Copland - Remember those days?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hehe - I was just thinking about Copland and how new and exciting it was, and how Apple made promises that they never delivered. However, OS X is much better than Copland was ever supposed to be, so that's good. I remember installing the Aaron extension on my computer, and then copying files just to see the progress bars.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 58
    I still have a "Mac OS 8 Tour" from 1996.

It was an interactive movie showing off all the coolness of what Copland would be. I think I'll watch it again.
  • Reply 2 of 58
    low-filow-fi Posts: 357member
    Any chance of posting that somewhere please? I would love to watch that...
  • Reply 3 of 58
    [quote]Originally posted by Mr A J:

<strong>Any chance of posting that somewhere please? I would love to watch that...</strong><hr></blockquote>FYI, it was a whole CD. I'm not sure you'll find it outside a H/C server.

Tho, I have it too.
  • Reply 4 of 58
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Wow alot of "flashbacks" on the boards these days...
  • Reply 5 of 58
    Copland? You mean that Sylvester Stallone movie?
  • Reply 6 of 58
    I have a Disk Image of that CD.

THat is a cool Tour. It's an 80MB Disk Image.
  • Reply 7 of 58
    I want the image!!!
  • Reply 8 of 58
    Yeah, I remember most the promise of different themes. There was to an industrial theme, a child-oriented theme, and so on.

At least those cool 3D folders made it through!

- Pook
  • Reply 9 of 58
    [quote]Originally posted by PookJP:

<strong>Yeah, I remember most the promise of different themes. There was to an industrial theme, a child-oriented theme, and so on.

At least those cool 3D folders made it through!

- Pook</strong><hr></blockquote>

If you search hard enough, you can get all the themes.
  • Reply 10 of 58
    [quote]Originally posted by Mac Write:

<strong>I have a Disk Image of that CD.

THat is a cool Tour. It's an 80MB Disk Image.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Pretty please post the image? You would make some geeks very happy

AJ
  • Reply 11 of 58
    [quote]Hehe - I was just thinking about Copland and how new and exciting it was, and how Apple made promises that they never delivered. However, OS X is much better than Copland was ever supposed to be, so that's good.<hr></blockquote>

What has Apple never delivered specifically? Are there features that still are not in OS 9 or OS X that were going to be in Copland? None that I can think of, but I am not very familiar with Copland, so I do not know. We have an OS now with a true, modern, UNIX based foundation and a great interface on top, so that is what I mainly care about.
  • Reply 12 of 58
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    I have the image. If I can find it I'll post it.
  • Reply 13 of 58
    alright, I found it. Now I just have to figure out how my brother has his server set up
  • Reply 14 of 58
    <a href="ftp://serverforyou.2y.net"; target="_blank">ftp://serverforyou.2y.net</a>;

name: ai

password: ai

edit: tell me if you are having any troubles. I have been here but it seems people are connected. I've limited it to 5 people so my connection doesn't get screwed up.

hotline server has just been put up.

hotline://serverforyou.2y.net

guest access for that.

[ 02-23-2002: Message edited by: applenut ]</p>
  • Reply 15 of 58
    Copland? You mean that Sylvester Stallone movie?

HAHA!

Exactly what I was thinking!

In the end, didnt OS9 turn into what Copland was promised as? It had the interface, and wasnt there something about them building protected memory into the later versions of OS9? Oh my days out of the loop have been long...
  • Reply 16 of 58
    THANKS applenut!

I'll get it tomorrow, and tell ya what i think...
  • Reply 17 of 58
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    [quote]Originally posted by apple fan 1:

<strong>

What has Apple never delivered specifically? Are there features that still are not in OS 9 or OS X that were going to be in Copland? None that I can think of, but I am not very familiar with Copland, so I do not know. We have an OS now with a true, modern, UNIX based foundation and a great interface on top, so that is what I mainly care about.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm not sure about what went in copland and what was in rhapsody, but I think these didn't make it:

Save a search as a folder. You click on the folder, and the search is repeated and opens as a finder window. There was a lot of cool search stuff too.

A dock which had all your disks in! There's still no way to mount disks into the dock in X!

Protected memory on programs not written for it. I think this happened, although they may have had blue box then. can't remember.

Can't remember any more now. I used to have the whole Copland UI guidelines as a PDF, I'll see if I can find it sometime.

Amorya
  • Reply 18 of 58
    [quote]Originally posted by Amorya:

<strong>A dock which had all your disks in! There's still no way to mount disks into the dock in X!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes there is - just drag the disk down to the right hand side of the dock. Then, hold down the mouse button on it or control-click it, and a menu pops up with all the stuff in it.
  • Reply 19 of 58
    that's an alias.

not like it matters but they don't mount in the dock
  • Reply 20 of 58
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Having a checkbox to mount disks and network drives automatically in the Dock has always been one of my requests to Apple. I figured you could put it in the Finder prefs next to the option to have them show up on the Desktop.

I'd find it incredibly convenient for some things.

And the search-as-folder idea is pretty nice too.