Grocery chain Meijer continues accepting Apple Pay despite CurrentC support

Comments

• Reply 41 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

My question is why can't Apple simply add the retailer's loyalty cards as another option for an Apple Pay purchase? Just piggyback the loyalty card onto the credit card when one is in a store where the customer has such a card already? Customers would like it and the retailers would get their oh-so-valuable marketing information.

Walgreens already does this. I have read of some individuals who pull up their loyalty card in Passbook when they are at the register, the clerk scans it, scans the items and then they pay with Apple Pay after triggering their phone with the NFC terminal. IIRC total time they said was around 10-20 seconds for the whole checkout process.

• Reply 42 of 61
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

Sorry to rain on your parade pal but it's already in the App Store

How is this raining on my parade? This is great news!

• Reply 43 of 61
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmas View Post

Does anyone know if Google Wallet or ApplePay have any plans to support debit cards?

ApplePay already supports debit cards, as long as the card servicer is EVM and the bank agrees.

• Reply 44 of 61
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

When the CurrentC app is submitted for App Store approval Apple should deny it.

Why? Apple has the better technology - they have nothing to fear from CurrentC. Plus it sets a bad precedent for acceptance to the AppStore, i.e., Apple doesn't typically deny products that are in competition with their offerings (like Numbers/Pages/Keynote) and they don't want to send that message now. Plus they have the money, desire, and backing of EVM to continue pursuing ApplePay. 

Let people run CurrentC on iOS and then when CurrentC has the inevitable data breach, iOS users can switch over. Limiting CurrentC just drives hardware customers away from the platform if they want to use electronic payments.

• Reply 45 of 61
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill9999 View Post

You can write to CVS, but a more effective response in my opinion is to call the number on your ExtraCare card and tell CVS to cancel your card because they won't accept ApplePay. If enough people do this, they will definitely notice. Since they're planning to use CurrentC technology to track customers's buying habits, this seems a particularly appropriate response.

In my reading of related articles, it seems that CurrentC may be using the QR system that CVS has been using as part of their customer loyalty system. It would also be interesting to see if CVS was the partner pushing for QR as a way to get CurrentC up and running quicker since they already have it deployed to their stores.

• Reply 46 of 61
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheUnfetteredMind View Post

So it will be interesting if MCX takes the position that Meijer's continuing to take ApplePay and Google Wallet payments to mean that they are leaving MCX.

There is speculation that Meijer is taking advantage of a loophole that the contract allows for companies to maintain technology that they had implemented prior to joining MCX. Since Meijer has been taking NFC payments for 5 years, they appear to be covered under a grandfathering clause.

• Reply 47 of 61
    elehcdnelehcdn Posts: 388member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Entropys View Post

I predict that eventually MCX is going to have to change from QR code to NFC. Then there would be no reason not to accept systems like Apple Pay, in fact they could set up a deal with Apple that includes a loyalty card system and does not involve the credit card companies.

But in the meantime they are in for a great big bag of hurt.

The CEO has already stated that there are plans sometime in the future. And in the next year, EVM is going to require chip+PIN for all credit cards so if MCX retailers want to continue to be able to accept credit cards, they will need to update their terminals. In some ways, you have to wonder if the stand that MCX is taking is to try to get enough power to push back on EVM to kill or slow down on this implementation (which of course, just delays improvements in transactional security.)

• Reply 48 of 61

Good points. I just downloaded CurrentC because i have an iPhone 5S and can't use Apple Pay, but I'd like the option of having a credit card in my phone in case I don't have my wallet or don't want to otherwise bring it.

Here's the question ... other than the stores in the MCX consortium, will CurrentC work with any compatible pay terminal? Starbucks has this kind of POST for instance -- would CurrentC work there?

• Reply 49 of 61
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,594member
    mac_128 wrote: »
    Good points. I just downloaded CurrentC because i have an iPhone 5S and can't use Apple Pay, but I'd like the option of having a credit card in my phone in case I don't have my wallet or don't want to otherwise bring it.

Here's the question ... other than the stores in the MCX consortium, will CurrentC work with any compatible pay terminal? Starbucks has this kind of POST for instance -- would CurrentC work there?

It probably isn't the answer you want but Google Wallet for iOS would cover the same retailers as Apple Pay. I'd ignore the negative ratings on it for the obvious reason it has Google in the title and will automatically get negative reviews from some who don't even know what it is. Worst case you try it and don't care for it. Uninstall always works.
  • Reply 50 of 61
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Why would it work with any other terminal - CurrentC has already said that it is protecting its consortium. It has already said that it expects exclusivity from its partners. Any other company wanting to implement CurrentC is going to have to dump any other contactless system they already have implemented.

• Reply 51 of 61
    elehcdn wrote: »
    The CEO has already stated that there are plans sometime in the future. And in the next year, EVM is going to require chip+PIN for all credit cards so if MCX retailers want to continue to be able to accept credit cards, they will need to update their terminals. In some ways, you have to wonder if the stand that MCX is taking is to try to get enough power to push back on EVM to kill or slow down on this implementation (which of course, just delays improvements in transactional security.)

I mentioned this in passing a few days ago so for those that missed it:

Mastercard in partnership with Zwype has already developed and put to use in Europe a credit card with, get this, an embedded fingerprint reader. :err: While version one doesn't swipe in all CC readers V2 coming in a few months does according to their press release. It might be a good option for our English friends who don't yet have access to Apple Pay.

[VIDEO]

http://www.forbes.com/sites/amitchowdhry/2014/10/18/mastercard-zwipe-fingerprint-sensor-credit-cards/
  • Reply 52 of 61
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I mentioned this in passing a few days ago so for those that missed it:

Mastercard in partnership with Zwype has already developed and put to use in Europe a credit card with, get this, an embedded fingerprint reader. image While version one doesn't swipe in all CC readers V2 coming in a few months does according to their press release. It might be a good option for our English friends who don't yet have access to Apple Pay.

If retailers are already complaining about needing to implement new more expensive hardware, how much more will it cost if the NFC station has to charge the card,

" A battery will not be needed in future versions of the Zwipe MasterCard because it will havest energy from the payment terminals."

• Reply 53 of 61
    If retailers are already complaining about needing to implement new more expensive hardware, how much more will it cost if the NFC station has to charge the card,

" A battery will not be needed in future versions of the Zwipe MasterCard because it will havest energy from the payment terminals."
    No idea. I'll be surprised if it's even a measurable use of power. In any event I thought it was a pretty interesting development, particularly for those that don't own or don't always carry a smartphone at all times. A fingerprint reader embedded in a credit card is pretty darn impressive.
  • Reply 54 of 61
    Why would it work with any other terminal - CurrentC has already said that it is protecting its consortium. It has already said that it expects exclusivity from its partners. Any other company wanting to implement CurrentC is going to have to dump any other contactless system they already have implemented.
    Of course that makes sense. Sorry, not inking that through. So that means they don't take Google Wallet either then?
  • Reply 55 of 61
    mac_128 wrote: »
    Of course that makes sense. Sorry, not inking that through. So that means they don't take Google Wallet either then?
    Correct
  • Reply 56 of 61
    gatorguy wrote: »
    It probably isn't the answer you want but Google Wallet for iOS would cover the same retailers as Apple Pay. I'd ignore the negative ratings on it for the obvious reason it has Google in the title and will automatically get negative reviews from some who don't even know what it is. Worst case you try it and don't care for it. Uninstall always works.
    Nah that's fine too. Thanks for suggesting it. I have a credit card with US bank that doesn't support Apple Pay anyway, which I primarily use for online transactions as it is, tied to a minimum balance bank account. It's amazing the US bank branch I use had never heard of Apple Pay as of last week, while the Wells Fargo across the street is offering $50 to encourage customers to use it!

So if Google or CurrentC get hacked, I'm not concerned either way. I just want to be able to stop carrying my credit card everywhere I go. Now if only Homeland Security would get on an iPhone secure US Passport alternative!

But here's a question ... Does ApplePay need a connection to the Internet, or does it talk to your bank via the NFC terminal conducting the transaction? I've been in some stores where I don't get a signal of any kind. Likewise for Google Wallet and CurrentC?
  • Reply 57 of 61
    gatorguy wrote: »
    It probably isn't the answer you want but Google Wallet for iOS would cover the same retailers as Apple Pay.
    So I downloaded Google Wallet -- are they kidding with that? So it works like PayPal? You have to carry a balance in a Google Accunt in order to use it without fees?

They seriously want to charge you a minimum of $.30 per credit card transactions for instant transfers. Bank transfers are free but take two days!?!

That's ridiculous. So does CurrentC a work the same way? Do they charge consumers a fee per credit card transaction!?!

Wow. NOW I finally understand.

If that weren't enough, I just realized, Google Wallet requires NFC to make payments, just like ApplePay. So it doesn't help me with my iPhone 5S anyway. But I assume you meant I could use it in locations that didn't support ApplePay.

I requested to be part of the Current C beta, but I'll have to wait and see if they invite me. Haha.
  • Reply 58 of 61
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajmas View Post

Does anyone know if Google Wallet or ApplePay have any plans to support debit cards?

I'm already using my debit card with it. 

• Reply 59 of 61
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:

Did you know CurrentC was just hacked? It's your money but I guess you don't mind giving people direct access to your bank account. Did someone explain to you that if fraudulent transactions are made with your debit card you have limited recourse since you gave them direct ACH Debit access to your account.

• Reply 60 of 61
    Quote:

Nah that's fine too. Thanks for suggesting it. I have a credit card with US bank that doesn't support Apple Pay anyway, which I primarily use for online transactions as it is, tied to a minimum balance bank account. It's amazing the US bank branch I use had never heard of Apple Pay as of last week, while the Wells Fargo across the street is offering $50 to encourage customers to use it!

Check again today ... US Bank is now supporting ApplePay. I just added a card today.