Amazon adds unlimited cloud photo storage for Prime members

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Amazon Cloud photos is not bad.   Haven't been too impressed the Photo Library although it's in Beta so I'm reserving judgment.

Truth be told i'm looking to move off of Cloud Storage as primary or secondary storage.  I view it as tertiary storage at best.  When I can get 4TB drives for $130 I don't see the need for my photos to be all in the Cloud (locked down).

I'm keeping my eye on where Transporter series is going.  They have a 5 Bay chassis coming and now is the time for a developer to deliver a great app that gives people the privacy and control they want.

The Cloud makes sense in many business context but for consumers it delivers increase latency, loss of control and a massive point of failure (internet) for access.

That Transporter Sync looks like an interesting option at $99 +BYO USB drive.  However it doesn't seem to offer much beyond what I get my with (more expensive) Time Capsule.  Unless I could convince an out of town family member to host a second one to radically improve my disaster recovery strategy.  Hmm.  Thanks for sharing the link.

• Reply 22 of 37
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,437member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

That Transporter Sync looks like an interesting option at $99 +BYO USB drive.  However it doesn't seem to offer much beyond what I get my with (more expensive) Time Capsule.  Unless I could convince an out of town family member to host a second one to radically improve my disaster recovery strategy.  Hmm.  Thanks for sharing the link.

I've been checking them out more once they came out with the Transporter Sync.  I'm with you on the placing a couple of these at remote places and syncing data to them for some lite DR.  

They have a Versions feature in the software that I'm keeping my eye on.   The more extensible it becomes the more useful the Transporters become.   

I also wonder if they'll be delivering an API for 3rd party vendors to use.  

• Reply 23 of 37
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

I've been checking them out more once they came out with the Transporter Sync.  I'm with you on the placing a couple of these at remote places and syncing data to them for some lite DR.

They have a Versions feature in the software that I'm keeping my eye on.   The more extensible it becomes the more useful the Transporters become.  

I also wonder if they'll be delivering an API for 3rd party vendors to use.

Maybe AI can be convinced to do a hand's on review.  I have concerns about how well it works with Apple's (ingenious) auto-save/versioning.  For example, I find myself having documents open on my MacBook in various states of un-saved-ness for literally months.  What would get synced to my other devices, and what would happen if I had a copy of the same document open on two different Macs?

And it's not obvious if the two biggest data collections I manage (iTunes and iPhoto) could take advantage of this.

• Reply 24 of 37
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,326member
    It's worth doing just to bankrupt Amazon more quickly & them out of the personal electronics space.
  • Reply 25 of 37
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member
    Quote:

Amazon Cloud photos is not bad.   Haven't been too impressed the Photo Library although it's in Beta so I'm reserving judgment. 

Truth be told i'm looking to move off of Cloud Storage as primary or secondary storage.  I view it as tertiary storage at best.  When I can get 4TB drives for $130 I don't see the need for my photos to be all in the Cloud (locked down).  

I'm keeping my eye on where Transporter series is going.  They have a 5 Bay chassis coming and now is the time for a developer to deliver a great app that gives people the privacy and control they want. 

The Cloud makes sense in many business context but for consumers it delivers increase latency, loss of control and a massive point of failure (internet) for access. 

Secondary location for an extra backup? Safe deposit box?

• Reply 26 of 37
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,437member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

Maybe AI can be convinced to do a hand's on review.  I have concerns about how well it works with Apple's (ingenious) auto-save/versioning.  For example, I find myself having documents open on my MacBook in various states of un-saved-ness for literally months.  What would get synced to my other devices, and what would happen if I had a copy of the same document open on two different Macs?

And it's not obvious if the two biggest data collections I manage (iTunes and iPhoto) could take advantage of this.

If I wasn't so lazy I would have noticed they already have a developer program with a second generation API 

http://www.filetransporter.com/app-developer/

they haven't rolled out their large partners yet either 

http://www.filetransporter.com/channel-partner/

Looks like the infrastructure is coming along.  I too am interested in how it integrates with native Auto Save. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

Secondary location for an extra backup? Safe deposit box?

Always a wise choice. 

• Reply 27 of 37
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

how do they keep you from storing other files there. Also just zip/stuff all your photos with a password to keep it from prying eyes or automatic systems.

• Reply 28 of 37
    h
  • Reply 29 of 37
    Originally Posted by joerecovering View Post

Low cost unlimited whoring is finally arriving.

Fixed.

Google and Apple will have no choice but to offer unlimited options.

Or they could, you know, respect their users’ privacy and NOT sell the data to pay for its upload.

• Reply 30 of 37
    h
  • Reply 31 of 37
    moreckmoreck Posts: 187member
    Aren't they already losing over a million dollars a year on Prime? Doesn't seem like the smartest business decision to me, but what do I know?
  • Reply 32 of 37
    Originally Posted by joerecovering View Post

So you are saying Amazon and Microsoft are selling photographs or scanning photos to sell advertising to subsidize their unlimited upload? I could see that with Google maybe, but do you have proof Amazon and Microsoft are doing that? Or are you just generally paranoid about such things?

I’m justifiably paranoid about such things, particularly with Amazon’s history of use of customer information.

• Reply 33 of 37

I have never used Amazon because it is costly. Currently I used CloudBacko Cloud Storage with unlimited space, unlimited storage, and no installation required.

• Reply 34 of 37
    It has become a universally accepted 'whitewashing,' whereby 'unlimited' must be claimed to be considered a valid contender. It has long been the case for internet service providers, and now has made its' way into the cloud industry. If you look at SaaS storage service reviews, by sites like PCMag , Cnet , or others you will see that this is almost always the case, and is not talked about nearly enough! Lack of transparency is one of the reasons this industry is getting a bad reputation (security issues aside of course.)
  • Reply 35 of 37
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member

If only Apple wouldn't be so cheap. I get that they make so much - but really?

• Reply 36 of 37
    Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

If only Apple wouldn't be so cheap. I get that they make so much - but really?

If only you would stop posting and leave forever.

• Reply 37 of 37

Here we have a software i.e. CloudBacko software which provides us service to backing up our data and make our data fully secured and protected. CloudBacko software is capable of combining free cloud storage from Google Drive, DropBox, OneDrive into a large single storage.

CloudBacko provides us zero loss of data, CloudBacko can do it by concurrent or sequential backup of your data to multiple destinations, including

> Amazon S3.

> AWS compatible storages.

> Google Cloud Storage.

> Google Drive.

> Microsoft Azure.

> Microsoft OneDrive.

> OpenStack, Rackspace Cloud Files.

> Dropbox.

> FTP / SFTP sites.

> external USB drive.

> local / mapped network drives.