CBS News channel launches on Apple TV with new streaming CBSN network

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited November 2014
CBS launched an entirely new interactive streaming news network on Thursday, CBSN, and made it immediately available via a new channel for the Apple TV set-top box.

The new CBS News channel can now be found on the home screen of Apple TV. Accessing it allows users to stream the newly launched CBSN network, which features live, updated news content from 9 a.m. to midnight Eastern every weekday.

In addition to a streaming, linear channel, users can also control what they watch and when they watch it with DVR-like functionality, allowing them to watch previous segments and jump back into live programming.

CBSN also features simulcasts of CBS News special reports for breaking news, and additional content from a variety of CBS properties including affiliate stations, Cnet, CBSSports.com, Entertainment Tonight and more.

In addition to Apple TV, CBSN is also available on the Web and on other set-top box devices, including Amazon Fire TV and Roku players. CBSN will come to the CBS News app for iOS, as well as Android, before the end of the year, and is currently available on the corresponding app for Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8.

"CBSN gives audiences a new window on our original reporting - we'll make it possible to see CBS News anytime, anywhere," said David Rhodes, President, CBS News. "We are making an important investment in quality news coverage on any device."

The CBSN network is ad-supported across all platforms, with initial sponsorships coming from Microsoft and Amazon.

"CBSN demonstrates our continued advancement in the digital space, as we extend to new platforms and a wider audience," said Jim Lanzone, President and CEO, CBS Interactive. "We are developing original content exclusively for online, connected platforms in a true interactive format that viewers can control, allowing them to lean back or lean in to the segments and stories that interest them."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13

Maybe future iPads should include an over-the-air digital TV antenna. I don't see these cretins allowing the viewing of live over-the-air content without a cable code anytime soon, which is insane.

• Reply 2 of 13
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Maybe future iPads should include an over-the-air digital TV antenna. I don't see these cretins allowing the viewing of live over-the-air content without a cable code anytime soon, which is insane.

Or maybe we can rent a OTA antenna and stream the broadcasts to our devices. Oh wait..... ;)
  • Reply 3 of 13

Yes, this article would be more useful if it also stated whether a cable/provider login was necessary or not. Then I'd know whether to try it or just hide the icon like I have so many other new AppleTV channels.

• Reply 4 of 13

This channel only exists as a digital stream online, there is no over the air broadcast of this channel.

• Reply 5 of 13
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Or maybe we can rent a OTA antenna and stream the broadcasts to our devices. Oh wait..... image

‘Renting an OTA antenna’ sounds a lot like ‘time shifting’ a rented DVD by copying it. Semantics, rationale, whatever, it’s the idea that the content producers don’t really own the fruits of their work. Once released it becomes the property of the masses to do with as they please. Others would call it by its traditional name, theft. Oh wait... that’s what the SCOTUS ruled it was. 

• Reply 6 of 13
    lkrupp wrote: »

‘Renting an OTA antenna’ sounds a lot like ‘time shifting’ a rented DVD by copying it. Semantics, rationale, whatever, it’s the idea that the content producers don’t really own the fruits of their work. Once released it becomes the property of the masses to do with as they please. Others would call it by its traditional name, theft. Oh wait... that’s what the SCOTUS ruled it was. 

Yet I can personally stream everything I receive at home to my devices with Slingbox.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Yet I can personally stream everything I receive at home to my devices with Slingbox.

If I could 'bounce' the signal from my current OTA digital TV box to my iPad I'd be set.

• Reply 8 of 13

If I could 'bounce' the signal from my current OTA digital TV box to my iPad I'd be set.

Get a Slingbox Pro HD, it comes with a digital tuner built in, and will then stream it through the internet to your choice of devices.

Edit: the Slingbox is about $100, and the app for your iPad is $14.99
  • Reply 9 of 13
    dasanman69 wrote: »

Get a Slingbox Pro HD, it comes with a digital tuner built in, and will then stream it through the internet to your choice of devices.

This is a great idea. The only problem is that you still need an antenna and a decent signal. The compelling things about aereo were no need to mount an antenna, and for folks who live in an aereo covered metro area but with marginal signal strength due to natural or man made objects.

Thumbs up on this idea though. I think I might do this.
  • Reply 10 of 13

What about if you don't have and don't want Internet service at home?
  • Reply 11 of 13
    techlover wrote: »
    This is a great idea. The only problem is that you still need an antenna and a decent signal. The compelling things about aereo were no need to mount an antenna, and for folks who live in an aereo covered metro area but with marginal signal strength due to natural or man made objects.

Thumbs up on this idea though. I think I might do this.

What about if you don't have and don't want Internet service at home?

I can't fix all of your problems. :lol:
  • Reply 12 of 13

I can't fix all of your problems. :lol:

???? haha
  • Reply 13 of 13
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,294member
    Amazon is supporting another company's start-up concept with their profit issues? That's crazy.