Apple releases first iOS 8.1.1 beta to developers with bug fixes

Posted:
in iPhone edited November 2014
Following the release of OS X 10.10.1 Yosemite beta, Apple on Monday issued the first developer beta for iOS 8.1.1 , the upcoming point release for the company's mobile operating system.

With iOS 8.1.1 beta, classified as build 12B432, Apple brings a number of bug fixes and performance improvements to its iPhone and iPad OS, according to the update's release notes.

Notably, display of blood glucose data has been temporarily disabled for the Health app as Apple works to add compatibility with devices that display the metric in mmol/L. Currently, the Health app does not allow manual input of data using that particular unit of measurement, so it will be removed to avoid confusion. While a fix is being engineered, third-party developers can still access the APIs, however.

Apple released iOS 8 in September, though the initial version rolled out with bugs in the HealthKit developer framework that prompted the delay of certain apps supporting the protocol. A subsequent iOS 8.0.1 release attempting to patch the problems was found to disable wireless connectivity and touch ID for the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus. Apple finally issued a stable iOS 8 version in iOS 8.0.2.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    icloud Drive is buggy.

I found apps that are supposed to sync with icloud drive frequently stopped syncing. Pages, Numbers, 1Password, Drafts 4 to name a few.

When app stopped syncing, it would look like the device has lost all the documents when in fact the documents are still sitting in the icloud. Lots of complaints in the apple forum.

Problem went away if I set icloud drive to 'OFF', re-set the iphone 6/iPad Air 2, and turn the icloud drive back to 'On'. Every apps would sync properly for a while and the sync would stop again.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    What are you talking about here, the released software or the Beta?
    wisely wrote: »
    icloud Drive is buggy.

I found apps that are supposed to sync with icloud drive frequently stopped syncing. Pages, Numbers, 1Password, Drafts 4 to name a few.

When app stopped syncing, it would look like the device has lost all the documents when in fact the documents are still sitting in the icloud. Lots of complaints in the apple forum.

Problem went away if I set icloud drive to 'OFF', re-set the iphone 6/iPad Air 2, and turn the icloud drive back to 'On'. Every apps would sync properly for a while and the sync would stop again.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

What are you talking about here, the released software or the Beta?

released ios.

• Reply 4 of 18
    I hope they include a permanent wifi fix. It's still sluggish on my 5S since updating to iOS 8.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    I hope they fix the Safari crash after entering the first two letters of a shortcut. That has been around since 8.0 and they still have not fixed it. I cannot use shortcuts for my email address.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    wisely wrote: »
    icloud Drive is buggy.

terun78 wrote: »
    I hope they include a permanent wifi fix. It's still sluggish on my 5S since updating to iOS 8.

siretman wrote: »
    I hope they fix the Safari crash after entering the first two letters of a shortcut. That has been around since 8.0 and they still have not fixed it. I cannot use shortcuts for my email address.

My family has reported no serious issues other than my son had some issue with his iPad Air. He restored his iPad Air and was fine.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    I would like if somebody with an iPad Air 2 would test Safari by having two shortcuts that have the same two letters at the start.

My family has reported no serious issues other than my son had some issue with his iPad Air. He restored his iPad Air and was fine.
  • Reply 8 of 18

IOS actually seems to be better from me than Mac OS as far as bugs go. However the Safari bug, where it locks up during text entry, sucks. I have a bug report in for that one and it is still open. Most of the bugs in iOS 8 seem to be less noticeable if you aren't looking closely.

So im hoping this release actually smooths things out. In forums like this I can get hit with the Safari lock up bug rather randomly and sometimes go for days not seeing a problem.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,279member

Hopefully, it will work better with older devices. I regret updating my iPad2. They should have left this off the list of devices that could get the update. Just too sluggish. I'm jealous of my wife who never updated hers from one of the iOS 6 versions.

• Reply 10 of 18
    siretman wrote: »

Hopefully I can get this beta installed to test soon as this is my second attempt to respond. Yep Safari hung up while writing my first response. By the way I see this particular bug when writing in a text box like this one. Generally it seems to be related to the use of a back space key and is near impossible to force to happen.

In your case you describe something a bit different. If you can in fact reproduce the problem then I'd suggest detailing everything including the step by step set of actions that leads to the hang up. With this info send Apple a bug report. There is always the possibility that this is a different sort of bug even though it sounds similar. Bug reports are especially useful when you can force the problem to happen every single time.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    mike1 wrote: »
    Hopefully, it will work better with older devices. I regret updating my iPad2. They should have left this off the list of devices that could get the update. Just too sluggish. I'm jealous of my wife who never updated hers from one of the iOS 6 versions.

On my iPad 3 it has been a mixed bag with some aspects of the machine obviously slower and others improved. I especially like that Safari is much snappier. I would not be surprised to see some minor performance improvements but would be happy to see the bugs gone instead.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    wizard69 wrote: »
    Hopefully I can get this beta installed to test soon as this is my second attempt to respond. Yep Safari hung up while writing my first response. By the way I see this particular bug when writing in a text box like this one. Generally it seems to be related to the use of a back space key and is near impossible to force to happen.

In your case you describe something a bit different. If you can in fact reproduce the problem then I'd suggest detailing everything including the step by step set of actions that leads to the hang up. With this info send Apple a bug report. There is always the possibility that this is a different sort of bug even though it sounds similar. Bug reports are especially useful when you can force the problem to happen every single time.
    Yes the bug happens when I enter data in a text box like the Appleinsider login box. I just tried to log in and Safari crashed after two letters of my shortcut for my email address which are the same two letters as my username shortcut. I reported this bug to Apple a couple of times and still no fix. I am really surprised by the long time this bug has persisted.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    waltgwaltg Posts: 90member
    I like others really regret updating my ipad2 to IOS8, it is so slow now that I'm afraid to update to the current version of 8.1!!! They should have NEVER had the ipad2 on the update, that is how bad it really is! I know of one person that said he doubted buying anymore Apple products because of this very same thing with his ipad2! Come on apple, not everyone has the most current thing out. My iPad 2 worked great up until this "downgrade"! Will this next release address some of these issues also???
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Wifi sync in iOS 8.1 fix would be great. Throughput currently shows around 1.2mbps using Menu Meters on my mac, when the mac transfers files between two OS X 10.10 macs at 10mbps or higher wirelessly though airport. For now I just resort back to USB cables for syncing my devices.
  • Reply 15 of 18

definite speed upgrade even if its minor in 8.1.1!

• Reply 16 of 18

speed upgrade with 8.1.1 :)

• Reply 17 of 18
    mike1 wrote: »
    waltg wrote: »
    I like others really regret updating my ipad2 to IOS8, it is so slow now that I'm afraid to update to the current version of 8.1!!! They should have NEVER had the ipad2 on the update, that is how bad it really is! I know of one person that said he doubted buying anymore Apple products because of this very same thing with his ipad2! Come on apple, not everyone has the most current thing out. My iPad 2 worked great up until this "downgrade"! Will this next release address some of these issues also???

I've been fortunate to not have any issues with iOS 8 on my iPad 2. I now have an Air 2 but my wife is still using the iPad 2 without any issues. Her 4S on the other hand has not faired so well with iOS 8 but that's probably got more to do with the device itself getting near the end of it's life due to regular use.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member

Our 1st gen iPad Mini seems to be running 8.1 fine so far.