New AppleCare for Enterprise website features IBM IT support, suggests imminent rollout

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33

I predict that Apple will someday merge with IBM because Watson will become essential for Apple and they will need to own it.

IBM will handle the corporate world while Apple takes care of consumers.  Apple may even port Cocoa to AIX on POWER 8.

IBM's advanced technologies will be much easier to use and much better positioned for the corporate world.

These 2 companies are so complementary it's not even funny. 

• Reply 22 of 33
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    shsf wrote: »
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Swift + Beats + </span>
    Apple Watch <span style="line-height:1.4em;">+ A8X + IBM = Thermonuclear </span>

Beats? There's nothing thermonuclear about Beats.
  • Reply 23 of 33

I predict that Apple will someday merge with IBM because Watson will become essential for Apple and they will need to own it.

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">IBM will handle the corporate world while Apple takes care of consumers.  Apple may even port Cocoa to AIX on POWER 8.</span>

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">IBM's advanced technologies will be much easier to use and much better positioned for the corporate world.</span>

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">These 2 companies are so complementary it's not even funny. </span>

Corporate cultures are too different. I'd prefer they remain partners, no need to merge.
  • Reply 24 of 33
    cali wrote: »
    Oh Apple!! Clawing at that remaining %3 enterprise share huh??

I LOVE IT!!

Having iPads and iPhones in 97% of the Enterprise does not remotely mean you have 97% of the Enterprise. Apple is going to push OS X and iOS into the Enterprise, piggy-backing on Big Blue and Power8.

You are absolutely correct. Apple's presence in some of those 97% may be down in the single digits, but I like my rose-colored glasses and will continue to hum a happy tune while IBM works to increase those percentages where it matters most.
  • Reply 25 of 33

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">IBM will handle the corporate world while Apple takes care of consumers.  Apple may even port Cocoa to AIX on POWER 8.</span>

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">IBM's advanced technologies will be much easier to use and much better positioned for the corporate world.</span>

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">These 2 companies are so complementary it's not even funny. </span>

Corporate cultures are too different. I'd prefer they remain partners, no need to merge.

I agree with you. Not only are the cultures too different, but Apple would rather partner then own; everyone doing what they do best! That said, it would be such a glorious day if Apple did buy IBM... this coming from an Apple fan since the early '80s... I will have lived to see this thing go full circle.
  • Reply 26 of 33
    Apple... please open source WebObjects!!! This will drive considerable enterprise growth.

PLEASE.
  • Reply 27 of 33

Excited to see how fast this is adopted and where it turns up. 

During the last investor call Tim made it sound like they had some big players who were interested in and working on rolling iOS devices out as a result of the IBM deal.

AND, doing so in this current quarter.
  • Reply 28 of 33
    cali wrote: »
    I guess there's not many "real" businesses. :(
    That was a /s comment. Just thought it was so obvious it wasn't needed.
  • Reply 29 of 33
    pigybank wrote: »

I typed "Surface RT" not surface pro. That's why you didn't get the joke.
  • Reply 30 of 33
    I typed "Surface RT" not surface pro. That's why you didn't get the joke.

Joke? Don't quit your day job.
  • Reply 31 of 33
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VanFruniken View Post

I just hope IBM's new apps will get enough public exposure such that the average home consumer has an idea of what's available. The BYOD effect also emanated from the home user who preferred Apple hardware at home over what the IT people were trying to shove down employees' and managers' throats at work.

When buying a personal computer, the "average home consumer" typically chooses the same thing they use at work for these reasons

1. To be able to use all the same applications without having to relearn anything

2. To get free tech support from the IT people

You want the average home consumer to choose the Mac, then the goal should be to make Macs the computer of choice for key people at work including managers, directors and C level officers.  Getting Macs adopted from the top levels of the company downward is better than unnamed employees constantly trying to sneak Macs into the office and whining that IT won't help them connect to the network or access the servers.

• Reply 32 of 33
    pigybank wrote: »
    Joke? Don't quit your day job.

What? Don't quit your... Oh, hahhahhahaha!!

Wow, that was pretty good. (I won't put an /s and see if you infer this time.)
  • Reply 33 of 33
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,267member
    Well a lot of corporate IT departments are run by people that only understand Microsoft products. So this partnership helps stem the surface pro cheerleaders in the IT dungeons. It gives ios some exec cred. So when the ms certified nerd says " we need to shift from apple to surface!" The exec says "but IBM!"