Apple may face iPhone trademark battle in India as local firm asserts 'iFon' mark

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    josha wrote: »
    Those in India were first known to Europe as Indians;  from India.
    Our local Indians who we met later needed a different name.

It's the Egyptians who named them 'indus', to refer to people who lived east of the Indus river. Much, much earlier than the Europeans.

Columbus thought he had actually landed in India when he ran into people with brown skins, hence the reference in the Americas. Maps at that time did not know that there was this massive land mass that stretched all the way form the north to the south, cutting off easy access to India (which is where he was headed and thought he had reached)!
  • Reply 22 of 49
    Because AI hasn't posted anything about it yet:

<h2>Ex-Apple and Pepsi CEO and object-of-Steve-Jobs'-wrath John Sculley launches new low-cost smartphone brand "Obi" in India, Middle East.</h2>

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">http://fortune.com/2014/10/31/ex-apple-ceo-john-sculley-launches-low-cost-smartphone-brand</span>

You're welcome.

He should have stuck to running.... Oh wait, that job's been taken by an Indian! :lol:
  • Reply 23 of 49

iVoice? iFon?

iWTF indeed!!! Here come bunch of more Drama iQueens! :smokey: 

They want Apple do the needful $$ ... :D

• Reply 24 of 49

<h2>Ex-Apple and Pepsi CEO and object-of-Steve-Jobs'-wrath John Sculley launches new low-cost smartphone brand "Obi" in India, Middle East.</h2>

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">http://fortune.com/2014/10/31/ex-apple-ceo-john-sculley-launches-low-cost-smartphone-brand</span>

You're welcome.

He's clearly been drinking too much Pepsi.
  • Reply 25 of 49
    If your product's success depends on the name you happen to give the product, you don't have a product.
  • Reply 26 of 49
    Anyone who puts a lowercase "i" in front of their product is trying to leech off Apple's success. Make no mistake.
  • Reply 27 of 49
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    This is why moving their naming conventions to %uF8FF .... is brilliant (%uF8FF Watch, %uF8FF Pay, %uF8FF TV, etc). Not only will they not have to deal with this shit, but it's also a stronger connection to the company and the brand, since everything is "i" these days.
  • Reply 28 of 49
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    [quote name="Slurpy" url="/t/183176/apple-may-face-iphone-trademark-battle-in-india-as-local-firm-asserts-ifon-mark#post_2632629"]This is why moving their naming conventions to %uF8FF .... is brilliant

iAgree
  • Reply 29 of 49
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    double post - stupid huddler
  • Reply 30 of 49
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshA View Post

Those in India were first known to Europe as Indians;  from India.

Our local Indians who we met later needed a different name.

Only because Columbus didn't know where he was - since he was trying to find India, he named the inhabitants "Indians".

• Reply 31 of 49
    slurpy wrote: »
    This is why moving their naming conventions to %uF8FF .... is brilliant

iAgree
    In that case they might call their crap phone %uF8FFFon and all things will be settled.
  • Reply 32 of 49
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    cali wrote: »
    Exactly!

I've seen everyone rip off Apples naming. From Sony's iSound to iGoogle.

I sometimes wonder if the reason Apple is ditching "i" in favor of "?" for naming is to shake off all the copycats.

These companies are so shameless I wouldn't doubt if we see ?Sound or ?Google in the future :D

Apple didn't invent the i-naming. In 1990 I was using a telephony testing device called the iTron. Cisco was already using iPhone which Apple tried to steal.
  • Reply 33 of 49
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    elroth wrote: »
    Only because Columbus didn't know where he was - since he was trying to find India, he named the inhabitants "Indians".

He thought he was in the Indies (cluster of islands off the coast of India) when he landed on the island that's now Hispaniola, the island that Haiti and the Dominican Republic share.
  • Reply 34 of 49
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Naming rights, not naming writes. Come on AI, at least try to proof read.
  • Reply 35 of 49

You're welcome.

Are they going to call their first phone the ObiOne?
  • Reply 36 of 49
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AnalogJack View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by cali View Post

I've seen everyone rip off Apples naming. From Sony's iSound to iGoogle.

And now Tim Cook with iGay

LMAO!

• Reply 37 of 49

You're welcome.

Barra with Xiaomi, Sculley with Obi? This is going to be hilarious. Oh, and Sculley picked up a designer from Beats! It can't get any funnier!
  • Reply 38 of 49
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member

Riiiiiight, the similarity in name was the only obstacle to success. 

Why not InFon or InFone or InPhone for India Phone? Or iTalk, or any of a myriad of possibilities. 

Maybe I am missing something here but how many investors base their decisions on nothing more than a catchy name? Could it be that the investors backed out when Apple became their competition in the market segment for the device regardless of the name? 

You do have to wonder how many companies put i in front of any other syllable or word hoping to cash in on the success of iMac, iPod, etc based on the iDea that Apple would not enter that particular market and crush them like a bug. 

• Reply 39 of 49
    Barra with Xiaomi, Sculley with Obi? This is going to be hilarious. Oh, and Sculley picked up a designer from Beats! It can't get any funnier!

And Bezos with Fire Sale :lol:
  • Reply 40 of 49
    Let them keep their mark, but reverse it: foNi. Pronounced "phoney."