No one here has an issue with the sleep / wake / power button reloaction?

Posted:
in iPhone edited November 2014

A week into my iPhone 6 plus and it's beginning to annoy the hell outta me. I believe this is a design flaw by Apple, placing the power button on the opposing side of the volume buttons. I always end up pressing the volume buttons. I am unable to see the wisdom of placing the buttons where the opposing force required by newton's third law would require pressure on both sets of buttons. I understand why Apple would want to relocate the power button on a bigger phone. However the power button is out of reach with one had operation, unlike on all previous iPhones. They include a double touch feature to shift the touch screen within thumb reach but they place a critical hardware feature out of thumb reach?

Designers at Apple, if you're reading this please relocate the power button within thumb reach. I'm not left-handed but please consider left hand users as well.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10

I don’t like it because every other iOS device of mine has it in the best place for it. But I disagree completely with your reasoning. It’s absolutely within reach.

• Reply 2 of 10
    kikkokikko Posts: 40member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I don’t like it because every other iOS device of mine has it in the best place for it. But I disagree completely with your reasoning. It’s absolutely within reach.

Would you mind showing us? How you hold your iPhone 6 plus with your thumb within reach of the home button AND power button without having to readjust your grip? I don't see how that's possible unless you have 4 inch thumbs.

• Reply 3 of 10

Oh, Plus. Sorry; missed that. Are you crazy? It’s not designed for one hand. It can’t be done.

The 6 works just fine without hitting the volume buttons, though.

You keep saying “thumb” with “power button” and “Home button”... You can’t seriously mean thumb for that, can you?

• Reply 4 of 10

First of all there is no such thing as using a device as large as this without manipulating it a bit. There is no way you didn't think of that before you purchased it.

if you are right handed, the button is designed to be easily reachable by the right thumb. If you are left handed, you should use your left index finger. 

?If a woman, you will need both hands. Unless you have the hands of a logger, and can split wood...

escanaba in da moonlight""

• Reply 5 of 10
    Originally Posted by ApplePieGuy View Post

if you are right handed, the button is designed to be easily reachable by the right thumb. If you are left handed, you should use your left index finger.

Or just when switching hands. It’s weird; so many right-handed people will always answer the phone on the left... I guess to free up the right hand for doing things.

?If a woman, you will need both hands.

Hi-yo!

• Reply 6 of 10
    kikkokikko Posts: 40member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ApplePieGuy View Post

First of all there is no such thing as using a device as large as this without manipulating it a bit. There is no way you didn't think of that before you purchased it.

?If a woman, you will need both hands. Unless you have the hands of a logger, and can split wood...

escanaba in da moonlight""

It's easy, move the power button near the the bottom of the screen and the volume buttons to where the power button is, problem solved. Keep the middle area clear for phone mounts.

Manipulating it a bit? Then why bother with Reachability? Obviously the software side had one hand use in mind, it's their hardware design team who's out of sync.

There is no way Apple didn't think of this before they released it. The power button is reachable with the right thumb, but the volume buttons will be pressed in the process. This is a obvious design flaw by Apple. A roommate of mine uses the Nokia Lumia 928 and his girlfriend a Galaxy Note 4. The Nokia has all it's buttons on the right side. The Note 4 has the power button slightly lower than the volume buttons. Now I understand why.

I've been using iPhones since 4 and also own a iPad Air. I'm not a Apple guy per se so I'm not afraid to call out a design flaw when I see one.

• Reply 7 of 10

no design flaw whatsoever. As a large phone, the iPhone 6+ is perfect in every way. Just as all ? products are.

All you have to do is bring up the adenoid crap phones as being a better design and your troll shit shines through.

Go buy a adenoid phone and go away, troll.

You have an iPad? I bet you don't think you should have to manipulate the iPad at all either, to reach any button huh? 

The 6+ is a BIG phone, you will need to move your hand a bit to use it. As a large phone, the iPhone 6s perfect in every way.

s/  If you are such a great design engineer, then why aren't you working for the greatest design team in the world? Why didn't you consult them when the 6+ was being designed.

Heaven knows the 6+ would then be better than the adenoid crap you brought up./s

• Reply 8 of 10

Android? Nokia is a Windows phone, I wasn't referring to OS but hardware design, lol. Anyways, people like you will still think a particular brand is great and perfect even if it blew up in your face.

iPad is not a phone, it's a tablet in case you didn't know, and I treat it as such.

• Reply 9 of 10

whatever, go play with your windows and adenoid crap. You are the fool for buying a phone that was too big to hang onto, or even manipulate in the least. 

My wife has no trouble at all with her 6+ 128GB. Nor does she have an issue with her iPad air 2 128gb device either.

• Reply 10 of 10

hmm... works fine for me as-is ... perhaps I'm just more coordinated than you. ;)