FBI director continues crusade against Apple's encryption of iPhone data

14567810»

Comments

• Reply 181 of 188
    judasjudas Posts: 14member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

The law and the government exist in service to the American people, not the other way around.

If you are white and own property or wealth then yes.

• Reply 182 of 188
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    paul94544 wrote: »
    I told [my liberal friends] that Obama (who after all is simply a manager not a leader)  would be even worse than Bush.

1) Once I read a PoV being stated as Rep v Dem or conservative v liberal it's hard to see jow you're going to make a fair and balanced comment.

2) Worse president than Bush? I think ACA is a huge plus for Obama.
  • Reply 183 of 188
    dunks wrote: »
    Cloud services do not exist for the purpose of convenient data fishing expeditions.

If they want access to personal data they should obtain a court order that demands the user hand over their passwords, like they used to before the internet.

If he believes he is entitled to have back-end access without the user ever being notified then I wholeheartedly disagree.

We need to be more proactive rather than reactive in maintaining social order. Denormalising gun ownership would be a good start. Reaffirming the secular nature of society by exposing those who espouse or leverage divisive religious beliefs for personal or political gain would be another good move.

Totally off topic; but since you went there, I didn't notice you saying anything about denormalizing gun ownership by the state, so the effect of what you said amounts to a nigh religious faith in the state, which makes your comment about secular society all the more ironic. A far better option would be to void all laws that violate self ownership, especially so-called victimless crimes. The majority of those imprisoned are in for nonviolent drug offences, which violate constitutional limits (note that the constitution had to be amended for prohibition on alcohol but never was amended for prohibition of anything else).
  • Reply 184 of 188
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Bumping this thread...

Funny (as in, ironic) quote from the head of the Eff Bee Eye:

FBI Director to citizens: Let us spy on you | Ars Technica

Quote:

“Those charged with protecting our people aren’t always able to access the evidence we need to prosecute crime and prevent terrorism even with lawful authority,” Comey said in the published speech. “We have the legal authority to intercept and access communications and information pursuant to court order, but we often lack the technical ability to do so.”

Basically admits to doing it without lawful authority.

• Reply 185 of 188
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Okay so this is kind of big. A US District Judge has ruled that while you can't be required to reveal your pass-code to unlock your phone your fingerprint doesn't have the same protection. It's fair game and refusing to provide a fingerprint for unlocking may land you in jail. So what's the difference, why is a pass-code secure from law enforcement but TouchID won't be? The Judge opined that collecting a fingerprint is akin to taking a DNA or handwriting sample while revealing a pass-code is offering personal knowledge.

Huh.
  • Reply 186 of 188
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Okay so this is kind of big. A US District Judge has ruled that while you can't be required to reveal your pass-code to unlock your phone your fingerprint doesn't have the same protection.

Just say you don’t have TouchID enabled. Problem solved. :p

It's fair game and refusing to provide a fingerprint for unlocking may land you in jail.

Good luck with that.

The Judge opined that collecting a fingerprint is akin to taking a DNA or handwriting sample while revealing a pass-code is offering personal knowledge. Huh.

The judge needs disbarred.

• Reply 187 of 188
    Easy to download , works on any Apple device . Bypass icloud activation lock tool from http://www.bypassicloudactivationlock.net/
  • Reply 188 of 188

Easy to download , works on any Apple device . Bypass icloud activation lock tool from http://www.bypassicloudactivationlock.net/