Users report slow Wi-Fi, dropped connections after upgrading to Apple's OS X Yosemite

Comments

• Reply 21 of 64
    ....delete all your old wifi-settings (on all devices, computer,...), reboot, log-in again, it helps most of the time. An other problem: I am unable to do the update "dictation language Enlish 2.04 and German 2.03" - the App Store does the update in a very short time, but t is coming again and again. A manual installation or a App Store reset does not help or change anything, does anybody have a solution for this problem? Additionally: it is hard to read on a yosemite screen because of the new design/font.
  • Reply 22 of 64

The problem seems to be more on WP2A Enterprise WIFI connections as mine as we speak is dropping out and reconnecting constantly as it has been since I installed the public version of Yosemite. At home on the Airport Extreme all my Mac's and iPhones are ok. 

Prior the public release I was on the Developer preview version and this didn't have the issue.

All the so called fixes don't work for me as I suspect Apple need to push out a fix in a software update.

• Reply 23 of 64
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    captain j wrote: »
    Given how awesome Mavericks is I always wonder why people don't want a month or two before upgrading.

Actually Yosemite is pretty awesome itself. It really doesn't make sense to wait when every single release, even a bug fix minor release has the potential to add problems.

As for this specific issue I can't say I've experienced this problem on my 2008 MBP. This machine has intact been performing very well over WiFi even if there seems to be other Yosemite introduced performance issues. I consider downloading XCode to be one stress test that has indicated good performance to me several times over.

I have seen some downloads become real slow in iTunes for example. However this happened on Mavricks too. Generally passion the iTunes download and restarting it takes care of the problem. This appears to be a server problem not a Mac OS problem.

The point here is that I've downloaded some massive files (XCode, and various developer releases of Mac OS and iOS) and have gotten excellent download speeds and results. Nothing really indicates a Mac OS problem for my hardware. Now this doesn't mean anything as it could be weird hardware interactions caspusijg problems.
  • Reply 24 of 64

I am not sure what peoples issues would be, but my Mac (2008 17" MBP) and my iOS devices (3rd gen iPad and iPhone 5S) have had no issues connecting to or using WiFi.  I know enough about WiFi to know that not every router uses a proper implementation of the IEEE specs for the different versions of the 802.11 network types.  There is no way Apple can test for every network configuration or setup.  However, if you are having network issues on a Mac, I suggest clearing the PRAM and if you are having network issues on an iOS device, clear the network settings.  This is easily done under "Settings" >>--> "General" >>--> "Reset" >>--> "Reset Network Settings".  Also make sure your home router is running the most current and updated version of it's firmware / software.

I suspect that the vast majority of people are not having these issues at all.  And for those that do have these issues, there could be many different reasons for it.  Just blaming Apple for it does not make sense.

• Reply 25 of 64
    Why are you so focused on the announcement?

Probably because nobody cares about Tims personal life. What we do care about is an Apple that is getting sloppy with its software engineering and quality control.

In this case I haven't seen the problem on my Mac and in fact I like Yosemite a lot. On iOS 8.1 I do see connectivity issues on my old iPad 3. Honestly I could live with an occasional connectivity issue but when combined with all of the other significant bugs in iOS 8.x it is pretty damn frustrating. So yeah let's get Tim to refocus on running the business.
  • Reply 26 of 64

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Probably because nobody cares about Tims personal life. 

That's clearly incorrect.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

What we do care about is an Apple that is getting sloppy with its software engineering and quality control.

Then why bring up the announcement in another thread that has nothing to do with it? Complaining about distractions by creating distractions is obviously hypocritical.

• Reply 27 of 64
    roxtar40 wrote: »
    Gee, when I mentioned this when Yosemite was released (in that article's comments) and mentioned the thread on the Apple support forums,
    If you have 27 years in the industry you must realize that some issues just don't show up unless you get the right combination of circumstance. In my case Yosemite has been very good WiFi wise on admittedly old hardware. IOS 8 hasn't been and that has been the case through most of the developer betas I've installed over the last few months.
    several fabulous AppleInsiders ripped me to shreds, told me I must be a computer idiot (27 years at the job), and worse. So now AI reports it, and it becomes "real". Why bother, man? 

Why bother? Good question, I've asked myself that same question many times when trying to help people on various forums. I'm really left with the impression that technical ignorance is an ever expanding problem in American society, some people you couldn't help even if you had a way to download the information directly into their minds. In this case though you where likely questioned because this problem doesn't exist for everybody.
  • Reply 28 of 64
    Quote:

Probably because nobody cares about Tims personal life. What we do care about is an Apple that is getting sloppy with its software engineering and quality control.

In this case I haven't seen the problem on my Mac and in fact I like Yosemite a lot. On iOS 8.1 I do see connectivity issues on my old iPad 3. Honestly I could live with an occasional connectivity issue but when combined with all of the other significant bugs in iOS 8.x it is pretty damn frustrating. So yeah let's get Tim to refocus on running the business.

Not sure what "significant bugs" you are referring to.  I have had no issues with iOS 8.x.  Is my 3rd gen iPad slower now?  Yes, but I expected that would be the case, it's now pretty old hardware.  I don't think Apple is "getting sloppy with it's software engineering and quality control".  If anything they seem to be getting better and more responsive.  Blaming Apple for issues caused by buggy third party apps and software would hardly seem fair to me.

Also, Mr. Cook's, see I am not on a first name basis with him like you seem to be, private life in this regard is a very big deal.  As a gay man myself, his recent announcement made significant history in the business world at large and more so in the tech industry.

Now, maybe you could do better.  Maybe you could run Apple and double it's net worth and never have a software glitch one.  Of course you know Mr. Cook writes all the code himself.

In other words..  Stop trolling..  If you have a real problem, do some troubleshooting or pay someone to do it for you.  More then likely it is third party software or some other incompatibility.

• Reply 29 of 64
    jimtjimt Posts: 16member

I use Time-Warner Cable for internet...and have recently experienced some occasional slow-down...downloading and uploading. I verified it on Speedtest.net.

However, I expect this is caused by the recent TW "throttling" issue. I tested just a few minutes ago...and all was fine!

• Reply 30 of 64
    i have a 2010 imac, ipad 3rd gen, iphone 5S, ipad mini 2 and i have had no wifi issues since using even the yosemite and ios 8 betas on anything. i did clean reinstalls to the public releases and still no issues with my wifi. internet yes, but thats cause TWC blows
  • Reply 31 of 64

I had the dropping wifi issue after I upgraded to Yosemite. Wouldn't stay connected to corporate network for more than 30 seconds. It was fine before the upgrade. I tried many of the "suggestions" on the apple help forums and eventually one worked. Deleting the SystemConfiguration preferences folder.

Our Corporate IT has banned Yosemite upgrades because of this and a host of other issues that affect daily workflow, until further notice at least. 

IMO OSX upgrades are more problem prone than clean installs.

• Reply 32 of 64
    Then why bring up the announcement in another thread that has nothing to do with it? Complaining about distractions by creating distractions is obviously hypocritical.

If a CEO is demonstrating that he isn't 100% focused on his job that is a legitimate concern for customers and shareholders. The slippage in quality control at Apple is clearly a problem that needs to be addressed so it is reasonable to be concerned when a CEO places his personal life above the direction the company is going.

Many people (Democrats) here just don't grasp the difference between being a CEO and an employee. It takes continuous focus on driving the company for that company to remain successful. You see companies go into rapid decline after a CEO retires, dies or otherwise leaves the company, because a ship needs a captain to keep it on course. So in light of the many mis steps Appl has made lately with respect to software quality it is very reasonable to ask what the hell is Tim doing here, you can't afford to have a CEO that isn't giving 100% to the company.

By the way I refer to democrats on purpose here because there seems to be this concept floating around in those circles that businessman don't build companies on their own and that they aren't responsible for their success of failure, This massive bit of ignorance is why it is impossible to have any respect for the party. Look these people champion weak leadership even if it means the slaughter of tens of thousands, the importation of dangerous desease into the country or other complete non sense.
  • Reply 33 of 64

It dropped for me in GM2, but in none of the DPs or release.

• Reply 34 of 64
    Quote:

If a CEO is demonstrating that he isn't 100% focused on his job that is a legitimate concern for customers and shareholders. The slippage in quality control at Apple is clearly a problem that needs to be addressed so it is reasonable to be concerned when a CEO places his personal life above the direction the company is going.

Many people (Democrats) here just don't grasp the difference between being a CEO and an employee. It takes continuous focus on driving the company for that company to remain successful. You see companies go into rapid decline after a CEO retires, dies or otherwise leaves the company, because a ship needs a captain to keep it on course. So in light of the many mis steps Appl has made lately with respect to software quality it is very reasonable to ask what the hell is Tim doing here, you can't afford to have a CEO that isn't giving 100% to the company.

By the way I refer to democrats on purpose here because there seems to be this concept floating around in those circles that businessman don't build companies on their own and that they aren't responsible for their success of failure, This massive bit of ignorance is why it is impossible to have any respect for the party. Look these people champion weak leadership even if it means the slaughter of tens of thousands, the importation of dangerous desease into the country or other complete non sense.

Nobody is 100% focused on their job.  Thinking this is the case is as ignorant as thinking that we can seal off our country from disease. Same ignorant minds tabled a vaccine because it doesn't make money until there's a major outbreak.

• Reply 35 of 64
    rorwessels wrote: »

Not sure what "significant bugs" you are referring to.  I have had no issues with iOS 8.x.
    You are either being dishonest here or simply not an agreesive user of the apps supplied with iOS 8. At least one of my bug reports is still open and another is a duplicate of a bug already reported. These are serious show stopping bugs that can lock up Safari for one.
      Is my 3rd gen iPad slower now?  Yes, but I expected that would be the case, it's now pretty old hardware. 
    Interesting because I'm running a third generation iPad also. I wouldn't call it universally slower as some things are faster. Safari for example performs much better when it doesn't lock up.
    I don't think Apple is "getting sloppy with it's software engineering and quality control".  If anything they seem to be getting better and more responsive.  Blaming Apple for issues caused by buggy third party apps and software would hardly seem fair to me.
    Your BS is getting pretty deep here, I never blamed Apple for third party apps. The bugs are with and in iOS 8.x not any third party apps that I have installed.
    Also, Mr. Cook's, see I am not on a first name basis with him like you seem to be, private life in this regard is a very big deal.  As a gay man myself, his recent announcement made significant history in the business world at large and more so in the tech industry.
    You seem to mis the point Apple needs a leader focused on driving the company not someone that will let personal interests distract him from doing his job. You want to believe that Apple hasn't slipped this year with respect to software quality, you can believe whatever you want but that doesn't make you right in light of the evidence all around us.

Now, maybe you could do better.  Maybe you could run Apple and double it's net worth and never have a software glitch one.  Of course you know Mr. Cook writes all the code himself.
    Generally I don't associate gay with being ignorant, however in your case I may need to reconsider that. I never implied that Tim writes any code. What I've said is that the CEO is the responsible person here, it is Tims responsibility to make sure that quality is maintained.

Beyond that I don't expect a bug free world, that will never happen. What bothers me is the volume and severity of the bugs.

In other words..  Stop trolling..  If you have a real problem, do some troubleshooting or pay someone to do it for you.  More then likely it is third party software or some other incompatibility.

Again don't be so dense or defensive or make things up. The problems with iOS 8 have nothing to do with third party apps - zip! The real problems I've had have resulted in bug reports to Apple, in two cases reports that remain open. In one case, the Safari lock ups, there have been plenty of reports across a wide array of forums detailing the same problem.

In a nut shell my posts are fact based and should be a concern for any Apple customer. Expecting better is not trolling. The lack of objectivity like is displayed in your post is though.
  • Reply 36 of 64
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Wifi is still crappy with iOS 8.1 too. Stuff like this is what you should be focused on Tim, not gay rights.

I agree.  The entire company is focused on lots of things except the main thing, which to me means stabilizing all the little quirks in Yosemite and IOS that happen now and then but most people write off because they are neither consistent or predictable.  If Mr Ive wants to change the way everything looks (even though it is not my preference and makes it more difficult with my less than perfect eyesight) fine.  But let's get back to the old standards which made Mac my computer of choice:  Stability, standardization, and intuitive UI.

• Reply 37 of 64
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member

It is likely that this is an issue with certain models and router combinations, possibly due to specific wireless chip.

I have a Mac mini server (2010) and MacBook Air 11" (2013) both running OS X Yosemite with an AirPort Extreme (2013) with no issues. I've used the MacBook Air in other locations with other routers without issue.

• Reply 38 of 64

I haven't experienced any of these issues on my old iMac or my new Retina iMac. I don't use any bluetooth accessories with my iMac's. I prefer the wired keyboard with numeric keypad. I have had issues in the past before Yosemite with 5-gigahertz frequency but that was always fixed by changing channels on my router. 

• Reply 39 of 64
    I've had an issue with intermittent WiFi performance on Yosemite, only since the GM, which I can verify as an issue when I Option-[I]click[/I] the WiFi symbol in the Menu Bar. It will show I'm on 802.11n despite everything in the home now being 802.11ac. Disabling and then reenabling WiFI resolves this issue for days at a time.

So far, I've only noticed this on my home network with the latest AirPort Extreme router, but that is where I spend most of my time on the Internet with my 2013 MBP so it's not surprising.

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/51781/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
  • Reply 40 of 64
    Nobody is 100% focused on their job.  
    Baloney! Do you not think Steve Jobs was not completely focused on Apple thought his life! How about George Eastman when Kodak was a successful company? There are many examples in real life where men built companies and organization through complete dedication to the development of those organizations. It is all about having a passion for something you have created.
    Thinking this is the case is as ignorant as thinking that we can seal off our country from disease.
    Yet throughout history it has worked. Even in Africa today it is working. It is far more ignorant to let a disease into your country that you don't have an effective cure for.
    Same ignorant minds tabled a vaccine because it doesn't make money until there's a major outbreak.
    So what vaccine is that? As far as I know none have been demonstrated to be effective and safe.

To put it simply it isn't ignorant to protect your communities from something as deadly as Ebola. By the way that doesn't mean that we stop helping people in Africa. What it means is that we do the simple things here to protect society until a better handle is had on the sickness. It is notable that the military has no problem at all quarantining its men in the fight against Ebola yet we can not seem to keep one stupid nurse under quarantine. The lack of leadership here comes from the president lacking the ability to actually lead on a sound quarantine policy.