Jawbone launches new 'UP3' fitness band and entry-level 'UP Move' activity tracker

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2015
Coming in just before the holiday shopping season, Jawbone on Wednesday announced two new fitness trackers with the basic $50 UP Move and advanced $180 UP3 band.

Dubbed by Jawbone as "the world's most advanced fitness tracker," the UP3 takes on the familiar wristband form factor of previous UP designs, but packs in a host of new sensors to monitor heart rate, temperature and more.

In addition to the usual accelerometer-based pedometer duties users have come to expect from a fitness device, the UP3 features a bio-impedance sensor package capable of measuring resting heart rates. Unlike other smart devices that employ optical heart rate sensors -- like Apple's upcoming Apple Watch -- the UP3 uses conductive pads that are in constant contact with a user's skin.

Aside from resting heart rate, the bio-impedance sensors can measure respiration, hydration levels and galvanic skin response. A change from last year is the ability to track skin and ambient temperatures, offering a new level of detail to biometric readings.

Algorithms are applied to raw sensor data to automatically detect the type of activity being performed for easy tracking and more accurate calorie expenditure calculations. Jawbone's app-based Smart Coach returns and is supposedly able to offer better personalized fitness tips with the additional sensor data.

The UP3 also includes sleep tracking, idle vibration alert, a silent vibration alarm and LED indicators.

With Bluetooth 4.0 connectivity and NFC, Jawbone claims the UP3 can get up to one week of use before needing to be recharged.

The UP3 is priced at $180 and is scheduled to start shipping in December.

Jawbone's UP Move is an entry-level offering similar in design to Misfit's Shine activity monitor. A circular pendant-style device, UP Move can be worn as a clip-on or fastened to a user's wrist via a band accessory.

Like other UP products, the Move does not feature a display, but instead conveys information through 12 white LEDs disposed on its face. Arranged on the periphery of the device face, the lights allow for at-a-glance viewing of fitness goals and the current time. In addition, orange and blue LEDs denote current mode and device status.

With the UP app, users can track steps, calories burned and sleep statistics. Using Bluetooth 4.0 for syncing, the button cell battery is rated for a six month life span.

The UP Move is priced at $50 and ships in mid-November.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    The wearables market is pretty much dead until the Watch launches, everyone is in a 'wait and see' pattern.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    The wearables market is pretty much dead until the Watch launches, everyone is in a 'wait and see' pattern.

I do agree with your wait and see comment. I'm leaning heavily toward the Fitbit Charge HR but will wait and see for more details on ?Watch features and usability, and potentially even test one out, first. Of course, if the Charge HR was available today I wouldn't be waiting for it; it's only because it also has an Early 2015 release that I might as well hold off.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    I actually would rather get this and skip the Apple Watch. The Apple Watch will be a first gen device. Apple has historically shown that their first gen devices are very conservative compared to their next versions. So, I want the up band now and then in a year or two get the apple watch.
  • Reply 4 of 28
    inklinginkling Posts: 772member
    I've still yet to see what I want%u2014one I can put on my ankle that'll vibrate when I call comes in or an alarm goes off. It'd be great for places that hate cell phone ringing and for couples where one must get up early.

It wouldn't have to cost much and the battery would last for weeks%u2014unlike these smartwatches.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Seriously?

• Reply 6 of 28

Well I hope this reaches the Philippines.

• Reply 7 of 28
    I think we are seeing a move away from 'wearables' to 'wellness bands' and watches with more and less smart features. Withings new 'watch' being an interesting exception to the rule - it's more a wellness band in the style of a watch, where the other bands are not even trying to be watches any more - they can't, watches are too expensive to make nicely. Enter Apple with the first real watch, and Shine and UP Move as a wearable not a watch at all. It's going to be interesting.
  • Reply 8 of 28
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    I am a fan o apple products and own a MacBook Pro, 2 iPads a ip6+ and until these wrist bands came out I seriously thought I'd wait until the apple watch debuts , but now I'm not so sure . Esp now that I know the apple watch has no GPS. GPS is a must have so I will be buying the Microsoft. Band for christmas especially since it integrates with health kit on the iPhone. I'm not one of these die hard apple advocates. When I read that article about apple being like a church it made a lot of sense to me because I can see how members of a church have fanatical allegiance to thir religion. I have never been one to give up my seniority to an organization to the point where I lose my objectivity. I believe you have indeed done so with your statement that wearables are dead until the apple watch comes out. But of course the future will tell us that.

• Reply 9 of 28
    paul94544 wrote: »
    I am a fan o apple products and own a MacBook Pro, 2 iPads a ip6+ and until these wrist bands came out I seriously thought I'd wait until the apple watch debuts , but now I'm not so sure . Esp now that I know the apple watch has no GPS. GPS is a must have so I will be buying the Microsoft. Band for christmas especially since it integrates with health kit on the iPhone. I'm not one of these die hard apple advocates. When I read that article about apple being like a church it made a lot of sense to me because I can see how members of a church have fanatical allegiance to thir religion. I have never been one to give up my seniority to an organization to the point where I lose my objectivity. I believe you have indeed done so with your statement that wearables are dead until the apple watch comes out. But of course the future will tell us that.

Oh yes, you're so right, I totally worship Apple, which is why I have every new Mac that comes out, and own twelve iPads, and sixty billion iPods. /s

Why do you think everyone is launching their new products next year, and not before the Christmas shopping season? It's because there won't be a market. Apple is the big player here, and people will wait and see to hear more about the Watch.

There's also a lot of people who don't see the need for a wearable yet. Obviously the current players haven't done anything to convince them.
  • Reply 10 of 28
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    You use of the word 'everyone' is interesting. That tells 'everyone' on here all they need to know about you lol
  • Reply 11 of 28
    Quote:

Oh yes, you're so right, I totally worship Apple, which is why I have every new Mac that comes out, and own twelve iPads, and sixty billion iPods. /s

Why do you think everyone is launching their new products next year, and not before the Christmas shopping season? It's because there won't be a market. Apple is the big player here, and people will wait and see to hear more about the Watch.

There's also a lot of people who don't see the need for a wearable yet. Obviously the current players haven't done anything to convince them.

What are you talking about?  Fitbit just announced the Charge which is coming out this year.  Microsoft just released their band, this very article is about a launch from Jawbone.  Wearables are the hottest thing in the tech media right now, lots of people wear them, including Tim Cook wearing the Nike Fuel Band.  I'm sure the iWatch will be a major entry into the market, but I don't see any slowdown or waiting, it's been non-stop news and launches of new products.

• Reply 12 of 28
    techguy911 wrote: »
    What are you talking about?  Fitbit just announced the Charge which is coming out this year.  Microsoft just released their band, this very article is about a launch from Jawbone.  Wearables are the hottest thing in the tech media right now, lots of people wear them, including Tim Cook wearing the Nike Fuel Band.  I'm sure the iWatch will be a major entry into the market, but I don't see any slowdown or waiting, it's been non-stop news and launches of new products.

The Charge is next year, or can you read? Jawbone is a bit player.

And I'm sure the Microsoft Band will be a smashing success like every other MS hardware project, and return billions to the corporate coffers. /s

Nike is partnering with Apple, if you hadn't noticed. Remember how they fired their own hardware team? And I'm pretty sure Tim wears a Watch these days.
  • Reply 13 of 28
    Quote:

The Charge is next year, or can you read? Jawbone is a bit player.

And I'm sure the Microsoft Band will be a smashing success like every other MS hardware project, and return billions to the corporate coffers. /s

Nike is partnering with Apple, if you hadn't noticed. Remember how they fired their own hardware team? And I'm pretty sure Tim wears a Watch these days.

I think you misread, the Charge is this year.  The Charge HR and Surge is next year.  You see, there is a wording difference between "Charge", "Charge HR", and "Surge".

Here are some references if you want to re-read:

http://gizmodo.com/fitbit-charge-tracker-is-finally-here-charge-hr-and-su-1650995353

http://blog.fitbit.com/fitbit-charge-charge-hr-surge-welcome-to-a-whole-new-world-of-fitness/

http://www.techlicious.com/blog/hands-on-with-fibit-charge-charge-hr-surge/

• Reply 14 of 28
    Quote:

Originally Posted by techguy911 View Post

I think you misread, the Charge is this year.  The Charge HR and Surge is next year.  You see, there is a wording difference between "Charge", "Charge HR", and "Surge".

Here are some references if you want to re-read:

http://gizmodo.com/fitbit-charge-tracker-is-finally-here-charge-hr-and-su-1650995353

http://blog.fitbit.com/fitbit-charge-charge-hr-surge-welcome-to-a-whole-new-world-of-fitness/

http://www.techlicious.com/blog/hands-on-with-fibit-charge-charge-hr-surge/

And again, the majority of people don't care. These wearable companies simply haven't drawn people in. Sure, there will be some sales, but the majority of people will wait. I'm not the only one saying this.

Of course, the ultimate majority of people aren't interested in any wearable...yet. Give them time. Thirteen years ago the majority of people saw no reason for an MP3 player, and seven years ago the majority saw no reason to own a smartphone.

• Reply 15 of 28

Looks nice, but I don't see anything on whether it will integrate with Healtkit, or if it only works with the Jawbone app.

• Reply 16 of 28
    Quote:

And again, the majority of people don't care. These wearable companies simply haven't drawn people in. Sure, there will be some sales, but the majority of people will wait. I'm not the only one saying this.

Of course, the ultimate majority of people aren't interested in any wearable...yet. Give them time. Thirteen years ago the majority of people saw no reason for an MP3 player, and seven years ago the majority saw no reason to own a smartphone.

You are wrong. People are already buying these products. Otherwise these companies would not be on their 2nd, 3rd version with more companies joining in such as JayBird with Reign.

Wearables sales tripled in a year—and will grow 500 percent by 2018, study says

http://www.techhive.com/article/2142288/wearables-sales-tripled-in-a-year-will-grow-500-percent-by-2018-study-says.html

• Reply 17 of 28

I don't know  about the everyone is in a wait and see pattern. Microsofts band sold out within hours of going onsale . I think its more of a price vs features.  I still see people refreshing microsofts web page constantly hoping that new stock would show up.  I think having a fitness band over $100 that doesn't do more then track things will be a hard sell. You have the Microsoft band at $200 then you have the apple watch above that.

• Reply 18 of 28
    sirlance99 wrote: »
    You are wrong. People are already buying these products. Otherwise these companies would not be on their 2nd, 3rd version with more companies joining in such as JayBird with Reign.

<h1 style="color:rgb(34,34,34);margin-bottom:12px;margin-top:0px;">Wearables sales tripled in a year—and will grow 500 percent by 2018, study says</h1>

http://www.techhive.com/article/2142288/wearables-sales-tripled-in-a-year-will-grow-500-percent-by-2018-study-says.html

U R RITE, CLEARLY.

I love meaningless statistics like "sales tripled". So they went from 50 a week to 150?
  • Reply 19 of 28
    So does it integrate into healthkit or just their own app? As a fitness tracker it sounds like a good one, but I don't know if I want to wear a watch and this. It is nice as a standalone device where it sounds like the apple watch will mostly need to be tethered to your phone.
  • Reply 20 of 28
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    So does it integrate into healthkit or just their own app? As a fitness tracker it sounds like a good one, but I don't know if I want to wear a watch and this. It is nice as a standalone device where it sounds like the apple watch will mostly need to be tethered to your phone.

Jawbone's iOS app has Health app support.