'I'm proud to be gay,' Apple CEO Tim Cook says in open letter supporting equality

Comments

• Reply 461 of 650
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    iphone 3gs wrote: »
    I am kind of sad that Tim is gay, Tim is like my model I just really don't support gays I'm preety sad now :(

Try getting out more. Maybe take up a hobby.
  • Reply 462 of 650
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member

Kudos to Tim Cook.  Normally I don't care when a high profile person comes out and I find it tacky when they do (assuming we care).  However, I don't think this is the case with Cook at all.  It was already known that he was gay by many and it could really help some people who are coming to terms with their own sexuality to know that someone as successful as him is gay as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

We now a confirmation that Tim Cook is gay, even though many feel they knew it already even though it was just speculation.

It wasn't just speculation from everyone.  Cook even mentioned that while he'd never made a public announcement, it wasn't a secret either and that there were many people who knew.  These things have a way of getting around.

"For years, I’ve been open with many people about my sexual orientation." - Tim Cook

Hopefully it won't be too hard to come to terms with Cook going public as I remember that this was a subject that you were very passionate about.

• Reply 463 of 650
    ibeamibeam Posts: 322member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Iphone 3gs View Post

I am kind of sad that Tim is gay, Tim is like my model I just really don't support gays I'm preety sad now image

The president and a vice president of my company are both openly gay. The vice president calls his life partner his wife and I'm pretty sure the president does not have a significant other. They both dress extremely well, drive top of the line luxury cars and have impeccable style and manners. You have to develop your opinion of a person based on how they present themselves to the public, not on what you speculate goes on behind closed doors. There are plenty of rude and obnoxious gays just like there are rude and obnoxious straights. To lump all of either group into one general characterization is unfair and wrong.

• Reply 464 of 650
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Here's a thought:

Tim Cook for president in 2016!

Nah. Not Libertarian enough.

• Reply 465 of 650
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Well I don't know about the President's care (since a single payer system was nixed) but the insurance companies are raising rates by an average of 21% in a few weeks I have been told. Remember there is no care from anywhere but insurance companies as always, they just can't drop you, refuse you or cap you now (that's the change in 2014). They can raise the rates as they see fit it would seem.

My rates just went up another 10%. For me, the 'health care tax' has been nothing but bad.

• Reply 466 of 650
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    Man i felt behind with the comments is going to take a while to read all this!

In another note, Tim has balls of steel! Taking the CEO of apple is not easy task, specially after all Steve achieved. And now comming out like that about his sexuality. It takes balls. My full respect to this man. He is really giving apple a human element.
  • Reply 467 of 650
    Quote:

I am kind of sad that Tim is gay, Tim is like my model I just really don't support gays I'm preety sad now image

I believe he was born that way. I don't believe one really has a choice in the matter. Therefore, he is who he is, just as you are who you are.

• Reply 468 of 650
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    droidftw wrote: »
    It wasn't just speculation from everyone.  Cook even mentioned that while he'd never made a public announcement, it wasn't a secret either and that there were many people who knew.  These things have a way of getting around.

"For years, I’ve been open with many people about my sexual orientation." - Tim Cook

Hopefully it won't be too hard to come to terms with Cook going public as I remember that this was a subject that you were very passionate about.

I asked for documented proof in the past but received none. Where is the proof that existed in the past. Your quote doesn't say he's a homosexual. I've been open with my sexual orientation since I started on this forum and I'm a heterosexual male who loves the boobies nom nom.
  • Reply 469 of 650
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

My rates just went up another 10%. For me, the 'health care tax' has been nothing but bad.

You know health insurance has been steadily rising for decades. It also increases as you get older because you are a greater health risk. Mine has doubled over the last 10 years, and that had nothing to do with Obamacare. I have the same health care provider I've had since forever. It is a group policy through my work but the company contributes very little.

• Reply 470 of 650
    Quote:

I asked for documented proof in the past but received none. Where is the proof that existed in the past. Your quote doesn't say he's a homosexual. I've been open with my sexual orientation since I started on this forum and I'm a heterosexual male who loves boobies.

LOL!

• Reply 471 of 650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ibeam View Post

You know health insurance has been steadily rising for decades. It also increases as you get older because you are a greater health risk. Mine has doubled over the last 10 years, and that had nothing to do with Obamacare. I have the same health care provider I've had since forever. It is a group policy through my work but the company contributes very little.

I'm aware of rates going up because of age. This cost increase has nothing to do with that. Also, I believe around next year or 2016 there is supposed to be a really big increase thanks to this woeful law. You'll really hear people scream then.

• Reply 472 of 650
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Quote:

I believe he was born that way. I don't believe one really has a choice in the matter. Therefore, he is who he is, just as you are who you are.

You may be right, but I don't think it is that simple. I think that in most cases, people develop homosexual tendencies through traumatic events in early life. And people also simply choose to lean that way; hence, bisexual people.

• Reply 473 of 650
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member

Now we just need Jony Ive to come out and that will explain the GUI in iOS 7/8

/s

• Reply 474 of 650
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member

You may be right, but I don't think it is that simple. I think that in most cases, people develop homosexual tendencies through traumatic events in early life. And people also simply choose to lean that way; hence, bisexual people.

I think science would disagree with you these days.
  • Reply 475 of 650
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    And people also simply choose to lean that way; hence, bisexual people.

I'm amazed that anyone still thinks it's a choice.

Also, the world is not flat nor is it the center of the Universe despite what certain doctrine may say.
  • Reply 476 of 650
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    ibeam wrote: »

I'm aware of rates going up because of age. This cost increase has nothing to do with that. Also, I believe around next year or 2016 there is supposed to be a really big increase thanks to this woeful law. You'll really hear people scream then.

I guess if you can't argue successfully that the current situation is bad because the "woeful law", then floating vague, dire warnings about what you "believe" will happen in a couple of years is worth a try.
  • Reply 477 of 650
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

If you asked them, virtually all would tell you that's untrue. They'll tell you they're gay for the same reason you're straight -- you just were.

• Reply 478 of 650
    Quote:

People are extremely complex, thinking organisms, so I can't simply dismiss any theory out of hand without proof. It should be noted that the drive to reproduce is one of the strongest in the human species (along with other survival traits) because natural selection has made it this way. Behaviors that are not genetic and do not kill the organism may develop simply because survival is not threatened by their existence. If natural selection actually determined the existence of "gay" humans, then they would've all "died off" because they do not reproduce, which is why I believe there is a recurring genetic event that randomly, or via environmental factors affects development. Thus, it's genetics and it's random and the fact that it appears in many species indicates it is not a "choice".

• Reply 479 of 650
    Quote:

Quote:

And people also simply choose to lean that way; hence, bisexual people.

I'm amazed that anyone still thinks it's a choice.

Also, the world is not flat nor is it the center of the Universe despite what certain doctrine may say.

Going from my personal experience, it seems mundane to me that sexual preference is a choice. Have you ever been drunk? It’s amazing how things change then! 

More seriously, I remember that, as a boy on the cusp of puberty, sexual preference was a very undefined thing, and I could quite easily see how one could latch onto different desires. Perhaps it’s much simpler for others, but for me, I didn't immediately think that all women were extremely desirable at the first sign of puberty. It was a much gentler, subtler thing.

Happily, I latched onto the good old female bod with its attendant wonders.

• Reply 480 of 650
    Quote:

Human emotions are complex. You cannot simplify them to some predictable social formula.