Microsoft continues ad assault on Apple's MacBook Air, features Lenovo in latest spot

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 92
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DewMe View Post

Even if you "need" Windows to run a Windows only application, it doesn't mean you need to buy a Windows PC, much less one of those hybrid monstrosities. The last good version of Windows, Windows 7, runs very nicely on any Intel Mac and remarkably well on VMWare Fusion. Now don't go jumping in about needing to run 16 instances of Photoshop against a 3 TB data set. I'm talking about a data set that you're likely to throw at a Surface flapjack without having to string a bunch of external gizmos to it. I've been very impressed with what VMWare can do on a modern Mac with decent memory. My VMs running on an iMac put my dedicated real hardware work PCs to shame.

I'm buying either Parallels or VM Ware to run Win 7 (two legacy Win apps I have to have), and my reading seems to indicate that VM Ware is a) more focused on playing nice with Enterprise than home power users and b) is considerably more nerdy to deal with....

....any thoughts on this ('cos I'd tentatively settled on Parallels)...??

PS: One thing I liked about Parallels is that I can install Windows under Boot Camp, and then have Parallels make a copy that will also work under Parallels and have three options:  1. Pure Win, 2. Pure Mac, 3. Coherence (or Unity - I forget which is Parallels' term of art).

Same under VM Ware...??

• Reply 82 of 92
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    bigpics wrote: »
    I'm buying either Parallels or VM Ware to run Win 7 (two legacy Win apps I have to have), and my reading seems to indicate that VM Ware is a) more focused on playing nice with Enterprise than home power users and b) is considerably more nerdy to deal with....

....any thoughts on this ('cos I'd tentatively settled on Parallels)...??

PS: One thing I liked about Parallels is that I can install Windows under Boot Camp, and then have Parallels make a copy that will also work under Parallels and have three options:  1. Pure Win, 2. Pure Mac, 3. Coherence (or Unity - I forget which is Parallels' term of art).

Same under VM Ware...??

I just prefer to use VMware at the moment even though I've use both for years as it is an American whereas Parallels is a Russian company. Sorry didn't answer you question ... Not sure ... I'd check their web site if I were you.
  • Reply 83 of 92
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 629member
    Microsoft continues what it is best known for... Complexity.
  • Reply 84 of 92
    Ladies and Gentlemen, may I have your attention please...

F*** LENOVO

Thank You and Have a Good Night
  • Reply 85 of 92

Rude. That's all I can say.

• Reply 86 of 92
    >the surface is several hundred $ more expensive! than the $799 mac book air
    >Sounds like MS is behaving like the 1990's apple to me

You need to compare apples to apples here - if you price 13" 8gb memory, 256gb SSD hard drive the price is exactly the same - $1299. But Yoga has more modern processor and HD display. They don't have lower priced versions as Apple does.
  • Reply 87 of 92
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I just prefer to use VMware at the moment even though I've use both for years as it is an American whereas Parallels is a Russian company. Sorry didn't answer you question ... Not sure ... I'd check their web site if I were you.

Yeah, I guess that any Russian company, whatever their motives and intent, is subject to pressure from the kleptocracy of Putin and Co. - and the country is no slouch in its gross national product of hackers.... ...hmmmm.  Thanks for the reminder... ...more to ponder.

That, and their frequent $50 upgrade cycle....

Meanwhile, couldn't wait to see about a Broadwell/Skylake retina MBA any longer, so just ordered my first new (well, Apple-refurbed) Mac in a number of years - a maxxed out i7/8GB/512GB 2013 MBA. 

Excited!  

• Reply 88 of 92
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Glasses Man View Post

F*** LENOVO

That's a ridiculous comment, shame on you.

• Reply 89 of 92
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator

F*** LENOVO

Lenovo owns Motorola now too, the deal closed this week:

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/hello-moto-the-true-story-behind-lenovo-s-biggest-buy-1249796
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/10/30/us-lenovo-motorola-idUSKBN0IJ10M20141030

They will keep the branding so buying a Moto X or the 360 watch will actually be boosting Lenovo's revenue. They are expanding by playing the low margin game. Net margin for them is 2%.

They'll undercut Dell and HP this way, which no doubt explains their marketshare numbers:

http://www.zdnet.com/lenovos-global-pc-market-share-hits-20-7000034499/

I wonder how long that strategy can hold out. I suppose it will just keep trundling along like the TV market does with low margins.
  • Reply 90 of 92
    Marvin wrote: »
    Lenovo owns Motorola now too, the deal closed this week:

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/hello-moto-the-true-story-behind-lenovo-s-biggest-buy-1249796
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/10/30/us-lenovo-motorola-idUSKBN0IJ10M20141030

They will keep the branding so buying a Moto X or the 360 watch will actually be boosting Lenovo's revenue. They are expanding by playing the low margin game. Net margin for them is 2%.

They'll undercut Dell and HP this way, which no doubt explains their marketshare numbers:

http://www.zdnet.com/lenovos-global-pc-market-share-hits-20-7000034499/

I wonder how long that strategy can hold out. I suppose it will just keep trundling along like the TV market does with low margins.

I like Lenevo, especially their ThinkPad line. I never had a single problem with any of my X serie notebooks, their built like tanks, in fact my X60T is still going strong after 7 years, updated it to 16GB of RAM, a Samsung 240GB SSD and a faster WiFi card, bullet proof. My X230T though is the real treat, runs OSX like it was made for it. It's the i7 version, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, touchscreen twisty screen (unfortuantly Lenovo discontinued their tablet version of the X series, not such a big deal as the i7 in it is really powerfull), I also have the battery slice that fits underneath, I get 16 hours of battery with the screen at full brightness, amazing. You can grab one with the same specs I have for only 1200 bucks now on Amazon, the i5 versions start at or around 600, great deal.

Those looking for a really good machine to develop on look no further, the X230T is the best their is as it's hardware is compatible with pretty much anything. I have Solaris 11, Android 4.4.4 (runs great, just use Intels Image), Arch Linux, Windows 8 and OSX Maverik (will update it when I get home) (like I said above, works flawlessly) running on it. Then if you add a ViDock to the PCI Express Card slot, I have the DIY ViDock, which means it doesn't have a case, just the pcie slot to PCI Express card, so I can use faster cards that require a more powerfull power source. Anyway you can add an external graphics card, I have a Nvidia GTX 760 but it can also run my Tesla and Quadro cards as well, even audio cards. Unfortuantly you don't get the full speed of the card because of the limitations in bus speed, it's stll a 100 times better. I don't know if you can buy the ViDock anymore but I see them on eBay every once in a while going for 150 bucks or so, at least that's where I got mine, the graphics cards as well. Dell just introduced a new External graphic card box, it's 300 bucks and can handle cards like a Nvidia Titan, another choice as it utilizes PCI Express as well.

ViDock without case, requires a powersource, any normal computer APU will work, make sure it's at least a 500W if your going to use a newer Nvidia or AMD card.
    53843.jpg

Here is a ViDock with case
    It-go-notebook-pci-slot-font-b-laptop-b-font-pci-express-font-b-external-b.jpg

Lenovo X230T
    ThinkPad-X230t-Laptop-PC-Front-View-3-gallery-845x475.jpg
  • Reply 91 of 92
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    relic wrote: »
    Those looking for a really good machine to develop on look no further, the X230T is the best their is as it's hardware is compatible with pretty much anything. I have Solaris 11, Android 4.4.4 (runs great, just use Intels Image), Arch Linux, Windows 8 and OSX Maverik (will update it when I get home) (like I said above, works flawlessly) running on it. Then if you add a ViDock to the PCI Express Card slot, I have the DIY ViDock, which means it doesn't have a case, just the pcie slot to PCI Express card, so I can use faster cards that require a more powerfull power source. Anyway you can add an external graphics card, I have a Nvidia GTX 760 but it can also run my Tesla and Quadro cards as well, even audio cards. Unfortuantly you don't get the full speed of the card because of the limitations in bus speed, it's stll a 100 times better. I don't know if you can buy the ViDock anymore but I see them on eBay every once in a while going for 150 bucks or so, at least that's where I got mine, the graphics cards as well. Dell just introduced a new External graphic card box, it's 300 bucks and can handle cards like a Nvidia Titan, another choice as it utilizes PCI Express as well.

This is all possible with the Macbook models, here's a 780ti run over TB2, which has more bandwidth than ExpressCard:

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 92 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

This is all possible with the Macbook models, here's a 780ti run over TB2, which has more bandwidth than ExpressCard:

Yeah, I know, just be warned that it will cost you a small fortune. A fully loaded Thinkpad X230Ti7-3520M, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, costs 1200, DIY ViDock 80 to 120, plus whatever you pay for the power supply and GPU, personally I would rather pay the 130 bucks more and get a Nvidia gtx 970 though, don't you agree. Also a comparable MacBook Pro 13" costs 2,000 with the i5-4308U, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, then your Sonnet costs $979, granted it's using ThunderPort so the external graphic card will run faster than the PCI Express interface. Anyway, there's nothing wrong with that, I think yours is much cooler than mine and I would love to to get one, I'm waiting for a Retina MacBook Air, than I will defiantly buy an external ThunderPort GPU box with a Nvidia Titan(not for gaming, GPU computation, there is a SMD resistors hack that will turn the Titan into a Tesla K20, now the K20 has ECC memory but the performance should still be their). Look, my point was, for a developer looking for a machine that is fast, has lots of memory, touchscreen and can pretty much run everything out there without fuss, including Android, even natively using Intel's Android 4.2.2 ROM(which means you can write and test your apps without using a VM, plus the X230 has a touch screen), built like a tank, has lots of accessories, like a very good docking station and a battery slice (77 bucks) that will boost your mobile productivity to 16 hours. I really wasn't comparing the MacBook Pro to ThinkPad X230T Marvin, it never even entered my mind when I wrote my comment. I was just talking about a good inexpensive development machine, that's all. Why, because it's a thread that contained a lot of talk about Lenovo. just sharing my feelings about some of their products.