Apple issues first OS X 10.10.1 Yosemite beta seed to developers

Posted:
in macOS edited November 2014
Apple on Monday issued the first OS X 10.10.1 Yosemite beta to developers, with the first maintenance update seed coming more than two weeks after the latest Mac operating system saw release in mid-October.

With the first test version of Apple's upcoming Yosemite maintenance update, dubbed build 14B17, Apple asks developers to focus on Wi-Fi, Exchange accounts in Mail and Notification Center.

It is unclear exactly what Apple has fixed and changed in the latest Yosemite version, though users have been reporting issues with Wi-Fi connectivity and Bluetooth since upgrading to Yosemite. As for Mail, the first-party Apple app has historically seen problems with other services like Microsoft's Exchange and Google's Gmail.

Apple released OS X 10.10 Yosemite in October with support for advanced "Continuity" features that bring a new level of interoperability with portable devices running iOS 8. For example, users can handoff tasks between operating systems, set up instant wireless hotspots, place and answer phone calls from their Mac, send large files via AirDrop and much more.

Developers can access OS X 10.10.1 via the Mac App Store's software update mechanism.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    OMG! You can't add a second decimal point to that number¡ Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together, CEO [I]choosing[/I] to be gay… mass hysteria!¡
  • Reply 2 of 24
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Wifi connectivity has been the only issue for me.

I'm looking forward to iOS 8 bug fixes more than anything in regards to Yosemite.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    I have not found any bugs in Yosemite but it sure would be nice if they brought back a few things or at least allow users to choose whether or not to turn them on - like favicons in Safari. Trying to sort thru bookmarks without favicons is murder. I know it looks "cleaner" without them but usability . . . . meh!
  • Reply 4 of 24
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Some of the movie files that I had working perfectly under Snow Leopard no longer will open up in Yosemite.

I looked into it briefly, and I found out that it has something to do with Perian no longer supporting the newest Mac OSes.

I'm still looking for a replacement.

• Reply 5 of 24
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    Some of the movie files that I had working perfectly under Snow Leopard no longer will open up in Yosemite.

I looked into it briefly, and I found out that it has something to do with Perian no longer supporting the newest Mac OSes.

Years ago Perian recommended alternatives because the plugin was no longer going to be supported. I prefer to run everything though iVI Pro so they will be native to QT as H.264 but if you don't want to spend the nominal fee there is Handbrake, VLC, Movist, and countless other options available.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    shsfshsf Posts: 302member

good news, seems like the link is broken though. 

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Perian's off since mavericks, get vlc, works like a charm.

• Reply 7 of 24
    Software Update Pre-release: OS X Update Seed 10.10.1 (14B17)

Focus Areas:
    Wi-fi
    Exchange accounts in Mail
    Notification Center
  • Reply 8 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Software Update Pre-release: OS X Update Seed 10.10.1 (14B17)

Focus Areas:

Wi-fi

Exchange accounts in Mail

Notification Center

Where did you get that I am looking high and low in my dev account and nothing's either at https://developer.apple.com/devcenter/mac/index.action#downloads nor at https://developer.apple.com/downloads/index.action , and nothing comes up on the mac app store...

• Reply 9 of 24
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,296member
    I can perhaps help you with that, apple ][.

There is a newer version of Perian from another developer that seems to be compatible with Yosemite:

https://github.com/MaddTheSane/perian
  • Reply 10 of 24
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    shsf wrote: »

Where did you get that I am looking high and low in my dev account and nothing's either at https://developer.apple.com/devcenter/mac/index.action#downloads nor at https://developer.apple.com/downloads/index.action , and nothing comes up on the mac app store...

If you mean the update itself, it is in my software updates, downloading now.

... and I'm back, that was fast!
  • Reply 11 of 24
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    chasm wrote: »
    I can perhaps help you with that, apple ][.

There is a newer version of Perian from another developer that seems to be compatible with Yosemite:

https://github.com/MaddTheSane/perian

Thanks for that link! I will definitely check it out!

I am aware of other solutions, such as using third party apps like vlc, etc., but the best solution for me at least is to have them play in the quicktime player.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

If you mean the update itself, it is in my software updates, downloading now.

... and I'm back, that was fast!

Never appeared in mine, strange. Got it off a link from the OS X Betas support forums. Strange but said link, a delta update, from within apple itself, also works in a browser that I 'm not signed in with my dev account... That was fast for me too, almost as soon as I 'd clicked it, it'd downloaded.

• Reply 13 of 24
    koopkoop Posts: 337member
    Some wifi issues here. Also noticed a lag in animations on the 2014 Retina with Intel Iris. I hope Apple pays attention to performance here. It's one of the reasons why I choose Apple products.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    There is an issue where windowserver background process runs at high cpu until it freezes your system, especially on macs with external displays, hoping that has been fixed
  • Reply 15 of 24

I can confirm that this update has indeed fixed my Wifi issues connecting to WPA2-Enterprise in the office. 

After installing no drop outs at all.

• Reply 16 of 24
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member

Good to hear. I thought I was loosing my mind with the wifi issues! Also, the wired keyboard is not showing up on wake sometimes & I have to do a restart.

• Reply 17 of 24
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    I guess it's too much to hope for that they will get rid of the ridiculous animated-looking graphics? I mean it looks like Friz Freeling designed the whole look of it. It's really sad, with retina displays on almost all of the devices, and the look and feel is flat and neon-colored cartoon graphics, with no depth or detail to help differentiate layers, and buttons.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    mac_128 wrote: »
    I guess it's too much to hope for that they will get rid of the ridiculous animated-looking graphics? I mean it looks like Friz Freeling designed the whole look of it. It's really sad, with retina displays on almost all of the devices, and the look and feel is flat and neon-colored cartoon graphics, with no depth or detail to help differentiate layers, and buttons.

Good lord, Yosemite is sounding worse and worse with every complaint. Maybe I'll just stick with Mavericks.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    I decided to wait on this version of OS X. I'm glad I did.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyK View Post

I have not found any bugs in Yosemite but it sure would be nice if they brought back a few things or at least allow users to choose whether or not to turn them on - like favicons in Safari. Trying to sort thru bookmarks without favicons is murder. I know it looks "cleaner" without them but usability . . . . meh!

Favicons are still there. The only time when they're gone is in the location bar, and they show up there when you click into it. Everywhere else there's no change from Mavericks.