Rumor: Gold Apple Watch Edition priced up to $5,000, steel version at $500, will debut on Feb. 14

Comments

• Reply 161 of 247
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    The only problem I see is if the internal CoC is being replaced there won't be as much hype around the "new version of the ? Watch" as there is with all the other products.

I disagree. There is hype around new watches every year yet they tell time just like the previous models. If they keep coming out with new styles that use the same internals (they could even change up the display shape and size so long as they support older designs) there very well could be a collectible market the way there are plenty of people that collect watches and other jewelry. The way I see to bury that possibility is to not make it upgradable.
  • Reply 162 of 247
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

And in 5 years when Apple stops supporting it and the battery won't hold a charge anymore, it will be worth $100.

yeah, because its not like its made of SOLID GOLD or anything.... did you pause to think before you posted that??

(6 upvotes for this nonsense?)

• Reply 163 of 247
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

I honestly don’t see how people are going to spend that much for an accessory to the iPhone if the tech will be outdated every year. The only way I see that happening is by making their S-series computer-on-a-chip replaceable, like a watch batter, so that you can update the performance and capabilities, without buying a new device.

That is very difficult engineering, but I think it would have the added bonus of allowing Apple to create completely new looks each year that many would want to collect. I really have to think Apple knows that a luxury item that is also jewelry can’t effectively be repurchased every year, losing support in 3 years, and teetering on being obsolete within 5 years, so I am going to say that is part of the ?Watch design.

if only apple had thought of these issues and was capable of modular electronics. oh, wait.....

• Reply 164 of 247
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    if only apple had thought of these issues and was capable of modular electronics. oh, wait.....

Thought of and was able to implement are very different things.

Would you have expected them to announce that the computer and battery (and other components) will be useful for decades, like a traditional watch, due to a long-term vision and module design. I think that such a feat of unprecedented engineering would warrant a few minutes of discussion.
  • Reply 165 of 247
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    ascii wrote: »

Photographs never do justice to jewellery items. You have to see them in person to really appreciate the craftsmanship.

Oh- is that the problem? I'm looking at it wrong? :\
  • Reply 166 of 247
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingsoc View Post

However, people are not "stupid" to think that Apple haven't addressed all of these issues. As far as we know, at the moment, they have not. They might - and they probably will - but at this point we don't know anything about how Apple will handle something as crucially important to a smart watch as obsolescence.

no -- people are completely stupid to think that apple hasnt addressed these. to assume the biggest, most profitable, most successful, most beloved company in the history of the world hasnt thought of these issues is beyond idiotic. 

• Reply 167 of 247
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,301member
    Let's first find out if the Apple Watch even become a significant mainstream hit. Millennials hardly ever wear watches anymore, and older adults depend on everything from a Swatch to
    a Patek. This new Apple device isn't a slam dunk.
  • Reply 168 of 247
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post

The only thing I have a complaint about is the name 'Edition'. It seems incomplete. Call it the 'Gold Edition', the 'Limited Edition', some edition.

Well at least in 2016 it can be:

• Reply 169 of 247
    cnocbui wrote: »
    b9bot wrote: »

Tim Cook said in the keynote that the Apple Watch will start at $350. Did anybody listen or pay attention?

Sorry, what was that?

I think he was saying that...no, sorry. I've lost it again.
  • Reply 170 of 247
    pfisher wrote: »
    Any placing bets that the iWatch will bomb?

It looks like it will have lackluster response.

I hope they were asking themselves why people need one.

My $25 Casio performs admirably and who needs to extend their phone to a watch?

Making life easier by making it more complicated.

I predict it will bomb.
  • Reply 171 of 247
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Those are all different SKUs based on appearance. This is atypical for Apple. Were you one of those people that said it would be single one-size-and-style-fits-all, like with other smartwatches?

"One size fits all" means "one size fits one demographic": the gadget geek squad. When Gear was released, Samsung had an ad where two skier dudes try to get the blonde girl's attention, and Mr. Smooth has his Galaxy Gear watch, and this obviously impressed the blonde. The message is undeniable: get a Gear and girls will talk to you.

What Apple has done with their fashion-conscious active-lifestyle watch is create something that the blonde skier girl in that ad would wear, even if she could only afford the Sport. The 38mm size and bevy of fashionable bands for any occasion make it one of the few smartwatches that could transcend the male gadget enthusiast demographic.

Apart that the 38mm version is far too big for the average female wrist.
  • Reply 172 of 247
    roake wrote: »

I don't think that word means what you think it means.
    Watches are from the steam era. Round pocket watches near the beginning, round wrist watches near the end of the era.
    There is no reason watches are round today except nostalgia.
    Amplify this nostalgia and you get steampunk.

Not so.

The reason most watches are round is because it's the natural shape for a clock. It also intrinsically looks better on a wrist than a square. Our eyes are made up of curves, not straight lines and right angles.
  • Reply 173 of 247

• Reply 174 of 247

Quite.

That thing is an eyesore on her wrist.
  • Reply 175 of 247
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    I predict it will bomb.
    Do you want to go on record with a more specific prediction? Does bomb mean that by the end of 2016 Apple with drop the watch line? Does it mean they will sell fewer than 100,000? A million?
  • Reply 176 of 247
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quite.

I find that dress quite ugly and she looks unhealthy. So what do I know about high fashion.
  • Reply 177 of 247
    ingsocingsoc Posts: 212member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Quite.

I'm not a huge fan of the dress (except the cuffs), but the watch looks great. Nice size, and blends in well with the outfit.

Most of the model shots containing Apple Watch actually look really good. It looks better when actually worn versus on its own (which, I suppose, could be said for most watches...)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

no -- people are completely stupid to think that apple hasnt addressed these. to assume the biggest, most profitable, most successful, most beloved company in the history of the world hasnt thought of these issues is beyond idiotic. 

Wait a second - I don't see anyone implying that Apple hasn't thought of these issues. Of course they have. I'm saying that, at the moment, there's no evidence of these issues being addressed.

Can you tell me how Apple plans to manage obsolescence with Apple Watch? No? Right - thank you.

It's not a question of whether or not they have thought about it - they can think whatever they like. It's a question of what they will actually do to address these concerns with their product. What matters is the rubber hitting the road, so to speak.

• Reply 178 of 247
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I predict it will bomb.

Not a change.  Ask yourself, when was the last time an Apple product bombed?  Apple could take a shit in a box and fans would line up outside to be one of the first to own the new iTurd and have all the Apple employees cheer for them while the news takes their picture.  And not to be outdone, Samsung would come out with their own sTurd shortly thereafter.

• Reply 179 of 247
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,884member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by alcstarheel View Post

Can't wait to get that gold one!

When I sell a limb or two image (not the arm though)

If they do announce some sort of maintenance schedule to upgrade the watch then I would seriously consider the gold. It'll be like nothing else.

The only problem I see is if the internal CoC is being replaced there won't be as much hype around the "new version of the ? Watch" as there is with all the other products.

"New ? Watch internals just annouced. Be prepared to wait in line to..uhh..get your watch updated."

Realistically I'm targeting the sport model. I want to wear it when doing my extracurricular activities.

If robust upgradability is actually offered it will probably be on the Edition line only and it (the upgrade) will probably cost about as much as the sport or even steel versions.  Without a promise of upgradability in perpetuum, my guess is the Edition line would be dead in the water.  Very few people will buy a 5 grand thingy that is guaranteed to be a very shiny paperweight in five years.

• Reply 180 of 247
    judasjudas Posts: 14member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

I honestly don’t see how people are going to spend that much for an accessory to the iPhone if the tech will be outdated every year. The only way I see that happening is by making their S-series computer-on-a-chip replaceable, like a watch batter, so that you can update the performance and capabilities, without buying a new device.

That is very difficult engineering, but I think it would have the added bonus of allowing Apple to create completely new looks each year that many would want to collect. I really have to think Apple knows that a luxury item that is also jewelry can’t effectively be repurchased every year, losing support in 3 years, and teetering on being obsolete within 5 years, so I am going to say that is part of the ?Watch design.

I already stated this as the likely option right after it came out. I also agree and don't see this kind of pricing and lifetime of product working without a replaceable SoC.