Amazon exec blames lackluster Fire Phone sales on pricing, says project will continue

Comments

• Reply 21 of 88
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,292member
    What this camera really needs is more cameras. Maybe some internal cameras to show the chips and stuff. Yeah, I think that would do it
    If the next one has an X-ray vision camera, I "might" consider testing it out, otherwise, nah uh...
  • Reply 22 of 88
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,292member
    jungmark wrote: »
    "We didn't get the price right" was the reason? Sure it was. How about you didn't get the product right. Even if you give shit away for free, no one's gonna want that.
    I don't know about that, with all the

at MCX over CurrentC, they may need to start importing it :smokey:
  • Reply 23 of 88
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Bozos has a massive ego and he thinks he's the next Steve Jobs. All these hardware projects are just to feed his ego so he can get up on stage and be Mr. salesman like Steve Jobs was.

The issue is that Amazon, instead of partnering with Apple, is competing against them.   

Google did the same thing.

The thing that Apple did well, was nearly die.   That hardened it's immune system to rampant stupidity of genius, and also taught them a ruthless business acumen.   I've said it before.  Jobs was mercurial.  Tim Cook is the stone cold ruthless one.  

Bezos isn't the next steve jobs...

just a different steve jobs.  

Or an older 'young' steve jobs.

One that hasn't failed yet, hasn't been exiled by his board, one that has come back to a foundering company.   Experience [e.g. failure] is the best teacher.   Bezos has yet to graduate from that school.

The hardware projects... as best I can tell, they are trying to control the sales endpoint into the amazon engine for e-content.  Nothing more.  It's not an ego thing, it's a defensive mechanism to make a better android than Google, and an better iPad Mini sized ebook reader than Apple.  That's appropriate.  

Even the phone I think is a posture to protect against Apple partnering with say a Kroger or a Tesco and building out a 'groceryKit' API.   It's obvious that the interface into the Internet will be the phone first and foremost, and Amazon needs to have a clear channel to the front screen to be able to get Siri or Bob, or Clippy or Cortana or whomever to answer the question "I need the following items for my dinner party tomorrow... bunch of cilantro, 2 15oz cans of black beans[...], and 2 bottles of Mark West Pinot Noir" and the answer comes back.  "Amazon Local can have them at your doorstep between 4:15pm and 5:30pm tomorrow.  Price is $124.33.  Shall I confirm the order?"

That's Amazon's vision.  

Amazon can't get to the volumes it's minuscule margins needs to make appreciable profit.   Apple's Siri is non-denominational, and Apple will want it's 3-30% of the revenue of the 'in-app purchase'.    Amazon can't afford that.  It has eliminate Apple's layer.

That is why I always say, the long game isn't Apple/Google or Apple/Samsung or Apple/Microsoft.

It's Apple/Amazon.  Who has more fingers on the 'buy' button, more credit cards on file, more fulfillment options on the back end.

The best way in the long game to monetize your internet play is taking a small slice of a huge set of transactions, and make the transaction delightful with your HW/Website/search engine.

With TouchID and ApplePay and InApp purchases, Amazon is being flanked.  and a truce and a partnership will siphon off the promised profits.

Bezos is about to graduate.

• Reply 24 of 88
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

— the company has $83 million worth of unsold supply —

What to do, what to do?  Oh, of course!

Two words: "Kindle arson."

• Reply 25 of 88

I've known Dave Limp for 30 years, since our college days.  We were hired at Apple together.  He's been an incredibly gifted and talented engineer and manager, and throughout his career and he's done very well for himself.  A number of Apple products in the 90's (PowerMacs) were his designs.

Of course, not every design is going to do well in the marketplace and I know he's disappointed about the Fire.  He was hired to do Amazon's first phone which had lower expectations and didn't have as much time to design.  They had higher hopes for the Fire, but honestly, it's really hard to break into the phone market these days, especially in North America.  His recent Kindles have done well and their new media stick looks like it will be a hit...the problem is that they can't ship it in mass until after Christmas.

• Reply 26 of 88

D-E-L-U-S-I-O-N-A-L-!

• Reply 27 of 88
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member

Don't make any damn phone, would ya, Amazon? It's not your expertise. Stick with what you're good at.

• Reply 28 of 88
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    boredumb wrote: »

Yep - that's the whole problem:  charging for it...

ROFL
  • Reply 29 of 88
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">The issue is that Amazon, instead of partnering with Apple, is competing against them.   </span>

Google did the same thing.

The thing that Apple did well, was nearly die.   That hardened it's immune system to rampant stupidity of genius, and also taught them a ruthless business acumen.   I've said it before.  Jobs was mercurial.  Tim Cook is the stone cold ruthless one.  

Bezos isn't the next steve jobs...

just a different steve jobs.  

Or an older 'young' steve jobs.

One that hasn't failed yet, hasn't been exiled by his board, one that has come back to a foundering company.   Experience [e.g. failure] is the best teacher.   Bezos has yet to graduate from that school.

The hardware projects... as best I can tell, they are trying to control the sales endpoint into the amazon engine for e-content.  Nothing more.  It's not an ego thing, it's a defensive mechanism to make a better android than Google, and an better iPad Mini sized ebook reader than Apple.  That's appropriate.  

Even the phone I think is a posture to protect against Apple partnering with say a Kroger or a Tesco and building out a 'groceryKit' API.   It's obvious that the interface into the Internet will be the phone first and foremost, and Amazon needs to have a clear channel to the front screen to be able to get Siri or Bob, or Clippy or Cortana or whomever to answer the question "I need the following items for my dinner party tomorrow... bunch of cilantro, 2 15oz cans of black beans[...], and 2 bottles of Mark West Pinot Noir" and the answer comes back.  "Amazon Local can have them at your doorstep between 4:15pm and 5:30pm tomorrow.  Price is $124.33.  Shall I confirm the order?"

That's Amazon's vision.  

Amazon can't get to the volumes it's minuscule margins needs to make appreciable profit.   Apple's Siri is non-denominational, and Apple will want it's 3-30% of the revenue of the 'in-app purchase'.    Amazon can't afford that.  It has eliminate Apple's layer.

That is why I always say, the long game isn't Apple/Google or Apple/Samsung or Apple/Microsoft.

It's Apple/Amazon.  Who has more fingers on the 'buy' button, more credit cards on file, more fulfillment options on the back end.

The best way in the long game to monetize your internet play is taking a small slice of a huge set of transactions, and make the transaction delightful with your HW/Website/search engine.

With TouchID and ApplePay and InApp purchases, Amazon is being flanked.  and a truce and a partnership will siphon off the promised profits.

Bezos is about to graduate.

I just hope Bezos doesn't end up destroying Amazon itself with his delusions of grandeur. I'd miss the on-line store terribly.
  • Reply 30 of 88
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Amazon should follow the advice I used to give my oft in trouble step son. "Whenever you get an idea, don't do it" :lol:

Ouch. Then again you were there.
  • Reply 31 of 88
    sirdirsirdir Posts: 186member
    Nobody needs another phone OS that isn't really compatible to 'the big ones'.
    The best thing I could do to my Kindle Fire HD was to reflash it with android (while trying to get it to 4.4.4 I unfortunately bricked it...)
    So, yes, the price was too high, it would actually have to be cheaper than the average android phone... and going exclusive with some strange carriers didn't help for sure...
  • Reply 32 of 88
    The first of October here in Maryland we had to start paying state sales tax on Amazon orders because they are opening up a distribution center here. I would not be surprised if more and more places tightening the tax grip will squeeze Amazon even harder.
  • Reply 33 of 88
    softekysofteky Posts: 136member
    They had a Fire Sale in an attempt to counter the Limp Marketing Strategy™.

Now they're left with $80M+ of inventory that they cannot even give away for fear of cannibalizing their successor product. I wonder why they think the successor will fare any better.

At this point all they can do is poison the well (perhaps a Christmas phone giveaway, maybe tied to "Prime" renewal), add to some landfill, or flood some other market where their competitors rule.

Might as well put the expectation of a less than 1% profit margin to some use.
  • Reply 34 of 88
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Bozos has a massive ego and he thinks he's the next Steve Jobs. All these hardware projects are just to feed his ego so he can get up on stage and be Mr. salesman like Steve Jobs was.

I totally agree with you.  He sickens me.  When I watched the Fire unveil and he quoted Steve Jobs "One More Thing" I wanted to punch his smug face in.  The ride will be over soon.  You can't keep diving into your AR to fund these projects forever.

• Reply 35 of 88
    sevenfeet wrote: »
    His recent Kindles have done well

Really? How do you know this? Do you have, or have you seen any numbers at all, that you can share with us? (Amazon seems to be very coy about putting out any sales numbers -- I wonder why.)
  • Reply 36 of 88
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Really? How do you know this? Do you have, or have you seen any numbers at all, that you can share with us? (Amazon seems to be very coy about putting out any sales numbers -- I wonder why.)

What I meant is that they were reviewed well.  I don't know sales numbers and I doubt Dave would tell me if I asked (major SEC violation).  The Fire didn't exactly set the world on fire (pun intended) when it was reviewed.  It was solid, but solid isn't enough in this market.

• Reply 37 of 88
    By letting me drunk shop at 2 AM Saturdays when I come home from the local bar, then being surprised on Monday morning with a gift from my drunk self. 

THIS! Haha, this is so true.
  • Reply 38 of 88
    sevenfeet wrote: »

What I meant is that they were reviewed well.  I don't know sales numbers and I doubt Dave would tell me if I asked (major SEC violation).  The Fire didn't exactly set the world on fire (pun intended) when it was reviewed.  It was solid, but solid isn't enough in this market.

Nothing of that sort -- I am not sure you understand what an 'SEC violation' means. It's simply data that Amazon (unlike Apple) has no inclination to provide. All I can surmise is that they're embarrassed and don't want to reveal the truth.
  • Reply 39 of 88
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    jungmark wrote: »
    "We didn't get the price right" was the reason? Sure it was. How about you didn't get the product right. Even if you give shit away for free, no one's gonna want that.

QFT.
  • Reply 40 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

•  

•  

•  

Nothing of that sort -- I am not sure you understand what an 'SEC violation' means. It's simply data that Amazon (unlike Apple) has no inclination to provide. All I can surmise is that they're embarrassed and don't want to reveal the truth.

I mean what I say.  At the Sr. VP level, Dave is a Director officer in the company.  If he reveals key sales data to myself, an outsider who works for another large silicon valley tech company, then he'd be in trouble for insider trading laws, regardless of whether I did anything with the information.  If I did anything with the information other than report it to authorities, then I'd be charged against those same laws.  My company makes all of us do training classes on the subject and I'm sure he's had training on the subject too.

Dave is allowed to reveal information widely if the CEO and board approve, like Amazon having $83 million of inventory left.  Disseminating the information to a public media source means that everyone gets the information to make an investment decision at the same time.