'Historical implications' made Apple Watch more difficult to design than original iPhone, Jony Ive s

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 136
    brucemc wrote: »
    I would ask some of the naysayers to provide some intelligent opinion as to why they think it will fail, or why my points are wrong.  However, I expect I will just be called a fan boy or ignored.
    But, but, but jony ive is wearing pink socks hur hur hur, i'll just wear my Rolex it does the same thing hur hur hur, it's not as good as the Ipod hur hur hur.
  • Reply 122 of 136
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

1. I haven't seen anyone not give reasons when they say they think it won't be a hit.

2. I think you have to point to a specific post or individual, rather than just generalize.

jmo

Really, there's been hundreds of posts since its been annouced that says this is stupid in just a general and won't work and you're saying there are NONE! Good grief. Read more, or read better.  Generally, its term as I knew X, Y, Z would work (even though posts about X, Y, Z were very negative pre launch) yet I don't "feel" this one and no one wear watches anymore. If you go accross the net, 90% of negative opinions are exactly like this.

• Reply 123 of 136
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    People hated me last time for this but:

WHY THE Hell did Jony feel it had to have a classic design? I wanted an iPod/iPhone/iPad scale revolution. I had a watch that looked like the ?Watch ten years ago.

I hope that scroll wheel is removed by the 2nd or 3rd gen. Pinching and turning a tiny wheel is the most tedious thing about classic watches.

I still don't see many features that aren't possible on an iPhone or crap Android.

Maps? Twitter? Text messaging? ARE YOU SERIOUS?!

I hope the best for ?Watch. But I really would have preferred something new and innovative. I hope it blows me away. The pressure sensitive touchscreen is awesome and something I've been waiting for(please put one of these in iPhone). I give props there. You can also quote me when I say future iterations will count your push-up and sit up reps.

I'm no iHater by any stretch of the imagination and only buy Apple products but this is my honest opinion.
  • Reply 124 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foggyhill View Post

Really, there's been hundreds of posts since its been annouced that says this is stupid in just a general and won't work and you're saying there are NONE! Good grief. Read more, or read better.  Generally, its term as I knew X, Y, Z would work (even though posts about X, Y, Z were very negative pre launch) yet I don't "feel" this one and no one wear watches anymore. If you go accross the net, 90% of negative opinions are exactly like this.

Example, please and location (on ai).

[... and quit with the insulting tone]

• Reply 125 of 136
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Example, please and location (on ai).

[... and quit with the insulting tone]

I'm not google. You know that they're there, don't try to me clever, and they're also on MacRumors, go look for them.

• Reply 126 of 136
    Quote:

Originally Posted by foggyhill View Post

I'm not google. You know that they're there, don't try to me clever, and they're also on MacRumors, go look for them.

At least read my post. It says very plainly... "on ai".

... and, no, I don't know they are there. I have always seen reasons given.

So I guess you can't give me an example.

• Reply 127 of 136
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

It's Apple hardware that runs iOS - adapted perfectly to a watch form factor.

It'll be a hit. Just sit back and watch the rest of the industry try to respond. It'll be pure comedy.

And there's the rub, they *cannot* respond due to the nature of the product, and therefore the industry will be collectively shitting themselves. Once Apple reached a certain size and power the resources that they are able to summon will mean they will be pulling away at an ever increasing pace. Giant conglomerations like Samsung are going to have to break apart into completely separate divisions or other companies are going to have to merge their resources. It's clear that software as well as custom chips and hardware are a major part of the equation.

• Reply 128 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by schlack View Post

i think MSFT's band is a bit more impressive. more sensors. more fitness features. double the battery life. 1/2 the cost. smaller profile. cross platform compatible.

I think these sorts of comments completely and utterly miss the point of the Apple watch, the sports Apple watch with the plastic bands will be competing with the msft band, and maybe not do to well or only do OK, but the other watches in Apple's collection are a completely different category of product, even though they can perform similar functions they are aimed at being body jewellery. Not my cup of tea, I don't even wear a ring but no other smart watch type object made by anyone else has a chance in hell of being considered jewellery. 

I can also see in the future Apple giving the middle and upper tier watches special capabilities, either software or hardware that work with a watch more used as jewellery.

• Reply 129 of 136
    Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

I believe the color word you're both looking for is "red."  (I just discovered that the crayon box in the color picker was hit with the "flat" stick in Yosemite; it's not an improvement.)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregquinn View Post

Pink socks..?

That is not Pink!   That is an Apple Color called Crimson Tapita Sunrise Oblivion!  

• Reply 130 of 136
    fracfrac Posts: 480member
    inkling wrote: »
    Historical implications? I suspect Jony needs to take a modesty pill. This is not a vaccine for Ebola, a cure for cancer, or faster-than-light travel.

It's just a watch.

Well buddy, there are historical implications ré education, for a seeming inability to parse the true context of a statement if you need to dissemble with irrelevant comparisons to make a point.
    Deconstruction of Ive's words leads one naturally to the realisation that Apple's device is...
    NOT "....just a watch"
  • Reply 131 of 136
    blazarblazar Posts: 270member
    People that don't think making an existing technology smaller is hard... They confuse me. Miniaturization is very hard...

When you are on a mission such as making an ipad thinner... Lots of materials innovations and manufacturing innovations occur that allow for the final product to be realized.

What do people want? A screen to grow out of their skin?

The imagination can come up with a LOT . you can render amazing concept art and movies of almost anything these days. The movie "edge if tomorrow" is extemely realistic. There is a difference between what is possible to think of vs actually possible to create. Atoms and molecules are what they are...

Even movie set designers arent able to show us something 100% fresh every time.

What could Apple make that would impress the naysayers? The word "innovation" is thrown around loosely by lots of people.

The CNC machined aluminum unibody macbook was the first modern apple product that led me to buy apple stock. I have been buying lots since then and making a TON of money. My stock account if used as marker for innovation should tell you something. I own ONE major stock... It's apple. No major diversification yet except using the dividend payments which are buying 3D printer stocks.
  • Reply 132 of 136
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    One reason I like this guy; it's never about him, always about his team.

http://www.wwd.com/eye/people/apples-jonathan-ives-receives-design-award-from-sfmoma-8018690

The reserved design guru was unusually emotive as he thanked his coworkers at Apple.

[QUOTE]“I’m very grateful and happy with this honor, and I’m accepting it on behalf of my team, who are all here tonight,” he said. “My team today is the same team I started working with in 1996. Everything I do is collaboration.”[/QUOTE]
  • Reply 133 of 136
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member
    I thought Apple was all about upsetting the applecart so to speak?

Why worry so much about history of product use?

Apple should do the Apple thing and completely redefine what is a watch in the 21st century.

Now if they want to copy/use the art/styling of watches of old, fine.
  • Reply 134 of 136

Hell, I like it for the programmable watch face alone. Nearly bought a Pebble 2, but the "iWatch" rumors were getting thick, and I wanted something color because 21st century.

All the neckbeard tech geeks and grandpa naysayers can all go over in the corner and grouse over rounds of absinthe.

• Reply 135 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cali View Post

WHY THE Hell did Jony feel it had to have a classic design? I wanted an iPod/iPhone/iPad scale revolution. I had a watch that looked like the ?Watch ten years ago.

It's a fair question. The Apple Watch, IMO, is absolutely not designed for tech geeks. It's not a market Apple caters to because tech geeks are a niche. They like to think they took over the world, but outside a minority who hit it big, they just aren't that relevant on a global scale. Geek love child Android has so much market share in phones because they own the low end and unprofitable market, not because the world is full of tech geeks. There's also a lot of established iconography and design style already in existence for wristwatches. I think the Apple Watch straddles the old and the new worlds brilliantly, and I think the little wheel will turn out to be pretty slick in practice.

Remember they futzed with this for three years. Give it a chance when the real deal comes out.

Also, which watch looked like this 10 years ago, and did it have the same functionality?

• Reply 136 of 136
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Quiet_Desperation View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cali View Post

It's a fair question. The Apple Watch, IMO, is absolutely not designed for tech geeks. It's not a market Apple caters to because tech geeks are a niche. They like to think they took over the world, but outside a minority who hit it big, they just aren't that relevant on a global scale. Geek love child Android has so much market share in phones because they own the low end and unprofitable market, not because the world is full of tech geeks. There's also a lot of established iconography and design style already in existence for wristwatches. I think the Apple Watch straddles the old and the new worlds brilliantly, and I think the little wheel will turn out to be pretty slick in practice.

Remember they futzed with this for three years. Give it a chance when the real deal comes out.

Also, which watch looked like this 10 years ago, and did it have the same functionality?

None of the best watches looked this ugly ten years ago.

There is no watch market like there is a mobile phone market. I predict that the Apple Watch will be born a 'hobby' and will either be put out of its misery or carried on in kind.

No-one wants to peer at such a tiny screen, end of.