Evidence shows Apple operating a mysterious Web crawling bot

Comments

• Reply 21 of 104
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    droidftw wrote: »
    But isn't there only one golang?

Yes. Why doesn't this surprise me?
    In November 2009, Google released a similarly named Go programming language (with no exclamation point). McCabe asked Google to change the name of their language and accused the company of "steam-rolling over us". The issue received attention among technology news websites, with some of them characterizing Go! as "obscure".
  • Reply 22 of 104
    normmnormm Posts: 653member
    Apple employs around 20,000 software engineers, and they're all working on stuff. Just because one of them has written a Web crawler doesn't mean much. Maybe he's just collecting some sample html pages for testing Safari.
  • Reply 23 of 104
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I like it, but Spotlight would have to actually WORK first.

It's amazing that none of Apple's searching features do fuzzy searches yet. It isn't even that hard anymore.

• Reply 24 of 104
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Evidence of Apple's Web crawler, written in the Go programming language, ...

I wonder what language the DuckDuckGo web crawler is written in.

Maybe Apple and DuckDuckGo are working on a deal.

• Reply 25 of 104
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    I know a number of people that really hate Google but still use Google as their search engine because it's the best. They've all tried the others but still come back to Google. If Apple wants to do this they need to build a better mousetrap.

droidftw wrote: »
    But isn't there only one golang?

Both are languages named Go so referring to each as golang among each user base probably occurs.

dasanman69 wrote: »
    Yes. Why doesn't this surprise me?

Yeah, that's just shitty, no matter how obscure it is. But did Go! have an active Trademark? If not, they might be SoL. Maybe Google should have chosen Goo¡

• Reply 26 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

It's happened. Siri is now self aware.

Also, I always think its cool that Apple owns a whole Class A IP block. Odd that MS never requested one.

My first thought when I read that was "there's now way Microsoft doesn't have their own Class A block." But you're right.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_assigned_/8_IPv4_address_blocks

Ha, even Ford has their own block.

• Reply 27 of 104
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Yeah, that's just shitty, no matter how obscure it is. But did Go! have an active Trademark? If not, they might be SoL. Maybe Google should have chosen Goo¡

There was huge discussion about this on the Go project site.  Closed as "Unfortunate".

• Reply 28 of 104
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    mazecookie wrote: »
    My first thought when I read that was "there's now way Microsoft doesn't have their own Class A block." But you're right.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_assigned_/8_IPv4_address_blocks

Ha, even Ford has their own block.

Doesn't this show MS' repeated inability to not think properly about the future of the very business they are in?

Apple reportedly purchased the 64th .com ever sold. MS doesn't even make the top 100.

I think this means they didn't register until 1991 and were number 292, but that date seems too late for that low a number.

Domain Name: microsoft.com
    Registry Domain ID: 2724960_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
    Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.markmonitor.com
    Registrar URL: http://www.markmonitor.com
    Updated Date: 2014-10-15T04:00:12-0700
    Creation Date: 1991-05-01T21:00:00-0700
    Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2021-05-02T21:00:00-0700
    Registrar: MarkMonitor, Inc.
    Registrar IANA ID: 292

Something is amiss because going to the IANA website lists a date of 01-JAN-1985, which is 2.5 months before the first registraree*, symbolics.com

Other sites list 01-MAY-1991 to 02-MAY-1991, which is a normal date range.

edit: IANA's lists of their IDs has MS as number 1330, not 292, which makes a lot more sense for a 1991 registraree* date.

* Yep, making up a word.
  • Reply 29 of 104
    solipsismy wrote: »

SoL is about right.
    "I do not have a trademark on my language," McCabe said in an e-mail. "It was intended as a somewhat non-commercial language in the tradition of logic programming languages. It is in the tradition of languages like Prolog. In particular, my motivation was bringing some of the discipline of software engineering to logic programming."
  • Reply 30 of 104
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Written in Go?  That's alone has to make this one of the most unexpected stories of the year!

Maybe Go is good for that particular use case. 

• Reply 31 of 104
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    normm wrote: »
    Apple employs around 20,000 software engineers, and they're all working on stuff. Just because one of them has written a Web crawler doesn't mean much. Maybe he's just collecting some sample html pages for testing Safari.

It's nowhere near that number and nobody does anything without authorisation.
  • Reply 32 of 104
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Also, I always think its cool that Apple owns a whole Class A IP block. Odd that MS never requested one.

Prepartions to own the world.
  • Reply 33 of 104
    sestewart wrote: »
    John C Dvorak's prediction coming true? 

[...]Yeah, I know.. you guys will probably hate me for bringing up the guy that said the mouse will never catch on.

He can be forgiven for slipping up on a technology prediction like the mouse's future, but that is but one small contribution to a pool of idiocy he's written. He's certainly not someone people should be taking seriously.

Part of me thinks it would be hilarious to see Apple mucking around with Google in the search business but I have absolutely no faith in their ability to create a quality, competitive search engine to Google. I'd rather see them help and support a project like DuckDuckGo.
  • Reply 34 of 104
    sestewart wrote: »
    John C Dvorak's prediction coming true? 

How Long Before Apple Gets a Search Engine?
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2458892,00.asp

<ul style="border:0px;color:rgb(0,0,0);list-style-type:none;margin-left:0px;vertical-align:baseline;"><li style="border:0px;padding-right:20px;padding-top:0px;vertical-align:baseline;">JUNE 4, 2014

Yeah, I know.. you guys will probably hate me for bringing up the guy that said the mouse will never catch on. 

:-D NoAgendaShow FTW</li>

</ul>

Why not? SJ predicted that no one wanted to buy a big screen phone.
  • Reply 35 of 104
    Apple has a repeatedly said that they won't be introducing a product or service unless they really add value that people would love. With spotlight I think that time has come, so a search engine could be in the works. Also Google's pagerank patent expires in 2017
  • Reply 36 of 104
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member

Do you have a reference for that?
  • Reply 38 of 104
    shsfshsf Posts: 302member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

It's happened. Siri is now self aware.

Women have asked for more than Siri's humble Class A IP block.:)

• Reply 39 of 104

True. And Jobs was right, no one bought the big screen phones back then. Dvorak is always wrong on the other hand.
  • Reply 40 of 104
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    customtb wrote: »
    Frustrating that I can never follow links from the ai app on my iphone

Do what i do, press and hold on it copy it snd use it in safari