'Historical implications' made Apple Watch more difficult to design than original iPhone, Jony Ive s

Comments

• Reply 81 of 136
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Quote:

Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

Well, yes, but so did phones...

before and including the portable family.

Not as fashion accessories.  Watches represent a very personal item as well as the importance throughout history of an accurate timepiece; something we take for granted these days.

• Reply 82 of 136
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Why isn't he wearing one?
  • Reply 83 of 136
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MazeCookie View Post

Definitely, this is first gen. They have deliberately excluded some interesting sensors and features. It will be interesting to see how the health aspect evolves over time for the Apple Watch.

I definitely want to get one eventually. I just can't justify the cost at the moment. The only thing that really interests me is Apple Pay. I'm not a very active guy but I like to keep tabs on my health. I can't justify spending $350 minimum on a heart rate monitor. Once it gets more sensors it will grab my attention more. I'll also have plenty of money saved for one by then :-)

• Reply 84 of 136
    Historical implications? Barf.
    An Apple TV? - maybe.
    A digital wristwatch? Puhleez.
  • Reply 85 of 136
    Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

As a (long-time) AAPL investor, I'm ok with that.  But I also expect that just like the iPod and iPad, we'll be pleasantly surprised about the product itself.

Also I'm interested to see what developers do with it. If they can add worthy add-ons using WatchKit to their iPhone apps I'll reconsider my decision not to buy one for now.

• Reply 86 of 136
    On a happier note, I'm not proud to say that I've bought a 128GB, space grey wifi iPad Air 2 with red Smart Cover. Haven't unboxed it yet, but I hope to see some kind of improvement over my trusty iPad 2.

Congrats. Did you get wifi or cellular this time? I'm thinking of getting the same but wifi only this time as it's so much faster.

Funny how if you don't like one Apple product you're deemed a troll here- so very simpleminded- or is it immature or both?
  • Reply 87 of 136
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

It just goes to show that tech is done for the foreseeable future. It's time to get used to the plateau, folks.

640K is all you'll ever need.

• Reply 88 of 136
    pazuzu wrote: »
    Why isn't he wearing one?

If he was, you'd declare it obvious promotion, and therefore a meaningless gesture.
  • Reply 89 of 136
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member
    Quote:

What a waste of time the Apple Watch is.

I suppose it gives Ive something to do. Better than twiddling his thumbs.

It just goes to show that tech is done for the foreseeable future. It's time to get used to the plateau, folks.

Time will tell.

Some of us didn't see the iPhone as that big of a deal. "I mean, typing on a screen? My current phone works just fine."

Who knows, but the watch won't gain traction for a couple of years. There has to also be the killer apps that make it  indispensable. And it has to be iPhone-independent. And it needs to last longer than a day on a battery.

Suppose most people will keep their $25 watches that do what they do for what they want them to do and last for several years on the same battery.

The first Apple laptop with a trackpad was a game-changer. And the iMac and iPod, then the iPhone. 

Watch?

• Reply 90 of 136
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    iOS closed and jailed? Nope!
  • Reply 91 of 136
    If he was, you'd declare it obvious promotion, and therefore a meaningless gesture.

No I wouldn't but thank you for conjuring up such a stoopid scenario.
    Happy Halloween.
  • Reply 92 of 136
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Historical implications? Barf.

An Apple TV? - maybe.

A digital wristwatch? Puhleez.

Perhaps learn to read and comprehend things before posting?

• Reply 93 of 136
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Quote:

On a happier note, I'm not proud to say that I've bought a 128GB, space grey wifi iPad Air 2 with red Smart Cover. Haven't unboxed it yet, but I hope to see some kind of improvement over my trusty iPad 2.

Congrats. Did you get wifi or cellular this time? I'm thinking of getting the same but wifi only this time as it's so much faster.

Funny how if you don't like one Apple product you're deemed a troll here- so very simpleminded- or is it immature or both?

Wifi only. My iPad 2 was cellular, but I hardly needed it because I could tether my iPhone.

• Reply 94 of 136
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

$350 is substantial, and money is an object for me. But I'll buy 2 when they become available. Not because I crave the latest thing from Apple; but because I see it as a useful tool in my life.

Uh, what?  I'm missing the logic of getting two of them.

• Reply 95 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

I plan to get an ? Watch. Wear it virtually every waking hour. Strapped on the opposite wrist carrying my classic Movado or Rolex's (depending on the day and occasion).

I wear a watch every day, all day and even I think wearing a watch and an Apple Watch at the same time would be weird.  Which one would go on your "normal" wrist and which would go on on your formerly unencumbered wrist?  I'm guessing the Rolex gets to stay wear it belongs and the Apple gets the new wrist?

• Reply 96 of 136
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

I wonder sometimes if maybe they're trying to to make it do too much. Maybe trying to do what a fitness band does well, and what a fine timepiece does well will compromise both functions. I am buying one anyway, as cheap a setup as I can get. I'm a guy with a small wrist so will go for the small sport series with whatever band comes with. Just want to find out for myself whether this is (or will become) the next leap forward in personal tech.

Maybe too much, but I wouldn't complain. I think it will set standard for the rest of wearable devices. The only complaint now is battery life. can it last 2-3 days/charge? 

I don't compare Apple Watch with other smart watch, but with traditional Chronographic Seiko Kinetics or Citizen EcoDrive which is in the same price range, and I would say Apple Watch blow these out of the water by design, usability and functionality.

• Reply 97 of 136
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gregquinn View Post

Pink socks..?

Quote:

Originally Posted by baconstang View Post

I love that he's sporting some Giants Orange socks!

I believe the color word you're both looking for is "red."  (I just discovered that the crayon box in the color picker was hit with the "flat" stick in Yosemite; it's not an improvement.)

• Reply 98 of 136
    Quote:

I wear a watch every day, all day and even I think wearing a watch and an Apple Watch at the same time would be weird.  Which one would go on your "normal" wrist and which would go on on your formerly unencumbered wrist?  I'm guessing the Rolex gets to stay wear it belongs and the Apple gets the new wrist?

Rolex is for the party where you will show it off. It's a jewelry. Apple Watch is a functional piece of modern microcomputer on the wrist which is capable to tell time too...precisely. 

• Reply 99 of 136
    Quote:

I believe the color word you're both looking for is "red."  (I just discovered that the crayon box in the color picker was hit with the "flat" stick in Yosemite; it's not an improvement.)

Pink's for breast cancer month. Please respect that.

• Reply 100 of 136
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppeX View Post

iOS closed and jailed? Nope!

That's why I feel confident to put my credit/debit cards in there. Otherwise, like Android open source, I woudn't.