Samsung Electronics' heir apparent Lee Jae-yong profiled as silver spoon-fed product of corrupt nepo

Comments

• Reply 41 of 83
    john12345 wrote: »
    Here's hoping that he takes over Samsung so that he can drive it down.

Nonsense. Anyone can run Samsung. Anyone could push the big green button labeled "copy".
  • Reply 42 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RedHotFuzz View Post

You've empowered a real winner here, Google. Good job swinging the balance of tech power to non-American companies. You're an American hero!

Because there are no other countries out there in the world right? Only Murica!

Also, please tell me again where the vast majority of Apple's huge stockpile of cash is located? Where the iPhone is manufactured and by who?

• Reply 43 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by malta View Post

Because there are no other countries out there in the world right? Only Murica!

Also, please tell me again where the vast majority of Apple's huge stockpile of cash is located? Where the iPhone is manufactured and by who?

I'm in America, so that's the country I care about.  Google is in America, so that's the country they should care about.  Google only cares about hoovering the personal data of every person on the planet, and they'll empower anyone to help them accomplish that.  Even the Chinese.

Where the iPhone is manufactured is irrelevant.  Apple is an American company.  That's important to me.  Choose your own allegiances.

• Reply 44 of 83
    I do think that DED's articles are always factual and are always accompanied with graphics & illustrations to hammer-up the underlying idea (or thought, principle and thesis). His unique style of presentation coupled with some flavor of sarcasm and humor makes his editorials more fun to read! Even the more technical ones, I enjoy reading them all!
    To DED, well done, sir! ;)
  • Reply 45 of 83
    And people wonder why I do not like Samsung and it goes beyond copying. The shady history of Samsung's ruling family is likened to the mafia. At least the company makes good copies and really good screens. Also reverse engineering top end appliances to make their own version has been a standard at Sams.
  • Reply 46 of 83
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    taosbob wrote: »
    As usual, you are right on all counts.

I have groan progressively crankier over the years reading completely misdirected commentary on Korea using the usual rhetorical ploy of lofty superiority. Not that my own posture as "the curmudgeon insider" is less disingenuous :). Maybe more informative at the margin. . .

By wide repute Lee Jae-Yong is not only living in the shadow of his famed father (known when young for racing his sports car at high speed through Seoul and spectacularly crashing to the permanent detriment of his health but not his rep for derring do) but also his grandfather, the compsny founder and by repute pro-Japan sympathizer, totally out synch with Korean nationalism. Supposedly young Jae-Yong was bullied into studying Japsnese history at the university and subsequently business at Keio U., as his father did. AFAIK, Harvard Business School was Jae-Yong's own idea.

Samsung is a highly complicated organization with many moving parts. But western journalists don't make even a superficial attempt to map even its main features, much less master its intricies.

What a subject for a book, which would make use of your decades living there. With the North looming in the background . . . the war with Communism that created this situation . . . the amazing accomplishment of LG and Samsung in conquering display manufacturing . . . Hyundai's side of the epic . . . etc.

This stuff is at the level of Greek drama.
  • Reply 47 of 83
    Quote:

70 component entities that make up Samsung

What does that mean?

• Reply 48 of 83
    Originally Posted by Disturbia View Post

Lenovo launches the S90 “Sisley”, a blatant copy of Apple’s iPhone 6

Lenovo’s getting sued over this, period.

• Reply 49 of 83
    Samsung seems to be a corporate version of North Korea, complete with familial inheritance, a culture of corruption, and propaganda.
  • Reply 50 of 83
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member

"The fate of one of the world's largest consumer electronics firms appears to hinge upon a figure who lacks any strong record of leadership, and who gained his position simply by being born into a family that exists above the rule of law in a country that tolerates overt corruption."

Bricks. Glass house. Ouch.

• Reply 51 of 83
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... "South Korea ... where Samsung's annual sales equal a quarter of the economy..."

Oops.  Too bad.

And they were doing so well, too.

• Reply 52 of 83
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by taosbob View Post

Lee Jae-Yong is certainly smarter and better educated (Seoul National-Keio-Harvard) than he is given credit for here,

And George W. Bush went to Yale and Harvard Business School...mmm....and Obama from Harvard law...

Attended top end schools, yes.  Smarter than being given credit for?  Mmmmaybe.

• Reply 53 of 83
    nick29nick29 Posts: 111member
    "The straight-up opposite of Apple's Cook" LOL
  • Reply 54 of 83
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    Deleted by me.

• Reply 55 of 83
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nht View Post

And George W. Bush went to Yale and Harvard Business School...mmm....and Obama from Harvard law...

Obama may be many things but he isn't dumb.  Harvard Business School and Harvard Law School are lightyears apart in the level of intellect you need to possess to get accepted and earn a degree from them.  I personally know someone who got accepted to HBS and our whole college class went "How'd that happen?"  Obama also was president of the Harvard Law Review, the most prestigious student position at HLS.  You don't get to be that if you're one of the dimmer bulbs on the marquee.

• Reply 56 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

Obama may be many things but he isn't dumb.  Harvard Business School and Harvard Law School are lightyears apart in the level of intellect you need to possess to get accepted and earn a degree from them.  I personally know someone who got accepted to HBS and our whole college class went "How'd that happen?"  Obama also was president of the Harvard Law Review, the most prestigious student position at HLS.  You don't get to be that if you're one of the dimmer bulbs on the marquee.

He's not dumb, but he is 'tunnelvisioned' as to his own personal abuse of power. He's not better, nor is he different from George W. Bush. Both took advantage of a massive expansion of presidential powers crafted by Dick Cheney. I wonder if it's even possible for a balance of power to return to the system, or if it's permanently out of whack now. Powerful positions attract people who want power and are willing to use that power for their own benefit.

• Reply 57 of 83
    Unlike Harvard and Yale, one can't buy entry into Seoul National U. Entrance is too jealously regarded.
    nht wrote: »

• Reply 58 of 83
    splifsplif Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

He's not dumb, but he is 'tunnelvisioned' as to his own personal abuse of power. He's not better, nor is he different from George W. Bush. Both took advantage of a massive expansion of presidential powers crafted by Dick Cheney. I wonder if it's even possible for a balance of power to return to the system, or if it's permanently out of whack now. Powerful positions attract people who want power and are willing to use that power for their own benefit.

How so?

• Reply 59 of 83
    splifsplif Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Lenovo’s getting sued over this, period.

Probably...but they saw how Samsung basically got away with it & profited.

• Reply 60 of 83
    I've said it before that I come to AI for the comments and not the articles. This piece fully reinforces that.

DED you have an unhealthy obsession with samsung. Seriously though you mention them in nearly every piece no matter what the topic. It diminishes the site and is little more than a sad attempt at tossing some fresh meat for the forum lions to feed upon.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting a different outcome. These articles are the same thing over and over, and the same comments are the outcome. It's definitely getting old and the topic has run its course.