Verizon, AT&T pledge Voice Over LTE interoperability coming in 2015

Posted:
in iPhone edited November 2014
The two largest carriers in the U.S., Verizon and AT&T, both announced on Monday that they plan to allow Voice Over LTE connections between customers on the two competing networks starting in 2015.

VoLTE interoperability between Verizon and AT&T is scheduled to arrive in 2015, though the companies didn't say exactly when. The all-IP connection, supported by Apple's new iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, provides superior call quality when compared to traditional cellular voice calls.

Engineers from both AT&T and Verizon are said to be working through a full set of requirements, set to begin with extensive testing in lab environments before moving on to field trials. The efforts will reportedly lay the foundation for other interoperability features including video calls and rich messaging.

"Interoperability among all VoLTE providers takes connectivity to the next level with HD quality voice and additional features that customers want," said Tony Melone, chief technology officer at Verizon. "We're pleased to be working with AT&T as our first interoperating carrier, and we look forward to working with other operators as VoLTE continues to grow."

AT&T has launched VoLTE services in initial markets, with more planned to come. Verizon introduced its Advanced Calling 1.0 services across the U.S. in September.

Verizon iPhone 6 users can take advantage of Advanced Calling 1.0 HD Voice and video calling by adding the free services to their account via the carrier's website. For AT&T customers, support is automatically available when connected in a supporting market.

Users to navigate to the the Settings application on their iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus, and select "Cellular > Enable LTE > Voice & Data" to turn on the feature.

However, currently Verizon and AT&T customers who enable VoLTE will only be able to establish connections with other supporting customers on their same network. That will change at some point in 2015, when both Verizon and AT&T begin supporting VoLTE interoperability.

"Interoperability of VoLTE between wireless carriers is crucial to a positive customer experience," said Krish Prabhu, president, AT&T Labs and Chief Technology Officer, AT&T. "Customers expect to be able to connect anywhere, anytime- and as LTE technology continues to evolve, it's imperative that we provide a seamless experience between carriers. We are pleased to work with Verizon on this initiative."

In addition to VoLTE, the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus support Wi-Fi calling, a new iOS 8 feature that lets users place voice calls over Wi-Fi data networks. T-Mobile announced support for Wi-Fi calling in June, while AT&T promised its network will be compatible next year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

Sometime in 2015? I hope they don't over work themselves.

• Reply 2 of 16
    roakeroake Posts: 811member

September 25, 2015 - AT&T Announces WiFi Calling for only $40.00/month additional charge per plan and $20.00/month additional per line for plans that include more than one line.  Paying these fees to AT&T generously allows iPhone users to use the hardware that they have paid for to make calls over their home WiFi, which they have also paid for.

• Reply 3 of 16
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roake View Post

September 25, 2015 - AT&T Announces WiFi Calling for only $40.00/month additional charge per plan and $20.00/month additional per line for plans that include more than one line.  Paying these fees to AT&T generously allows iPhone users to use the hardware that they have paid for to make calls over their home WiFi, which they have also paid for.

LOL. They will do that. What's WiFi calling for? Most of my calls are to other iOS device. Who gives the fck about WiFi callings since I've already been using FaceTime Audio and also most ATT plans are unlimited Talk and Text.

• Reply 4 of 16

Who really cares about this? iOS devices already had FaceTime audio which is WiFi callings on top of unlimited talk/text plans. If this is used to call those without iOS devices and only if you don't have cell signal to make a regular call, it'll be rarely used.

• Reply 5 of 16
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

LOL. They will do that. What's WiFi calling for? Most of my calls are to other iOS device. Who gives the fck about WiFi callings since I've already been using FaceTime Audio and also most ATT plans are unlimited Talk and Text.

Wifi calling is so they don't have to build as many towers to handle increased LTE usage. 

• Reply 6 of 16
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    fallenjt wrote: »
    Who really cares about this? iOS devices already had FaceTime audio which is WiFi callings on top of unlimited talk/text plans. If this is used to call those without iOS devices and only if you don't have cell signal to make a regular call, it'll be rarely used.

Not getting why wifi calling was brought up when the main of the article talks about VoLTE.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Not getting why wifi calling was brought up when the main of the article talks about VoLTE.

I agree. If VoLTE only works with LTE data networks, then it does nothing for me. I barely have 1 bar of cellular reception at my house and no LTE. I'd rather they work on VoWiFi (I know that's VOIP). Even if they get both of these to work, many of my calls are to people who aren't on cell phones (yes, there are a lot of those people plus businesses). 

• Reply 8 of 16
    cpsro wrote: »
    Sometime in 2015? I hope they don't over work themselves.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2014/09/10/us-capital-spending-ranking/15335991/
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Just to respond to a poster right above me...about Wifi calling.

• Reply 10 of 16
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

I agree. If VoLTE only works with LTE data networks, then it does nothing for me. I barely have 1 bar of cellular reception at my house and no LTE. I'd rather they work on VoWiFi (I know that's VOIP). Even if they get both of these to work, many of my calls are to people who aren't on cell phones (yes, there are a lot of those people plus businesses). 

Same here. Luckily, ATT sent me a 3G Microcell for free when I threatened to cancel all 3 ATT lines...lol. Been using Microcell since the last 6 years.

• Reply 11 of 16
    fallenjt wrote: »
    Just to respond to a poster right above me...about Wifi calling.

I should have been more clear. I think the article broaching wifi calling in a VoLTE discussion is rediculous. One has nothing to do with the the other and felt like a needless plug for the iPhone 6 or T-Mobile.

Edit: typo
  • Reply 12 of 16
    People here aren't getting why this is such a big deal! Finally, video will be a standardized feature. No special software. Interoperability between brands, networks, and nations. In a few years, everyone will have a capable phone and anyone they call will be able to receive the call and its advanced features including video, HD voice, and data. The advanced nature of the standard even allows for services that haven't even been dreamt of yet. It is truly revolutionary and about time! This is Jetsons technology coming of age!
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Originally Posted by PeterAlt View Post

Interoperability between brands, networks, and nations. In a few years, everyone will have a capable phone and anyone they call will be able to receive the call and its advanced features including video, HD voice, and data.

But they’ve said the opposite. There’s nothing to lead me to believe that the telecoms will care about standardizing anything.

• Reply 14 of 16

But they’ve said the opposite. There’s nothing to lead me to believe that the telecoms will care about standardizing anything.

How have they said the opposite? VOLTE is a public domain standard. It's still up to the individual carriers to connect their networks and make sure there's cross-compatibility. The fact the two biggest carriers just agreed to such a thing is an encouraging sign that others will follow and join in.

This is the beginning of standardization.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Originally Posted by PeterAlt View Post

It's still up to the individual carriers to connect their networks and make sure there's cross-compatibility. 

I’ll believe it when I see it.

• Reply 16 of 16
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    I’ll believe it when I see it.

If it's the future of telecommunications, then it has to be standardized like phone calls, and SMS/MMS are. It might not happen right away, but will eventually.