First look: Heart rate tracking $199 Microsoft Band connects to Apple's iOS & OS X, will integrate w

Comments

• Reply 21 of 100
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I'm not feeling this at all, but I am liking the Fitbit Charge HR over ?Watch at this point and time.
  • Reply 22 of 100
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    tjwolf wrote: »
    So either you get a crook in your neck, hold your arm vertically, or learn to read sideways to operate this thing?

Does anyone know whether it can be taken swimming?

I was wondering if anyone would note this huge ergonomic fail. The damn thing is SIDEWAYS, people? That's not how your body is built?
  • Reply 23 of 100
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

Apple is late to the game way too late

Why? Apple's HealthKit approach is what everybody is copying (as far as infrastructure goes), and Cook would not have publicly worn FitBit and Nike stuff, if they were to go for utilitarian devices like this one and many others on the hardware side. The Apple Watch is a completely different type of device, not a late one. Just like the iPod was an affordable luxury version of MP3 players at that time and succeeded despite a much higher price point and being late to the market, the Apple Watch can do the same. 

• Reply 24 of 100

unfortunately NO! the only thing missing for me, but not a deal breaker.

http://www.microsoft.com/microsoft-band/en-us/support/safety-guide

Water resistance for the Microsoft Band

Important

• Microsoft Band is not waterproof. Light rain and hand washing shouldn’t harm it, but do not immerse it in liquids of any kind. This means it should not be worn while swimming or in the shower.

• Microsoft Band is dust- and water-resistant but not waterproof. It isn’t impervious to water damage in environments you may encounter.

• Reply 25 of 100
    I would consider this if it wasn't for the stupid screen orientation
  • Reply 26 of 100
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member

am i missing something? What does Microsoft get out of this? Getting into the hardware business? Their mobile market is so narrow, and the band not compelling enough in any event to draw people into their product niche, so seriously wheres the incentive for them to do it? Is this brand building?

• Reply 27 of 100
    Too ugly for my taste
  • Reply 28 of 100
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    More inexpensive that I would have expected for the features. Actually looks like something health-conscious consumers might buy. Maybe post-Balmer Microsoft is going to be a lot more competitive. Perhaps.

And very supportive of Apple's ecosystem by the looks of it. Well done Microsoft. Did i really just say that? :\
  • Reply 29 of 100
    cfugle wrote: »
    Is it me or is the new Microsoft getting smarter? It appears to be a well laid out device for sports-speific training and logging. Certainly more advanced than Nike or FitBit offerings (for the moment). Cross Platform, IOS friendly.... the winds are a changing.

My thoughts exactly.
  • Reply 30 of 100

Darn, iPhone 6 & 6 Plus aren't supported.

/s

• Reply 31 of 100
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I'm not feeling this at all, but I am liking the Fitbit Charge HR over ?Watch at this point and time.

I just have to have a the ?Watch for ?Pay as I will not be getting an iPhone 6 for quite a while. If ?Watch can use ?Pay without an iPhone what's stopping an iPhone 5s or 5? Sorry you know me and iOS ... :D
  • Reply 32 of 100
    Ever since the first smart watch, I've been thinking about what I'd want..., the size, general shape, features, battery life.... this is closest to it... way to go Microsoft. I'd buy this wrist band any day before purchasing the first gen Apple watch.
  • Reply 33 of 100
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post

I was wondering if anyone would note this huge ergonomic fail. The damn thing is SIDEWAYS, people? That's not how your body is built?

Most of the photos on Microsoft's site show it worn with the screen under your wrist -- when worn that way it's a more natural position/orientation for viewing. You turn your hand over (palm up) to view the screen -- rather than viewing like a traditional watch with your arm bent.

• Reply 34 of 100
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member

You tell me if this is the orientation that a person would look at his watch, then you're stupid. I just don't get what the f in the heads of these design department. One would break his neck before this device can establish his health profile.

• Reply 35 of 100

The more I look at this, the more I like it. Something I didn't see mentioned in the article is that this band includes Cortana voice functionality (but unfortunately only if you have a Windows Phone). If you could use voice with it connected to the iPhone (e.g., to set reminders, do quick replies, etc.) that would be great.

• Reply 36 of 100
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,356member
    It is rather spectacularly ugly. Looks like a strip of black electrical tape wrapped around your wrist. Very much looks like a 1.0 product with too little refinement. Like any Microsoft product it'll start being compelling around the third release if it lasts that long. I'm not being negative on Microsoft, it's just that this whole product category is rife with speculative products that don't really solve major pain points in most people's lives. Nice to haves for a few people with excess discretionary income, sure, but there is is nothing here that I'm thinking "oh my god, how did I ever get by without this?" For $200 USD, it had better be more than a gadget for idle amusement.

I had a Jawbone wristband and the most important features for me were the sleep tracker and vibrating alarm clock. The Jawbone was actually a bit clunky to sleep with and had quirky end cap that liked to go missing but the Microsoft unit is significantly larger and with only a two day recharge cycle it will require a lot more care and feeding. The Jawbone lasted a week to ten days.

For someone who wears a quality traditional wristwatch these wrist worn gadgets are competing for a very scarce resource, wrist space. I think Apple's watch stands a better chance of staking claim to limited wrist space, but I can't see myself sleeping with the Apple watch on. It'll need to be sitting on the charger anyway.
  • Reply 37 of 100
    N
    tjwolf wrote: »
    So either you get a crook in your neck, hold your arm vertically, or learn to read sideways to operate this thing?

Does anyone know whether it can be taken swimming?
    Cannot be used for swimming according to MS. Still incredible device.
  • Reply 38 of 100
    Whilst I don't think I'm the market for this, I like how it doesn't look anything like a watch. That's where the Apple Watch fails; it's always going to be compared to the finest watches and fail miserably, whereas this is unashamedly a fitness device, and has, dare I say it, an Apple simplicity about it.

It strikes me as much more focused than Apple's effort.

The words hell and frozen spring to mind.
  • Reply 39 of 100
    tomhayes wrote: »
    I bought one today - I'll be testing it while hiking this weekend.

They gave me a $5 gift card to Starbucks with it I have no idea why.

Same here - got $5 Starbucks and screen protector. 8 hours of use so far and think it's fantastic!
    I use it with a iPhone 5S. Text messages and phone alerts display on the band. Calls etc show up on screen. Steps of course are being recorded
    Heart rate seems a little off when doing cardio today. I use a polar h7 with digifit and the band showed between 3% lower to 6% higher compared to the H7 however after 60 minutes it showed total calorie burn 2% up.
    Loving this so far.
  • Reply 40 of 100
    skrems wrote: »
    tomhayes wrote: »
    I bought one today - I'll be testing it while hiking this weekend.

They gave me a $5 gift card to Starbucks with it I have no idea why.

Same here - got $5 Starbucks and screen protector. 8 hours of use so far and think it's fantastic!
    I use it with a iPhone 5S. Text messages and phone alerts display on the band. Calls etc show up on screen. Steps of course are being recorded
    Heart rate seems a little off when doing cardio today. I use a polar h7 with digifit and the band showed between 3% lower to 6% higher compared to the H7 however after 60 minutes it showed total calorie burn 2% up.
    Loving this so far.

Did you notice it affect the battery life of the 5s?