Users report slow Wi-Fi, dropped connections after upgrading to Apple's OS X Yosemite

Comments

• Reply 41 of 64
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

You are either being dishonest here or simply not an agreesive user of the apps supplied with iOS 8. At least one of my bug reports is still open and another is a duplicate of a bug already reported. These are serious show stopping bugs that can lock up Safari for one.

Interesting because I'm running a third generation iPad also. I wouldn't call it universally slower as some things are faster. Safari for example performs much better when it doesn't lock up.

Your BS is getting pretty deep here, I never blamed Apple for third party apps. The bugs are with and in iOS 8.x not any third party apps that I have installed.

You seem to mis the point Apple needs a leader focused on driving the company not someone that will let personal interests distract him from doing his job. You want to believe that Apple hasn't slipped this year with respect to software quality, you can believe whatever you want but that doesn't make you right in light of the evidence all around us.

Generally I don't associate gay with being ignorant, however in your case I may need to reconsider that. I never implied that Tim writes any code. What I've said is that the CEO is the responsible person here, it is Tims responsibility to make sure that quality is maintained.

Beyond that I don't expect a bug free world, that will never happen. What bothers me is the volume and severity of the bugs.

Again don't be so dense or defensive or make things up. The problems with iOS 8 have nothing to do with third party apps - zip! The real problems I've had have resulted in bug reports to Apple, in two cases reports that remain open. In one case, the Safari lock ups, there have been plenty of reports across a wide array of forums detailing the same problem.

In a nut shell my posts are fact based and should be a concern for any Apple customer. Expecting better is not trolling. The lack of objectivity like is displayed in your post is though.

I am sorry, but I am not the idiot here..  I use my iOS devices constantly throughout the day in business related tasks.  I use all the native apps on the device constantly, including Safari.  I am also smart enough to know that issues with web sites are usually related to the code of the site more then the browser.  Also, bug reports from one user, you, does not an epidemic make.  All of that aside.  What I took offense too was you assertion that somehow Mr. Cook's statements on equality somehow made him not focus on running Apple.  Which as ignorant or bigoted a statement as anyone could possibly make.

• Reply 42 of 64
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain J View Post

Given how awesome Mavericks is I always wonder why people don't want a month or two before upgrading.

Exactly.  I'm so glad I haven't updated.   I'll wait for a .1 or .2 update.    I simply don't need the grief.   Over all the decades, the only major bug I ever experienced after a major OS upgrade caused every Apple application not to work properly.   After two weeks of diagnosis both with and without Apple's help, I discovered it was a font that worked perfectly fine in the previous OS, but the new OS didn't like it and killed every Apple app even if that font was never selected.   I don't remember which upgrade it was, but it had to be before 2008.  

If Apple wasn't so obsessed about secrecy (although they're less 'secret' than they were under Jobs), they would do a public beta, not just test with Apple Developers, and work out most of the bugs before an official release.    I can understand bugs appearing for obscure use cases, but WiFi and Bluetooth major bugs for lots of users?    Apple should be ashamed and Cook should really be after the people responsible.   

I also have to wonder what they changed that would screw it up so badly.    It's not like there's new WiFi and Bluetooth functionality in the new release. 

• Reply 43 of 64
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:

Baloney! Do you not think Steve Jobs was not completely focused on Apple thought his life! ....There are many examples in real life where men built companies and organization through complete dedication to the development of those organizations. It is all about having a passion for something you have created.

And sometimes focusing only on the company causes one to make serious critical business errors.   If you don't have a real life and interact with real people, you don't know how real people live or what their needs are.    I'd rather have someone designing my products who may not be an obsessive-compulsive and knows what it's like to have a family and friends who they spend time with and someone who has an active cultural life.   If you spend all your time with geeks, then you'll never know how to design a decent user-interface.   

Back in the 1970s, when the Detroit-based big car companies began to experience massive failures, it was said that one of the reasons was because the senior executives of these companies only spoke with people like themselves and most of the socialization they did was with other people like themselves on golf courses.    They had no idea how ordinary Americans lived and therefore had no idea what the typical American wanted in a car.    So they continued to build gigantic, ugly gas-guzzlers that lasted about two years before needing major repairs.    And that gave the Japanese (and later the Europeans) an entry into the American market, even though Japanese cars were more expensive than American cars in those days.    Same was true in that era for Sony, who was largely responsible for companies like Admiral, Magnavox, GE, Westinghouse and others being forced out of the consumer electronics business. 

Today, the tide has turned and many of those Japanese companies are facing the same issues that American companies faced back then and they're obviously being overtaken by Chinese and Korean companies.    But the point is that in order to build great products, you can't only focus on the company and the product.    Because in the end, it's humans who use these products so in order to build quality products, you need to understand human behavior. 

• Reply 44 of 64
    As a Mountain Lion user, I'm just kicking back with my popcorn. ;)
  • Reply 45 of 64
    Quote:

If you have 27 years in the industry you must realize that some issues just don't show up unless you get the right combination of circumstance. In my case Yosemite has been very good WiFi wise on admittedly old hardware. IOS 8 hasn't been and that has been the case through most of the developer betas I've installed over the last few months.

Why bother? Good question, I've asked myself that same question many times when trying to help people on various forums. I'm really left with the impression that technical ignorance is an ever expanding problem in American society, some people you couldn't help even if you had a way to download the information directly into their minds. In this case though you where likely questioned because this problem doesn't exist for everybody.

In my original post on the topic, it was clearly acknowledged that this was only happening for SOME, and the various solutions did not work for everyone. My point was more about being chastised for even mentioning this seemed to be happening to a fair number of folks. I was questioned because social media brings out the jerks in about 99% of the cases. People would rather troll and slam others than be helpful or say nothing if all they have is negativity.

• Reply 46 of 64
    Quote:

Baloney! Do you not think Steve Jobs was not completely focused on Apple thought his life! How about George Eastman when Kodak was a successful company? There are many examples in real life where men built companies and organization through complete dedication to the development of those organizations. It is all about having a passion for something you have created.

Yet throughout history it has worked. Even in Africa today it is working. It is far more ignorant to let a disease into your country that you don't have an effective cure for.

So what vaccine is that? As far as I know none have been demonstrated to be effective and safe.

To put it simply it isn't ignorant to protect your communities from something as deadly as Ebola. By the way that doesn't mean that we stop helping people in Africa. What it means is that we do the simple things here to protect society until a better handle is had on the sickness. It is notable that the military has no problem at all quarantining its men in the fight against Ebola yet we can not seem to keep one stupid nurse under quarantine. The lack of leadership here comes from the president lacking the ability to actually lead on a sound quarantine policy.

You're right, there are psychopaths who focus only one thing, and they do often become CEOs. That's not the expectation though.

What ebola vaccine? Fox News and CNN probably don't mention this stuff because it calms the masses. http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/canadian-ebola-vaccine-to-be-used-in-largest-human-trial-1.2080277

Of course it hasn't been demonstrated to be effective and safe, but that's because it hasn't been demonstrated to be profitable until now.

Protecting your communities doesn't have to mean sealing ourselves off (as that's not effective anyway). We are absolutely protecting ourselves with CDC asymptomatic but exposed guidelines. It's working. Nobody got sick from our infected nurses who were out in the wild with mild fevers.

The only infections in the US were people who had insufficient protection while caring for Duncan, who was producing an amazing amount of infectious diarrhea.

• Reply 47 of 64
    In the Mavericks developer preview (DP) last year I was having frequent WiFi issues where my Mac Mini would drop the connection, then not let me reconnect again until I turned WiFi off/on. I filed a report on it, after a few weeks Apple sent notice saying basically "hey, we put a fix in this latest DP release, so it should be good now". And it was good, problem got solved 1-2 DP releases before Mavericks went public... so, no biggie.

Then I started having the exact same issue a few DP releases into the Yosemite developer preview cycle, and I saw others in the DP forums complaining about the same thing. "Oh, they know how to fix this and will have it sorted out again before it ships," I thought. But no, not this time. I still have faith, though, that they'll get this sorted in 10.10.1 (whenever that lands).
  • Reply 48 of 64
    I'm having trouble using Instant Hotspot on my Yosemite MacBook Pro. My iPhone hotspot shows up in the WiFi list, but usually can't be activated when I select it. Using the Instant Hotspot works great on my WiFi-only iPad Air.
  • Reply 49 of 64
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Wifi is still crappy with iOS 8.1 too. Stuff like this is what you should be focused on Tim, not gay rights.

WiFi on iOS 8.1 has fcked all of my iOS devices on every fking N-router that I tried. It's worse on devices older than 6/6+ and Air 2. I guess his gay right focus won't help my WiFi much.

• Reply 50 of 64
    elehcdnelehcdn Posts: 388member
    Quote:

Baloney! Do you not think Steve Jobs was not completely focused on Apple thought his life! How about George Eastman when Kodak was a successful company? There are many examples in real life where men built companies and organization through complete dedication to the development of those organizations. It is all about having a passion for something you have created.

Yet throughout history it has worked. Even in Africa today it is working. It is far more ignorant to let a disease into your country that you don't have an effective cure for.

So what vaccine is that? As far as I know none have been demonstrated to be effective and safe.

To put it simply it isn't ignorant to protect your communities from something as deadly as Ebola. By the way that doesn't mean that we stop helping people in Africa. What it means is that we do the simple things here to protect society until a better handle is had on the sickness. It is notable that the military has no problem at all quarantining its men in the fight against Ebola yet we can not seem to keep one stupid nurse under quarantine. The lack of leadership here comes from the president lacking the ability to actually lead on a sound quarantine policy.

Interesting that you bring up Jobs 100% devotion to Apple and then talk about Africa. Didn't Steve Jobs help to drive the Red campaign? With 100% of its money going to AIDs assistance in Africa? Didn't that divert his interest from Apple? Or how about becoming the CEO of Pixar? I guess that spending an interview speaking about your lifestyle occupies so much more time than actually running a 2nd company. And what about this distraction, http://www.thenational.ae/business/industry-insights/shipping/steve-jobs-final-project-an-apple-inspired-superyacht

• Reply 51 of 64
    elehcdnelehcdn Posts: 388member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Mark View Post

I'm having trouble using Instant Hotspot on my Yosemite MacBook Pro. My iPhone hotspot shows up in the WiFi list, but usually can't be activated when I select it. Using the Instant Hotspot works great on my WiFi-only iPad Air.

I have to think that all of this Yosemite/iOS/phone sharing is a large reason for all of these WiFi and Bluetooth issues. Interconnecting all of the devices over wireless in the background is still not fully fleshed out imo.

• Reply 52 of 64
    chickchick Posts: 35member
    The problem seems to be more on WP2A Enterprise WIFI connections as mine as we speak is dropping out and reconnecting constantly as it has been since I installed the public version of Yosemite. At home on the Airport Extreme all my Mac's and iPhones are ok. 

Prior the public release I was on the Developer preview version and this didn't have the issue.

All the so called fixes don't work for me as I suspect Apple need to push out a fix in a software update.

Those are the symptoms on my Mac Mini. It shows "Wi-Fi:Looking for Networks..." for about 2 seconds and then "Wi-Fi: On" for about 4 seconds in an endless repeat. While in the on state speed seems normal. Same is true on my MBP. I have no problem if connected by ethernet. I'm almost desperate enough to rig a loonnng cable to reach my Mac Mini.
  • Reply 53 of 64
    I don't think we should be so quick to write off people experiencing WiFi issues. Granted a number of people could be newbies issues with their environment, but I have seen a number of experienced users who have issues that persist across a re-install of Yosemite, and in different locations. These are power users who have spent quite a bit of time debugging these network issues, to no avail...

There is definitely some issue here that didn't exist in Mavericks, that obviously doesn't affect everyone, but does effect a number of people.

The few people that do seem to find a resolution, are resorting to all sorts of things that shouldn't matter like changing WiFi channel ranges, WiFi frequencies, IPv6 parameters, deleting profiles, etc.

Some people have issues while Bluetooth is running, some while time machine is running, some with IPv6 options. if you take the time to read through those forum posts, it really does go on and on...

Keeping my fingers crossed that 10.10.1 fixes some of this for people...
  • Reply 54 of 64
    cm477cm477 Posts: 99member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

Have you power recycled your cable/DSL modem (and router) recently? Can you run a speedtest between devices on your LAN and see if they are slow as well? I find my problems are usually related to network issues outside my LAN.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

I'll try this.

Actually it looks like my problem is different from the article.  Those people have no WiFi.  I just have slow Wifi.

This may also not be the same problem as in the article (though my iMac has disconnected once or twice with Yosemite), but I've had problems with intermittent slow internet/WiFi since Mavericks, whether with TWC or AT&T DSL (our only real options). Power cycling usually helped, but I could not pin the problem to the router (Airport Extreme Tower) or modem. Finally, I plugged both of them in an outlet timer set to go off at 3 am and back on at 3:01 am. It's a primitive intervention, but so far it seems to help. 

• Reply 55 of 64

I solved my dropping wi-fi by changing the settings on my wireless router.

Network authentication set to WPA2- PSK

WPA encryption to TKIP+AES

Now my wireless connection is rock solid with no dropouts on iPhones, mac air, mac mini and iMac.

• Reply 56 of 64
    noivadnoivad Posts: 186member
    My WiFi might not drop out but my Bluetooth headset always connects, then disconnects, so I have to power cycle the BT headset again to connect (on all audio sources). Also, AppleTV is dropping out as well whether it be just iTunes music or video.

Also, iTunes now freezes or stutters if there is a dialog or menu pulled down.

This is a new low for what was once a pretty bullet proof connection and playback system which is unacceptable.
  • Reply 57 of 64
    shsfshsf Posts: 302member

I don't know if it's the same problem but I 'd like to report that after updating (and it's strange because I didn't seem to happen with the GM) I too get dropped wifi.

It's not a matter of not being able to connect, the wifi shows full signal fine and dandy but every 5-6 hours, maybe 3-4 hours at times, certainly in a 12 hour time frame, wifi goes dead and I need to turn the wifi off and then back on again to get a connection. It works just fine immediately and then, you know, it cycles to the same problem. 

• Reply 58 of 64
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    I had to disable the 2.4GHz in my router to make it work. 5GHz seems to work ok.
  • Reply 59 of 64
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

The wifi on my 2011 Mac Mini, 2012 iMac, and all iOS devices in signature are fine for me.  Have the newest AC 3gb Time Capsule.

However- my Wifi on my 2014 Retina iMac is terribly slow (~100-200 kB/s on Downloads).  My 2010 iMac got ~2.1 MB/s on the same downloads.  When I disconnect Bluetooth- it jumps up as high as 1 MB/s.  Still half of what my old N iMac was.

Its very annoying to say the least.  Can we get a fix on this yet?

• Reply 60 of 64
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,372member

I'm seeing a few very annoying device syncing problems with Yosemite related to Wi-Fi or possibly the combination of Yosemite and iOS8. I used to be able to sync with any of my iOS devices via Wi-Fi before installing Yosemite. Now this method of synching is very unreliable with abysmal performance. The inventory of apps that are on my Wi-Fi connected devices show up with no icon or the generic icon in iTunes. I've submitted several bug reports to Apple over the past few weeks about this but so far it's still SNAFU city for iTunes 12 and Yosemite.

I'm usually very gung-ho on new versions of Apple software but Yosemite has been a major disappointment, especially with iTunes. About once a day iTunes totally loses its trust relationship with all of my iDevices and I have to go to each and every device and click again on the "Trust this computer" dialog. If I shut down iTunes for more than a few minutes when I try to bring it up again I get the bouncing iTunes dock icon for a couple of minutes and when it finally comes up - no devices! The only way to get them back is to reboot. Does this kind of having to reboot daily behavior sound familiar to you other ex-Windows users? With previous versions of OS X I don't believe I ever rebooted short of a power failure and graceful shutdown on UPS.

Since I'm a heavy iTunes user its unreliability, UX degradation, poor performance, and disruption to my normal computing routine has soured my feelings about Yosemite in general. The strangest thing is that I have been using the Yosemite and iOS8 beta releases for several months and these major syncing problems seemed to have shown up later in the beta cycle and be accentuated with the GM and release version. Perhaps there is something related to security that is causing these Windows-ish behaviors to rear their ugly head?

Whatever the case, what was once a smooth and reliable OS has turned into a finicky monster that demands my constant attention. Yeah, the new features like Continuity are a novelty that I may eventually find a use for, but for the most part Yosemite has not been an upgrade at all. I've been using it for several months and I honestly can't say I could name a single feature that would compel me to say "I don't know how I got along without having such & such a feature." 

I think Apple was at the same place prior to Yosemite that Microsoft was at prior to Windows 8. The base OS was solid and the core productivity features were refined through usage to deliver consistent value. The big question becomes "how do we make it even better and attract new users?" Fortunately for us Apple's answer was far less radical than Microsoft's so we didn't end up with an abomination like Windows 8 and Metro. Unfortunately that didn't stop Apple from "fixing" a few things that were not broken and turd polishing things like iTunes. In doing so they've destabilized the core (if I have to reboot daily - they've messed up the core). iTunes 12 is simply a mess, not a Vista mess and not a Metro mess, but still it's a mess. Add Wi-Fi unreliability to the list as well.

Hey, this is simply my opinion based on my experience over the past few months but especially since Yosemite and iOS8 went to release. If there are other folks out there who have found that a particular new feature of Yosemite has been transformative or life changing I'd like to hear about it. I'm talking real world, practical, and value adding transformation and not trying to impress your coworkers and neighbors with gee-wiz features that "do good demo" but get relegated to the back closet after a few days or weeks. Maybe it's time that Apple doesn't feel compelled to release a new OS version once a year just to make a big splash. Maybe release a new OS version when they actually have a spectacularly useful new feature and functionality to deliver, or something that transforms how I get my job done. The current release cycles are taking on the tone and behavior of "marketing theatre" that occur on a set schedule just because "it's the season" for new releases.