'Historical implications' made Apple Watch more difficult to design than original iPhone, Jony Ive s

Comments

• Reply 101 of 136
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

If he was, you'd declare it obvious promotion, and therefore a meaningless gesture.

Hint for you: What is color for Breast Cancer Awareness in Oct?

• Reply 102 of 136
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    malax wrote: »

I believe the color word you're both looking for is "red."  (I just discovered that the crayon box in the color picker was hit with the "flat" stick in Yosemite; it's not an improvement.)

You people and your colo(u)rs.

http://colorvisiontesting.com/what colorblind people see.htm
  • Reply 103 of 136
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Okay I found this photo on Instagram and it's kind of freaking me out.

[IMG]http://i62.tinypic.com/bjfu2u.jpg[/IMG]
  • Reply 104 of 136
    fallenjt wrote: »
    Hint for you: What is color for Breast Cancer Awareness in Oct?

I think you meant to reply to someone else. Re-read what I was responding to.
  • Reply 105 of 136
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by malax View Post

I wear a watch every day, all day and even I think wearing a watch and an Apple Watch at the same time would be weird.  Which one would go on your "normal" wrist and which would go on on your formerly unencumbered wrist?  I'm guessing the Rolex gets to stay wear it belongs and the Apple gets the new wrist?

Being right handed, the classics stay on the left wrist. 

Truth is, I don't necessarily see the ? Watch's primary use as a time piece. But more so as an extension of my iPhone, as well as my iPad and even my Macs. Right now, I have notifications re Mail, Messages, Calendar, etc., as well as monitoring external data sources. Most repeating on each of the above. Problem being, which do I pick up first.

Soon, with the ? Watch, I plan to be able after a tap and a glance of my wrist, pick up (or even reach into my pocket for) the most appropriate device, or none at all. And nobody else has to know otherwise.

NOTE: I do foresee a problem with a few 'friends' of mine. They'll want to see ? Watch/Pay in action after lunch/dinner.

• Reply 106 of 136
    undefined
  • Reply 107 of 136
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member

BTW, are my eyes deceiving me or is Katt Williams wearing an Apple Watch in this clip? 

http://www.tmz.com/2014/10/30/katt-williams-suge-knight-arrested-paparazzi-camera-video/

• Reply 108 of 136

For a person who wants to be dead, you sure have a lot of nothing to say.

• Reply 109 of 136
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post

Apple would sooner hire up like they're doing in health.  Microsoft is good at cloud, but its not a mystery how to do it well.  It will simply take a determination on the part of Apple to play more deeply in that space.  As for big data analytics, Apple can acquire that via any number of existing companies and start-ups. 

IBM, from their own commercials ;-), are one of the top firm in big data and analytics, so maybe that's a part them partering with IBM.

• Reply 110 of 136
    Originally Posted by deepriver View Post

For a person who wants to be dead, you sure have a lot of nothing to say.

I’ll make an assumption here and say that at least I’m aware of how pathetic I am.

Also,

• Reply 111 of 136
    mj web wrote: »
    BTW, are my eyes deceiving me or is Katt Williams wearing an Apple Watch in this clip? 
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">http://www.tmz.com/2014/10/30/katt-williams-suge-knight-arrested-paparazzi-camera-video/</span>

Don't think so. ?Watch is more curved whereas this very much squared off.
  • Reply 112 of 136
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    I’ll make an assumption here and say that at least I’m aware of how pathetic I am.

Self awareness is the first step. There's hope for you yet. ;)
  • Reply 113 of 136
    Apple would sooner hire up like they're doing in health.  Microsoft is good at cloud, but its not a mystery how to do it well.  It will simply take a determination on the part of Apple to play more deeply in that space.  As for big data analytics, Apple can acquire that via any number of existing companies and start-ups. 
    Maybe Apple will do more with IBM. I see no evidence that they want to get into big data themselves.
  • Reply 114 of 136
    rogifan wrote: »
    Nike's CEO made some interesting comments that seemed to indicate they were working with Apple in the wearables space. Two of Apple's recent hires - Ben Shaffer (who and I believe works under Jony Ive now) and Jay Blankin (narrated the health video at the September keynote) both came from Nike. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple and Nike partner on some sort of fitness wearable. Bottom line, I don't think ?Watch is Apple's be all end all to the wearable space. In the ?Watch launch video Jony Ive called it a "beginning".
    They will come out with a simplified/more affordable Apple Band within two years. The Apple Band will have no screen and batterylife measured in weeks. If you can't afford an Apple Watch, you can get many of the benefits for only $99.
    If you have an Apple Watch, you can get an Apple Band and continuously capture sleep data while you charge your Apple Watch.
    Did I mention they are working on a Bluetooth headset that will also capture health data from your ear.
  • Reply 115 of 136
    rogifan wrote: »
    Okay I found this photo on Instagram and it's kind of freaking me out.

bjfu2u.jpg

Slowly raises pinky to corner of mouth.
  • Reply 116 of 136
    malax wrote: »
    Uh, what?  I'm missing the logic of getting two of them.
    Fault tolerance, redundancy.
  • Reply 117 of 136
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Fault tolerance, redundancy.

I read that quickly without my glasses and I thought it said flatulence.

• Reply 118 of 136
    They will come out with a simplified/more affordable Apple Band within two years. The Apple Band will have no screen and batterylife measured in weeks. If you can't afford an Apple Watch, you can get many of the benefits for only $99.
    If you have an Apple Watch, you can get an Apple Band and continuously capture sleep data while you charge your Apple Watch.
    Did I mention they are working on a Bluetooth headset that will also capture health data from your ear.

Like how the iPod nano and shuffle came out after the iPod?
  • Reply 119 of 136
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member

Most people that are negative on the Apple Watch (some posters on this forum, many bloggers, everyone at CNET, etc) are doing so reflexively it seems - not offering any insight as to why they think it will not take off, other than saying it is stupid, Apple is stupid, or that no one wears a watch anymore.  There are some which provide insight as to why they don't like it, or the category will fail, but that is the extreme minority.  And of course for a product that none have yet even used.

I prefer to look at why it might be successful, what it can offer, and debate if this category will truly take off.  What I assume Apple has done here is not simply make a new gadget for the sake of "gotta bring out something new", but rather investigate what can a computer device on the wrist accomplish.  What can it offer that our phone supercomputers cannot (or not as well).  I am sure Apple has some surprises in store for the actual launch (they revealed only a little at the keynote), but they have already provided some guideposts.

A wearable device on our wrist can offer a number of benefits that a phone in your pocket or purse (or man bag:) does not:

- Subtle notifications (haptic get your attention, turn left, you forgot your phone)

- At-a-glance information (messages, time, weather, stocks)

- A different type of intimate connection (taps, quick draw, and the heart beat for whenever couples end up with it)

- Health sensors (starting with heartbeat and motion, but expect more in future versions)

- Extremely convenient secure applications (once you put it on, type in PIN or use TouchID on iPhone, and now ?Watch is secure until taken off). 

- Very portable BT iPod

From those broad areas will come thousands of applications over times, and I am sure hundreds of useful ones at launch.  That is why a device like this needs to be broad, so that its usefulness can appeal to a wide audience.  I personally believe that the extremely secure applications (?Pay, secure access, etc, all without even needing TouchID or PIN at time of use), and health sensors, offer the most interesting use cases.

Communication is extremely valuable in our society - look at the value of the mobile device industry, telecommunications, messaging apps.  These industries are worth many times over what entertainment is.  Apple has deliberately spelled out some new communication modes, which are indeed "more intimate".  The tap, but also the drawing app.  I don't know the reaction in Asian cultures, but for languages with characters, and when the order of how the characters are written matters, this may be big.  The app doesn't just communicate the graphic when done, but as it is drawn.  That is done with purpose.  Way too early to say with certainty, but I can see these communication modes having a huge impact over time.

As you can guess, I myself believe that this will be a big product category, and Apple will take the early lead.  It will take a few years to spread, and a couple of generations of product to refine and add more value, before it reaches a "large audience", but that is only to be expected for even the best of products.  There will be some that don't want (initially) a device on their wrist, thinking that they "hate watches".  But right out of the gate, I expect will be the highest margin Apple device.

I would ask some of the naysayers to provide some intelligent opinion as to why they think it will fail, or why my points are wrong.  However, I expect I will just be called a fan boy or ignored.

• Reply 120 of 136
    Quote:

Originally Posted by brucemc View Post

Most people that are negative on the Apple Watch (some posters on this forum, many bloggers, everyone at CNET, etc) are doing so reflexively it seems - not offering any insight as to why they think it will not take off, other than saying it is stupid, Apple is stupid, or that no one wears a watch anymore.  There are some which provide insight as to why they don't like it, or the category will fail, but that is the extreme minority.  And of course for a product that none have yet even used.

I prefer to look at why it might be successful, what it can offer, and debate if this category will truly take off.  What I assume Apple has done here is not simply make a new gadget for the sake of "gotta bring out something new", but rather investigate what can a computer device on the wrist accomplish.  What can it offer that our phone supercomputers cannot (or not as well).  I am sure Apple has some surprises in store for the actual launch (they revealed only a little at the keynote), but they have already provided some guideposts.

A wearable device on our wrist can offer a number of benefits that a phone in your pocket or purse (or man bag:) does not:

- Subtle notifications (haptic get your attention, turn left, you forgot your phone)

- At-a-glance information (messages, time, weather, stocks)

- A different type of intimate connection (taps, quick draw, and the heart beat for whenever couples end up with it)

- Health sensors (starting with heartbeat and motion, but expect more in future versions)

- Extremely convenient secure applications (once you put it on, type in PIN or use TouchID on iPhone, and now ?Watch is secure until taken off). 

- Very portable BT iPod

From those broad areas will come thousands of applications over times, and I am sure hundreds of useful ones at launch.  That is why a device like this needs to be broad, so that its usefulness can appeal to a wide audience.  I personally believe that the extremely secure applications (?Pay, secure access, etc, all without even needing TouchID or PIN at time of use), and health sensors, offer the most interesting use cases.

Communication is extremely valuable in our society - look at the value of the mobile device industry, telecommunications, messaging apps.  These industries are worth many times over what entertainment is.  Apple has deliberately spelled out some new communication modes, which are indeed "more intimate".  The tap, but also the drawing app.  I don't know the reaction in Asian cultures, but for languages with characters, and when the order of how the characters are written matters, this may be big.  The app doesn't just communicate the graphic when done, but as it is drawn.  That is done with purpose.  Way too early to say with certainty, but I can see these communication modes having a huge impact over time.

As you can guess, I myself believe that this will be a big product category, and Apple will take the early lead.  It will take a few years to spread, and a couple of generations of product to refine and add more value, before it reaches a "large audience", but that is only to be expected for even the best of products.  There will be some that don't want (initially) a device on their wrist, thinking that they "hate watches".  But right out of the gate, I expect will be the highest margin Apple device.

I would ask some of the naysayers to provide some intelligent opinion as to why they think it will fail, or why my points are wrong.  However, I expect I will just be called a fan boy or ignored.

1. I haven't seen anyone not give reasons when they say they think it won't be a hit.

2. I think you have to point to a specific post or individual, rather than just generalize.

jmo