move to 5K, the lineup may shift to 12" 14" and 16" options.

• Reply 89 of 91

Take heart, with a 12" coming and the move to 5K, the lineup may shift to 12" 14" and 16" options.

We already have retina laptops. They’re going to stay just as they are. Hopefully the “12” (yes, quotations, because I doubt it) goes back to 16:10, but whatever.

• Reply 90 of 91
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

Well I can't really wait around for that. It would have been nice to make it through to broadwell.