Seth Rogen to play Steve Wozniak alongside Christian Bale's Steve Jobs

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2014
Actor Seth Rogen, famous for comedic roles in hits like "Superbad" and "Knocked Up," will reportedly appear in the upcoming Steve Jobs biopic written by Oscar winner Aaron Sorkin, and is set to take on the role of Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak.

Rogen's role in the highly anticipated Sony production was revealed on Thursday by film industry publication Variety. Rogen will star opposite Christian Bale, who will play the role of Steve Jobs.

The project has attracted top-level talent, as it will be directed by Danny Boyle, who won an Oscar for Best Director in 2008 for the film "Slumdog Millionaire." Sorkin won his Academy Award in 2011 for "The Social Network," while Bale won Best Supporting Actor in 2011 for his performance in "The Fighter."

Sorkin's script is expected to be loosely based on Walter Isaacson's official Jobs biography. The screenwriter has said the movie will consist of scenes that take place before the unveilings of three key products: the original Mac, NeXT and the iPod.

Wozniak left Apple in early 1987, which would put him at the company for just the launch of the original Mac. But Sorkin's films are not known to stick closely to historical facts, as seen in his depiction of Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg in "The Social Network." Sorkin himself has said the film will be more akin to a painting rather than a photograph.

The upcoming movie will be the second attempt at a Steve Jobs feature after indie film "Jobs," the ill-received Ashton Kutcher vehicle released in 2013.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    This is shaping to be good.

Despite Rogan's frequent comedic roles, he is a very good actor.

And Christian Bale playing Steve Jobs is just the ultimate choice among choices.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    simtubsimtub Posts: 277member
    Seth Rogen is similar in height to Christian Bale where as Steve always appeared to tower over Woz. Interesting to see how they frame on screen. But Seth is a decent actor.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    "More of a painting than a photograph"
    lol
    Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

OT : I saw The Guilt Trip on a flight with Rogen and Streisand in it. I ended up enjoying the movie largely due to the interplay between the two. (Hey, there was very little else in it.) I thought he did very well alongside Streisand.
    Good actor.
  • Reply 4 of 28
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
  • Reply 5 of 28
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    So will "Woz" smoke weed in the film?
  • Reply 6 of 28
    Quote:

Originally Posted by simtub View Post

Seth Rogen is similar in height to Christian Bale where as Steve always appeared to tower over Woz. Interesting to see how they frame on screen. But Seth is a decent actor.

I think most of the interaction between the two is Woz sitting a bench working on a circuit board while Jobs looms over him.

• Reply 7 of 28
    So it's going to be a buddy comedy?
  • Reply 8 of 28
    So it's going to be a buddy comedy?

Yes, if James Franco was picked to be Steve Jobs.
  • Reply 9 of 28
    I like Rogen, but I think he's too goofy/aloof to play Woz. I was thinking more like Zach Galifianakis.
  • Reply 10 of 28
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    I like Rogen, but I think he's too goofy/aloof to play Woz. I was thinking more like Zach Galifianakis.

Nah Rogan has a good balance. Plus the real Woz was indeed often just that... Goofy and aloof, rarely taking the work they did seriously.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Yes, if James Franco was picked to be Steve Jobs.

And if Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak were going to assassinate Kim Jong Un.

• Reply 12 of 28
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member

I might watch that. Especially if in Marvel style attire.
  • Reply 13 of 28
    unicronunicron Posts: 154member

Name a movie where Seth Rogan isn't playing Seth Rogan. He doesn't really do "acting" or characters. Laid back stoner dude seems very far away from Woz's manic personality.

• Reply 14 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Unicron View Post

Name a movie where Seth Rogan isn't playing Seth Rogan. He doesn't really do "acting" or characters. Laid back stoner dude seems very far away from Woz's manic personality.

On the other hand, name a movie where Jack Nicholson isn't playing Jack Nicholson. The best actors are being their own person in the situation they find their self.

• Reply 15 of 28
    The days before Woz got mega-fat.
  • Reply 16 of 28
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

They'd better hurry up before Kim Jong Un dies of gluttony.

• Reply 17 of 28
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

They'd better hurry up before Kim Jong Un dies of gluttony.

Turns out the movie is a documentary.

• Reply 18 of 28
    frankiefrankie Posts: 381member

Meh this is not going well....Bale is overrated and Seth sucks.  He annoys the cr@p out of me.  Sorkin is an excellent writer however so I guess we'll see what happens.

• Reply 19 of 28
    frankie wrote: »
    Meh this is not going well....Bale is overrated and Seth sucks.  He annoys the cr@p out of me.  Sorkin is an excellent writer however so I guess we'll see what happens.

I would just watch a keynote or two. Nothing will match the real thing!
  • Reply 20 of 28
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    pmz wrote: »
    Plus the real Woz was indeed often just that... Goofy and aloof, rarely taking the work they did seriously.

I don't know how you can say that.
    Woz, imnsho - was extremely focused back at that time.
    Not in a commercial sense but in a scientific, engineering sense, definitely. Discovering how to make things work more efficiently.
    At the time - genius.

Anywhoo - how Rogen will portray that side of Woz is anybody's guess.
    That will be down to the script.
    I suspect both Jobs' and Woz's characters to be glorified given Apples rise as a company.