Microsoft continues ad assault on Apple's MacBook Air, features Lenovo in latest spot

135

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 92
    They have to target the MacBook Air because it's the best laptop in the world. Even PC World has it ranked as the #1 laptop. The #2 laptop, btw, according to them, is the MacBook Pro.

    Tough making ads when even PC Magazine knows that the competition makes the best product.
  • Reply 42 of 92
    thedbathedba Posts: 685member

    To me, ads like this, speak volumes about the "Church of market share" crowd.

    Why attack a maker, Apple in this case, that has less than 10% market share? Why not just show off the best of what you can do?

    Is it because you're not as successful as the "market share" crowd say you are?

    Same goes for the Android crowd, BTW. 

  • Reply 43 of 92
    Where is Steve Ballmer when you need him?
  • Reply 44 of 92
    relic wrote: »
    Why, Apple used to do the same with their I am a Mac campaign or did you forget, how about the Intel processor on top of the snail in Apples PowerPc ad's. Apple doesn't do it anymore because they don't need to, their on top, they have their loyal customer base. Microsoft is desperate to get some of those customers, just like Apple was at one point.

    1) It's a role reversal when you consider the position Apple was in in 1996.

    2) This isn't teh first time. Remember their Switcher ads?

    3) Apple's Get A Mac campaign was very different than this poor ad by MS. Apple used an anthropomorphic but generic PC, and didn't once not any specific WinPC OEM. The only other company I've seen follow Apple's lead was Samsung in some of their recent ads.
  • Reply 45 of 92

    It seems, when it comes to Microsoft, "the more things change, the more they stay the same". I couldn't have imagined that anyone could be worse for Msoft than Balmer, but the first attempts by the new CEO, seem to say they haven't learned a thing! 

  • Reply 46 of 92
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,018member

    msft is fucking AWESOME!

  • Reply 47 of 92
    I think it's a great ad. Effectively highlights the fact that that Apple is not pushing the boundaries of what defines a laptop.
  • Reply 48 of 92
    That ad was so funny. But I really missed the clicking sounds. After all, Windows has to have clicks cause that is what makes it great. Right??

    PS, Which computer can run the most software?
    A PC can only run windows software, with viruses.
    A Mac can run Mac OS X software, Windows software, Linux software....

    Just saying where its important...... :-)
  • Reply 49 of 92
    coolfactor wrote: »
    I think it's a great ad. Effectively highlights the fact that that Apple is not pushing the boundaries of what defines a laptop.

    • Pushing for longer battery life when the standard for WinPC notebooks was 2.5-3 hours
    • Pioneering low-cost, high resolution
    • Pioneering low-cost, IPS displays.
    • A multitouch trackpad that actually works
    • Great keyboards on even their cheapest models
    • Removing extraneous, outdated components
    • Thinner, lighter and stronger


    Nope, it's like they don't even care about their Mac line anymore¡
  • Reply 50 of 92
    larryalarrya Posts: 591member
    kent909 wrote: »

    It is cheaper that the cost of a Macbook Air and an iPad which would be required to gain nearly the same functionality.

    What I want to know is why no one is putting cellular capability into notebooks. That would be a selling point for me.

    I think Asus is selling a convertible with an LTE model.
    relic wrote: »
    The i3 Surface starts at 800, with the keyboard it's 910, Amazon sells the blue keyboard now for 110, i5 version costs 200 more. The MacBook Air starts at 900 not 800, so it's not a several hundred, it's 210, minus 50 with the included rebate for MS accessories, it's 160. For the difference in price your getting a 2160 x 1440 display vs. 1366 x 768, touch screen and an active digitizer stylus so it's not like Microsoft is overcharging. Though the keyboard really should be included, pretty tacky if you ask me.

    Looked at MacBooks, Surface Pro, and other also-rans yesterday with wife to replace her old Dell. She preferred Surface over all of them. It's nice if you need to run Access. I also heard this one is actually making MSFT money. As an aside, Apple needs to do something about their retail stores. Where I live there is no such thing as a walk-in. They should put a sign in the window that says "by appointment only".
  • Reply 51 of 92
    larrya wrote: »
    It's nice if you need to run Access.

    Is anything really nice if you have to use MS Access?
    As an aside, Apple needs to do something about their retail stores. Where I live there is no such thing as a walk-in. They should put a sign in the window that says "by appointment only".

    Huh, I've never heard of that. They have appointments for Genius Bar appointments, and there are lines for new products due to demand, but I've never seen an Apple Store they will force you to make an appointment just to look at the new products or buy some simple accessory they have on the wall.
  • Reply 53 of 92
    Imagine a hammer that was also a screwdriver. It can be done. It would be just as clumsy and ungainly as this Lenovo dud.
  • Reply 54 of 92
    malax wrote: »
     
    They should start an ad campaign with Jon Hodgman and Justin Long but this time do 'I'm a PC, I'm a Mac' and see how that works out for them.

    Times have changed, never thought I'd see Apple being portrayed as the top dog by others in ads. The funny thing is the Mac is no where near top dog in the (shrinking) PC market, and iOS is most likely not the top selling phone OS. I believe it is in the tablet world. When the I'm a Mac commercials aired Apple was the underdog.

    This is all a little surreal! has anyone turned one of these tablets into a hack-intosh yet?


    In my experience working in an IT department and going to numerous conferences of the past 5+ years (technology, privacy, big data, XML standards, education), Apple completely dominates the market for business laptops.  Nowadays, if you look around the room at conference sessions, the distribution of attendee devices are iPads and MacBooks each with 30-60% of the crowd and the rest have other laptops (often with inventory stickers indicating they are company property) and other tablets.  And these are conferences that have absolutely no Apple corporate presence and aren't about consumer electronics.  MS is rightly scared.  Desktops are now the preferred platform for only 2 groups: businesses and gamers.

    I disagree with your assertion about desktops. I think that with the iPad, it become more attractive for a lot of people to have a desktop and an iPad instead of a laptop. You cover more bases that way.
  • Reply 55 of 92
    davesmall wrote: »
    Imagine a hammer that was also a screwdriver. It can be done. It would be just as clumsy and ungainly as this Lenovo dud.

    No one ever won a war with a Swiss Army knife.
  • Reply 56 of 92
    dewmedewme Posts: 4,547member
    I don't see the logic of comparing the MacBook Air which is a purpose built ultra lightweight notebook with best in class keyboard and trackpad with a Rube Goldberg style contraption that isn't world class anything. Elegance versus clap trap. Try picking up a Surface device by the keyboard and see what kind of mess that makes. I know it's only advertising and all advertising is built around contrived scenarios, but Microsoft is overstepping into the regions of insincerity and fantasy to infer that a Surface is either a world class PC or world class tablet. It's neither, it's the El Camino of the computing world, a lousy car and a lousy truck all morphed into one hackish looking package, I.e., a Cuck.

    Microsoft has been trying to shove these morpho contraptions down our throat for well over a decade. Sorry to say but the sixth time is still not a charm.
  • Reply 57 of 92
    relic wrote: »
    Why, Apple used to do the same with their I am a Mac campaign or did you forget, how about the Intel processor on top of the snail in Apples PowerPc ad's. Apple doesn't do it anymore because they don't need to, their on top, they have their loyal customer base. Microsoft is desperate to get some of those customers, just like Apple was at one point.

    You missed my point. You expect Pepsi to compare itself to Coke; you don't expect Coke to compare itself to Pepsi. The PC is dominant. The Mac is (according to Ballmer) a "rounding error."
  • Reply 58 of 92
    Let's see... A plastic computer with less screen real estate, a slower processor, less possible installed memory, no Thunderbolt, lesser video out, much less battery endurance, no 802.11ac wifi. Yeah, that really outdoes the MacBook Air, huh?
  • Reply 59 of 92
    [quote name="GTR" url="/t/183209/microsoft-continues-ad-assault-on-apples-macbook-air-features-lenovo-in-latest-spot#post_2633370"]Microsoft continuing it's ad assault...

    [IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/51891/width/500/height/1000[/IMG][/

    :lol:
    Nice!!

    I definitely ought to send TC a bottle of AntiBrumm.
  • Reply 60 of 92
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,756member
    Because this... THIS... will make Microsoft relevant in today's market dynamics.



    This changes everything.
Sign In or Register to comment.