Michael Fassbender next high-profile actor eyed for role of Steve Jobs

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2014
Following Christian Bale's exit from the hotly anticipated film about Apple's late co-founder, Michael Fassbender is now said to be in talks to take on the role of Steve Jobs.

Source: Variety

Steve Jobs

The makers of the Sony-produced film are currently in talks with Fassbender, according to Variety, which portrayed the negotiations as "early." Bale was reportedly in final discussions to take on the role of Jobs before he passed on the film this week, allegedly with the feeling that he wasn't the right actor for the part.

Fassbender is one of the fastest rising stars in Hollywood, taking on mainstream roles like Magneto in the "X-Men" series and the android David in "Prometheus," while also taking on more critically acclaimed roles in films such as "Inglourious Basterds" and "Shame." Last year, Fassbender was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor for his portrayal of the character Edwin Epps in "12 Years a Slave."

Bale wasn't the first high-profile actor to circle the project, only to ultimately exit. Prior to his interest, Leonardo DiCaprio was targeted for the part, but he too did not accept.

Other names that have been suggested for the role of Jobs have included Matt Damon, Ben Affleck and Bradley Cooper.

The troubled production also previously lost a director, as David Fincher left the film following a dispute with studio Sony. Now attached to direct is Danny Boyle, known for films such as "Trainspotting" and "Slumdog Millionaire," the latter of which won him an Oscar.

Oscar winning screenwriter Aaron Sorkin is handling the script, basing his screenplay on the authorized biography of Jobs by Walter Isaacson. The movie is said to feature three scenes leading up to Jobs's introduction of key product unveilings: the original Mac, NeXT, and the iPod.

Recent reports have also suggested that actor Seth Rogen is in final talks to play the part of Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    At least we're still looking at A-List actors.

Fassbender rocks but his fee will be huge after X-Men.

He's going to need to build more barrels to keep his money in.
  • Reply 2 of 36
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

If he's an A-list actor, that's a very long list.

• Reply 3 of 36
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,564member
    I put pictures of Steve and Michael side-by-side. They are very similar.
  • Reply 4 of 36
    For those of you like me who don't know actors names, here you go: https://www.google.com/search?q=Michael Fassbender&oq=Michael Fassbender&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.463j0j4&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8
  • Reply 5 of 36
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,695member

Considering he played Magneto, makes sense.  The way he bends and controls metal with his mind is about as close as you can get to a reality distortion field.

• Reply 6 of 36
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Graves View Post

For those of you like me who don't know actors names, here you go: https://www.google.com/search?q=Michael Fassbender&oq=Michael Fassbender&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.463j0j4&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8

At least in my experience, your URL brings up a search of all Michaels.  Jobs doesn't look much like Michael Keaton (who was surprisingly great as Batman in my opinion), Michael Buble, or Michael Landon.  On the other hand, he doesn't look anything like any of these pictures either: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Fassbender

• Reply 7 of 36
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    I've never seen him commit to a role like DDL, but I do believe is an excellent actor and looks close enough that if he can commit to the learning the mannerisms and voice of Steve Jobs he could be brilliant.
  • Reply 8 of 36
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

This is not a mass-market appeal blockbuster movie.   This movie, no matter how good it is, is not going to gross a lot of revenue.   His fee for this movie will be relatively small.    Nothing wrong with that, in fact it deserves respect.

Some A-list actors won't make a small film because they feel it sets a precedence that will lower their fee for the next film.   

• Reply 9 of 36
    22july2013 wrote: »
    I put pictures of Steve and Michael side-by-side. They are very similar.

I would never ask you to point someone out from a line up. they have nothing structurally similar.
  • Reply 10 of 36
    Why is it so important to make ANOTHER movie about jobs? So far none of them have been good...I can only hope the next one is. I would want it to contain his more recent life, not the early life.
  • Reply 11 of 36
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,285member
    Fassbender is a great choice to play the Steve.
  • Reply 12 of 36
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Perfect- much better actor than Bale who mumbles words.
  • Reply 13 of 36
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    canukstorm wrote: »
    Considering he played Magneto, makes sense.  The way he bends and controls metal with his mind is about as close as you can get to a reality distortion field.

That's a good one. They should also get Professor X to play Bill Gates, his nemesis.
  • Reply 14 of 36
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Steve was pretty unique looking. Wiz on the other hand - well a woz beard will do it for Seth.
  • Reply 15 of 36
    Looks are completely secondary and it takes only a few hours to change someone's appearance with makeup and wardrobe. Steve Jobs was essentially a suitless Magneto anyway. http://filmcutting.com/michael-fassbender-now-eyed-for-role-of-steve-jobs/
  • Reply 16 of 36
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    I had Fassbender in my list of random actors with beards, I mean my carefully chosen list of appropriate actors to play the part, but took him out on account of the beard being ginger:

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/51970/width/400/height/1000[/IMG]

I suppose they could just dye it. It's the Irish accent too though:

[VIDEO]

That's why I took Hugh Jackman out because his Australian accent is too strong (I like his beard though).

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/51973/width/600/height/1000[/IMG]
  • Reply 17 of 36
    Bale probably didn't want to do it because it would change his percieved acting style. He's always done action movies and thrillers, and he's just old enough to be sensitive about being chosen for old parts. He probably wants to keep his action movie status. It's amazing how Liam Neison has maintained that through the years.
  • Reply 18 of 36
    My guess is A-List actors will never bite since the script and biography on which it is based bites.
  • Reply 19 of 36
    ceek74ceek74 Posts: 324member

How about Noah Wyle?  Looks the part, pretty good actor.

• Reply 20 of 36
    Benedict Cumberbatch has the physicality and the intensity to play Steve Jobs. Benedict Cumberbatch is 6 feet tall; Steve Jobs is 6' 2".

http://i1.cdnds.net/13/10/618x348/star-trek-into-darkness-picture-benedict-cumberbatch.jpg