'Historical implications' made Apple Watch more difficult to design than original iPhone, Jony Ive s

Comments

• Reply 61 of 136

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

I'm emphatically underwhelmed by the prospect of owning this product... ...I wish Apple luck with it but I just don't see a runaway hit.

Channeling your inner John Dvorak, are you?

• Reply 62 of 136
    I love that he's sporting some Giants Orange socks!
  • Reply 63 of 136
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    I see a lot of changes in those watch faces since the introduction. Nice.
  • Reply 64 of 136
    My wife fricken hates it when I miss a message or call from her because my phone is in the other room or not on my person for whatever reason. That is why I know I will have one by generation two im gonna guess....
  • Reply 65 of 136
    inkling wrote: »
    Historical implications? I suspect Jony needs to take a modesty pill. This is not a vaccine for Ebola, a cure for cancer, or faster-than-light travel.

It's just a watch.

He means watches aren't a new thing; they have a history which has implications for any future watches created.
  • Reply 66 of 136
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post

Quote:

Channeling your inner John Dvorak, are you?

C'mon, I can be an Apple fan without loving everything they do. Hope I'm wrong about the watch but I honestly don't think much of it.

• Reply 67 of 136
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,033member
    Some folks see the iWatch features as uninteresting. I think that developers will come up with very useful ways of putting the sensors to work. When the iPhone app store came out, many people wondered how you could play games without a joystick or buttons. Clearly, that problem has been solved. Did anyone foresee that iPhone sensors could function as a sleep monitor? (see the Sleep Cycle app) iWatch gives us new sensors in new places - there will be interesting developments.

The Microsoft Band is more limited but I still find it appealing. It probably does what I want and I like the look of it and the band. Kudos to Microsoft. (They better get more stuff right - can anyone imagine that there will actually be a Windows 20? or an Office 2020? I can't and I use Windows and Office daily. )

I haven't worn a watch in probably 20 years. Getting used to wearing a watch is the biggest obstacle for me to enjoy a smart watch. Having to charge every day - can't say I am looking forward to that.
  • Reply 68 of 136
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,033member
    Some folks see the iWatch features as uninteresting. I think that developers will come up with very useful ways of putting the sensors to work. When the iPhone app store came out, many people wondered how you could play games without a joystick or buttons. Clearly, that problem has been solved. Did anyone foresee that iPhone sensors could function as a sleep monitor? (see the Sleep Cycle app) iWatch gives us new sensors in new places - there will be interesting developments.

The Microsoft Band is more limited but I still find it appealing. It probably does what I want and I like the look of it and the band. Kudos to Microsoft. (They better get more stuff right - can anyone imagine that there will actually be a Windows 20? or an Office 2020? I can't and I use Windows and Office daily. )

I haven't worn a watch in probably 20 years. Getting used to wearing a watch is the biggest obstacle for me to enjoy a smart watch. Having to charge every day - can't say I am looking forward to that.
  • Reply 69 of 136
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

Historical implications? I suspect Jony needs to take a modesty pill. This is not a vaccine for Ebola, a cure for cancer, or faster-than-light travel.

It's just a watch.

He means watches aren't a new thing; they have a history which has implications for any future watches created.

Well, yes, but so did phones...

before and including the portable family.

• Reply 70 of 136
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CMoebius View Post

Unfortunately, I think many people will buy this just because it's an Apple product and they want to show off the latest sparkle to their friends.

As a (long-time) AAPL investor, I'm ok with that.  But I also expect that just like the iPod and iPad, we'll be pleasantly surprised about the product itself.

• Reply 71 of 136
    rptrpt Posts: 175member

It is certainly going to be exiting to see how this watch will sell! When I first heard that Apple was making a phone, my response was a big surprise, because this was a fairly mature market, and I didn't believe it was possible to take on the big entrenched manufacturers who owned that market...

I won't be getting the iPhone though, I will stick to my expensive Swiss watch  with its beautiful mechanical drive. It is everything a watch could be, including 15 000 ft waterproof, it doesn't give very accurate time, but who cares, I alway carry my iPhone!

However my sons never use a watch, it will be interesting too see if that changes, and if it does, this will be huge!

• Reply 72 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RPT View Post

It is certainly going to be exiting to see how this watch will sell! When I first heard that Apple was making a phone, my response was a big surprise, because this was a fairly mature market, and I didn't believe it was possible to take on the big entrenched manufacturers who owned that market...

I won't be getting the iPhone though, I will stick to my expensive Swiss watch  with its beautiful mechanical drive. It is everything a watch could be, including 15 000 ft waterproof, it doesn't give very accurate time, but who cares, I alway carry my iPhone!

However my sons never use a watch, it will be interesting too see if that changes, and if it does, this will be huge!

When I heard that Apple was making a phone I was happy as hell... I knew it would be an iMac in your pocket [that could also make calls]. A dream that I think Steve had ever since he brought out the Mac. I just knew it would be a success.

The watch... I think it will have very slow beginnings.

• Reply 73 of 136
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CMoebius View Post

I am big an Apple fanboy as they come, but, for the first time for an Apple product, I do not feel the desire to purchase an Apple Watch. I have a Fitbit that I use to track my fitness (or lack thereof) and it gets bumped and tugged and crushed almost daily. I am planning on picking up the $250 Fitbit Surge when it is available early next year, $100 less than the lowest end Apple Watch. I just don't see the point in spending, at minimum, $350 for something that will be abused. I also am not a big fan of the UI, although I have obviously not played with one yet.

Unfortunately, I think many people will buy this just because it's an Apple product and they want to show off the latest sparkle to their friends.

There is a chasm of difference between "thinking" and "looking." You're doing way too much of the former which may very well color the latter. Silly.

• Reply 74 of 136
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gregquinn View Post

Pink socks..?

Maybe he's a Boston fan.  Those don't look pink on my display.

• Reply 75 of 136
    Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

When I heard that Apple was making a phone I was happy as hell... I knew it would be an iMac in your pocket [that could also make calls]. A dream that I think Steve had ever since he brought out the Mac. I just knew it would be a success.

Get out or your muck of thinking! This will be yet another game changer, and its effects will be profound and FAST!

• Reply 76 of 136
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

Get out or your muck of thinking! This will be yet another game changer, and its effects will be profound and FAST!

We'll see.

• Reply 77 of 136
    rptrpt Posts: 175member
    Quote:

When I got my first Mac, a very long time from now, I was absolutely certain this would be the future. But there was one thing I didn't understand, being (at that time) fluent in Unix; why would anybody build an operating system all the way from the bottom instead of making a shell to Unix?

• Reply 78 of 136
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

We'll see.

Indeed.

Time will tell.

• Reply 79 of 136
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Cross platform is the new buzz word just like everything is cloud this, cloud that. Anybody that knows Apple should know their MO is not big data. Now maybe it should be but my guess is Apple is happy to let those that are best at it play in that space. In fact I wouldn't mind seeing Apple partner with Microsoft one day like they are with IBM. Microsoft is better at cloud than Apple is but Apple is better at consumer hardware and user experience. Mesh the two together and you'd have Google and Samsung quaking in their boots.

Apple would sooner hire up like they're doing in health.  Microsoft is good at cloud, but its not a mystery how to do it well.  It will simply take a determination on the part of Apple to play more deeply in that space.  As for big data analytics, Apple can acquire that via any number of existing companies and start-ups. 

• Reply 80 of 136
    Fitbit shills masquerading as concerned Apple fanboys. [I]"I'm a big Apple fanboy but honestly, my new fitbit is sooooo awesome you guys. Let me tell about all its features..."[/I]

Please.