Navy Federal, USAA, U.S. Bank, others kick off second wave of Apple Pay rollouts [u]

Posted:
in iPhone edited November 2014
A number of new credit unions and banks have started to flip the switch giving customers access to Apple Pay, making Apple's new NFC-based mobile payment system available to millions of new consumers throughout the U.S.

Navy Federal --?the world's largest credit union, boasting more than 5 million customers --?announced its rollout early Monday. Many of those customers are active duty military personnel, placing an emphasis on payment mobility.

"We're excited to make this new service available to our members starting today," Navy Federal executive Randy Hopper said in a release. "Our members live fast-paced and mobile lives. And, they have enthusiastically adopted our mobile banking solutions. Now, with Apple Pay, they'll be able to save time when shopping while having a safe and easy payment experience."

U.S. Bank --?the fifth-largest commercial bank in the U.S., with customers in 25 states --?also announced Apple Pay availability on Monday.

"We couldn't be more pleased to see this day arrive for our customers," U.S. Bank executive Dominic Venturo said in a separate release. "Providing our customers the ability to securely pay where, when and how they want is a central theme for our payments business. Enabling our customers to use Apple Pay is the perfect example of how we bring that philosophy to life."

USAA, PNC Bank, and Barclaycard customers have also reported that their accounts have become Apple Pay-enabled, though those institutions have yet to issue official releases.

Update: PNC Bank late Monday has confirmed support for Apple Pay is now live.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    Awesome! Hoping my credit union wises up to Apple Pay.
  • Reply 2 of 48
    Added my USAA MC, AMEX still not available though.
  • Reply 3 of 48

Today I received an email from my bank, SunTrust, which read:

"The secure, easy and convenient way to pay from your new iPhone® 6 or iPhone 6 Plus is coming soon.    

With Apple Pay, you can make payments in a single touch. You can store your SunTrust credit and debit card information safely and privately, and make purchases through contactless payment technology. Apple Pay makes using your debit and credit cards:

Secure. Apple doesn't track or share your information during transactions.

Easy. Setup is simple and making payments is as easy as placing your finger on the Touch ID™.

Convenient. You don't need to open an app, or even wake your phone to pay."

YAY!

• Reply 4 of 48
    Seems PNC have enabled personal accounts only, no business cards -
  • Reply 5 of 48
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    I have to admit I'm still wary of linking these things directly to my bank accounts. I do trust Apple Pay is secure but you never know...

Edit: I meant debit card.
  • Reply 6 of 48
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

I have to admit I'm still wary of linking these things directly to my bank accounts. I do trust Apple Pay is secure but you never know...

What are you talking about?

Apple Pay doesn't link directly to people's bank accounts. People use their credit and debit cards when paying with Apple Pay.

You set up a credit or debit card into Apple Pay and then you can pay from your device, using Touch ID.

Your card will get charged for the purchase.

Linking directly to your bank account, and requiring your SS#, your DL, your health information and your first born child is how CurrentC works.

Do you use a debit or credit card? Do you trust those?

Apple Pay is the same thing, expect it's more secure since it uses tokenization, and retailers will not be able to store your info, unlike when you use an actual credit or debit card. Not to mention the convenience of using Touch ID when paying.

• Reply 7 of 48
    Quote:

You seem to be confusing CurrentC and Apple Pay. There's no linking to your accounts with Apple Pay.

• Reply 8 of 48
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Talk about ignorance..especially for someone with 5,000 posts. 

• Reply 9 of 48

In th

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Then he has an excuse - only 4,493 posts...

/s

• Reply 10 of 48

By the way, I don't have an iPhone 6 yet, but I do have the newest iPad, and just today, I've already used Apple Pay four times when purchasing a few apps and things from the iTunes store.

• Reply 11 of 48
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    What are you talking about?

Apple Pay doesn't link directly to people's bank accounts. People use their credit and debit cards when paying with Apple Pay.

You set up a credit or debit card into Apple Pay and then you can pay from your device, using Touch ID.

Your card will get charged for the purchase.

Linking directly to your bank account, and requiring your SS#, your DL, your health information and your first born child is how CurrentC works.

Do you use a debit or credit card? Do you trust those?

Apple Pay is the same thing, expect it's more secure since it uses tokenization, and retailers will not be able to store your info, unlike when you use an actual credit or debit card. Not to mention the convenience of using Touch ID when paying.

You seem to be confusing CurrentC and Apple Pay. There's no linking to your accounts with Apple Pay.

slurpy wrote: »

I meant the debit card. But I'm sure you guys have perfect posting history.
  • Reply 12 of 48
    Added my Barclaycard, so I've got two options. My bank is on the "coming soon" list, as as soon as they're online, my debit card will be my primary payment!
  • Reply 13 of 48
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    Quote:

Apple Pay is no more linked to your account than the plastic cards you already carry around in your wallet, and it's much more secure...

• Reply 14 of 48
    phalanxphalanx Posts: 109member

Yeah,  it is very similar to Google Wallet.   If you are familiar with how it works.  

• Reply 15 of 48
    Awesome! Hoping my credit union wises up to Apple Pay.

Here's a list of CU's that Visa is working with:
    http://usa.visa.com/clients-partners/technology-and-innovation/apple-pay/financial-institutions/index.jsp
  • Reply 16 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by phalanx View Post

Yeah,  it is very similar to Google Wallet.   If you are familiar with how it works.  

I wouldn't say that it's very similar. Google sees and knows everything that you do, it's not private.

• Reply 17 of 48
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Your debit card is already linked to you bank account! Using apple pay with your debit card is def a lot safer than swiping you debit card at a pos reader. With pos terminal a debit swipe, you are literally almost inviting your bank account to be emptied!
    jungmark wrote: »

Edit: I meant debit card.
  • Reply 18 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Here's a list of CU's that Visa is working with:

http://usa.visa.com/clients-partners/technology-and-innovation/apple-pay/financial-institutions/index.jsp

I think I'd need a list from MasterCard on the credit unions they're working with... but this is a good list!

• Reply 19 of 48
    phalanxphalanx Posts: 109member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I wouldn't say that it's very similar. Google sees and knows everything that you do, it's not private.

Yeah, Apple would never monitor user info.    My bad.  

• Reply 20 of 48
    my barclay card activated fine with no issues.

when i activated my capital one card , i had to call capital one tech support and give them my credit card numbers to get them to activate the iPhone and it took 5 minutes or so. barclaycard activated with no issues