Microsoft continues ad assault on Apple's MacBook Air, features Lenovo in latest spot

Comments

• Reply 21 of 92
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Who wants an American laptop when you can buy a Chinese Communist one?

Uh, which one is which?  Are we pretending that Apple manufacturing isn't primarily in China?

• Reply 22 of 92

Really tired that during all NFL games and a lot of TV programming every fifth or sixth commercial is either MS or Samsung shots at Apple. If their products are sooo great then let them stand on their own merit and the people will buy it if they choose. Obviously MS & SMG have inferiority complexes and are deathly afraid of Apple. Now I just turn the channel for 30 seconds.

• Reply 23 of 92
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by malax View Post

Uh, which one is which?  Are we pretending that Apple manufacturing isn't primarily in China?

There isn't many laptops built in America anymore, interestingly Chinese company Lenovo builds their ThinkPad line including the Yoga in the states and Americas biggest computer manufacture Apple has their stuff built in China, If that isn't irony, I don't know what is.

• Reply 24 of 92
    Who wants an American laptop when you can buy a Chinese Communist one?

I agree with malax, in this world economy China is likely involved in creating nearly everything we purchase. Even the new Mac Pro and iMac which say they are assembled in the U.S. have plenty of assembly in the China.
    malax wrote: »

In my experience working in an IT department and going to numerous conferences of the past 5+ years (technology, privacy, big data, XML standards, education), Apple completely dominates the market for business laptops.  Nowadays, if you look around the room at conference sessions, the distribution of attendee devices are iPads and MacBooks each with 30-60% of the crowd and the rest have other laptops (often with inventory stickers indicating they are company property) and other tablets.  And these are conferences that have absolutely no Apple corporate presence and aren't about consumer electronics.  MS is rightly scared.  Desktops are now the preferred platform for only 2 groups: businesses and gamers.

From my experience that's a glorious truth.
  • Reply 25 of 92
    relic wrote: »
    There isn't many laptops built in America anymore, interestingly Chinese company Lenovo builds their ThinkPad line including the Yoga in the states and Americas biggest computer manufacture Apple has their stuff built in China, If that isn't irony, I don't know what is.

Overseas automakers have been doing that for decades. Of course, an automobile is much larger and heavier than a computer which has more intrinsic cost for shipping. I'd say Lenovo, Apple et al. are mostly doing the final assembly in the US for marketing reasons.
  • Reply 26 of 92
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    relic wrote: »
    The i3 Surface starts at 800, with the keyboard it's 910, Amazon sells the blue keyboard now for 110, i5 version costs 200 more. The MacBook Air starts at 900 not 800, so it's not a several hundred, it's 210, minus 50 with the included rebate for MS accessories, it's 160. For the difference in price your getting a 2160 x 1440 display vs. 1366 x 768, touch screen and an active digitizer stylus so it's not like Microsoft is overcharging. Though the keyboard really should be included, pretty tacky if you ask me.
    If you want to compare, do the same specs which starts with i5 128GB and it's $999. Btw, take all the rebate and discount out cuz these are not retail price. Last, don't even compare MS keyboard and touch pad with Air keyboard and Touchpad. Duh!
  • Reply 27 of 92
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    Why are they targeting the MacBook air? Is it really their biggest problem right now?

I'd guess they are targeting people who own both an Air and an iPad by trying to sell them a device that does the job of both worse than both and more expensive than both combined. I have a feeling it might not work out.

Apple is also a brand that gets talked about a lot with consumers so any kind of link to that is going to get some awareness they wouldn't normally get. Any company can do it really, car manufacturers can compare their latest car to a Macbook Air and they'd get some interest.
  • Reply 28 of 92

Nice advert! Wouldn't buy one, but nice advert.

• Reply 29 of 92
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

The i3 Surface starts at 800, with the keyboard it's 910, Amazon sells the blue keyboard now for 110, i5 version costs 200 more. The MacBook Air starts at 900 not 800, so it's not a several hundred, it's 210, minus 50 with the included rebate for MS accessories, it's 160. For the difference in price your getting a 2160 x 1440 display vs. 1366 x 768, touch screen and an active digitizer stylus so it's not like Microsoft is overcharging. Though the keyboard really should be included, pretty tacky if you ask me.

Yes the Surface Pro starts at $800, but this includes an i3 and only 64Gb SSD and Intel HD Graphics 4200, whereas the entry level MacBook Air starts at $900 and has an i5, 128Gb SSD and has Intel HD Graphics 5000, so in reality, you would need to go for the better model of Surface Pro 3 to compare like for like, which would be the i5, 128Gb SSD with Intel HD Graphics 4400, but this would set you back $1000 before adding the keyboard (another $110-$130), which makes the package $1100 minimum.  So in practice, Microsoft is overcharging, yes it's a better resolution and touchscreen, but you are having to pay an extra $200 for the privilege?

• Reply 30 of 92
    Of course, the fact that the Yoga 3 is getting slammed in reviews for serious performance regressions vs the 2 doesn't help.
  • Reply 31 of 92
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Have you checked the prices at all?

A Surface Pro (with keyboard is almost) $1400

An iPad Mini (which is all you really need) and Macbook Air is 799 + 399 = $1200
    So I still stand by my statement, in fcat you could get 10" for about same price

oh and it is easy to run Windows on a MacBook too , in fact I do just that using VMware fusion for a stock options trading program that only runs on Windows. I have a real old copy of WindowsXP for just that purpose. It is REALLY REALLY fast.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

It is cheaper that the cost of a Macbook Air and an iPad which would be required to gain nearly the same functionality.

What I want to know is why no one is putting cellular capability into notebooks. That would be a selling point for me.

• Reply 32 of 92
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

If you want to compare, do the same specs which starts with i5 128GB and it's $999. Btw, take all the rebate and discount out cuz these are not retail price. Last, don't even compare MS keyboard and touch pad with Air keyboard and Touchpad. Duh!

add to that this surface limitation The surface is NOT a laptop, it has been pretty well documented that it can only really be used on table/desk. Sitting using it in an armshair/sofa is not possible at least with the keyboard. Also the Surface "keyboard" is very limited it is NOT durable so you probably will need to replace it after a year
  • Reply 33 of 92
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Keep swinging and missing, MS. Sooner or later you might make contact.
  • Reply 34 of 92
    Quote:

Originally Posted by asterion View Post

Agreed.  Compared to Samsung ads it might actually sell some units, though does not sell to me.  There are plenty of users who care about physical capabilities like that and don't get that the iPad is the device to do it on.  So the ad does play to users lack of knowledge.  I have personally used a Yoga 2, and was quite impressed, but I would rather run IOS on a 3" thick 10lbs ugly laptop then run Windows on a really nice machine, but thankfully Apple makes the Air.  :)

• Reply 35 of 92
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by asterion View Post

Yes it is. It clearly differentiates the two offerings and on the face of it the Lenovo comes out on top. I wouldn't be surprised if the alleged iPad Pro will share some of the qualities (kinda hoping - yes I am not a finger input purist). The really significant differentiator that goes firmly in Apple's favour, however, is the OS. I have spent a little time with Windows 8 lately and OMFG! That is a hard sell! I mean it is great news for large corporations' training departments, but for the average user? What a nightmare.

• Reply 36 of 92
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rich Gregory View Post

The funny thing is the Mac is no where near top dog in the (shrinking) PC market...

See below.... ...nothing funny about it from MS's perspective....

Quote:
    Originally Posted by daveinpublic View Post

Why are they targeting the MacBook air? Is it really their biggest problem right now?

One of them...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

Because Macs soak up most of the PC industry's profits, despite the fact that they aren't the market leader in unit sales.

....holding over 90% of the premium personal computing market (as last reported on this very site for personal computers over $1000)....

....while Chromebooks are starting to eat them up on the bottom end (personal computers under $300 or so) to the point they're now giving their cash cow (Windows) away for use in PC's under (I believe) $250....

....Leaving Redmond (and its also beleaguered OEM's) the proverbial "monkey in the middle."

• Reply 37 of 92
    I thought I'd never see the day PCs would compare themselves to Macs in advertising. The Mac has come a long way since 1996.
  • Reply 38 of 92
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Actually not duh, the new Surface pro keyboard is actually quite good, I can type just as fast on it than I can on my MacBook ir. The prices I listed are retail as what is listed on Microsoft Store, the only thing that wasn't was the keyboard which is an Amazon deal but I also see them go for as low as 90 when purchased with Surface Pro 3. The rebate is only 50 bucks, not a real big help and is meant for the keyboard or docking station. I'm not saying one is better than the other here, just stating that Surface is not as expensive as your making it out to be.

• Reply 39 of 92
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I thought I'd never see the day PCs would compare themselves to Macs in advertising. The Mac has come a long way since 1996.

Why, Apple used to do the same with their I am a Mac campaign or did you forget, how about the Intel processor on top of the snail in Apples PowerPc ad's. Apple doesn't do it anymore because they don't need to, their on top, they have their loyal customer base. Microsoft is desperate to get some of those customers, just like Apple was at one point.

• Reply 40 of 92

The Lenovo Yoga 3 starts at $1500, on sale for $1300. That's about $200-$400 more expensive than the equivalent MacBook Air. I guess you are paying the Lenovo tax here? ;)