Aaron Sorkin reveals details of Steve Jobs biopic, says he helped 'fix typos' in famous Stanford com

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2014
In a Bloomberg Televesion interview with host Emily Chang, Academy Award winning screenwriter Aaron Sorkin revealed a few plot details on the upcoming Steve Jobs biopic, which is slowly making its way toward production.

Source: Bloomberg

Sorkin said saying the Apple cofounder's story is so rich that it could yield ten more movies, each one as interesting as the next.

As for the movie's storyline, Sorkin said Jobs will interact with seven other characters, including cofounder Steve Wozniak, former CEO John Sculley and Joanna Hoffman, Apple's original head of Mac marketing.

"In in this movie Jobs has conflicts with all of them that get dramatized and worked out in a very compressed, very claustrophobic environment," Sorkin said.

The acclaimed screenwriter said the pressure to write Jobs' story for the big screen only adds "a little bit of sauce on top," because the tech guru was such a polarizing figure. Sorkin himself spoke with Jobs three times.

The first conversation was to thank Sorkin for saying that he only writes on Macs, which subsequently resulted in Jobs sending out a pre-release MacBook for testing. The second call came as an invitation to visit Pixar's campus to pitch a movie idea, and a third was to ask for help in writing Jobs' memorable Stanford commencement speech.

"Honestly, I fixed a couple of typos in the speech," Sorkin said. "I don't want to suggest for a moment that any of those thoughts were my thoughts. That is the brain of Steve Jobs. And helped him put the music to it."

So far, a number of big-name directors and actors have been attached to the project, though many have ultimately dropped out. Most recently, Christian Bale was in talks to play Jobs, but passed on the role, saying he wasn't right for the part.

The full version of Sorkin's interview is set to air as part of Bloomberg's Studio 1.0 tonight at 8:30 p.m. Eastern/5:30 p.m. Pacific.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23

Emily "has apple lost its innovation" Chang

(no doubt its Emily "can able maintain its innovation" Chang now...

I give up years ago on tv business journalism - it's flawed on so many levels, bloody tragic

• Reply 2 of 23
    I realize that many people here snobbish about Sorkin.

Who cares. Speaking for myself, I can't wait for this movie. When I go to the movies, I want to be entertained even when I (broadly) know what the facts are. I want facts exaggerated, distorted, pushed, and pulled to serve entertainment value. I am smart enough -- and confident enough -- to be not bothered or offended by a writer, director, actor taking some artistic license.

If I wanted just the facts, I'd be watching documentaries. (Leaving aside the fact that even most documentaries are subjective).
  • Reply 3 of 23
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    "Honestly, I fixed a couple of typos in the speech,"

Oh get out Aaron!! Did you really??

OMG WOWWWW
  • Reply 4 of 23
    I know who Aaron Sorkin is, but I'd never seen a picture...thought it was Val Kilmer for a second.
    e. I want facts exaggerated, distorted, pushed, and pulled to serve entertainment value. I am smart enough -- and confident enough -- to be not bothered or offended by a writer, director, actor taking some artistic license.

If I wanted just the facts, I'd be watching documentaries. (Leaving aside the fact that even most documentaries are subjective).

This kind of thinking is dangerous. A considerable number of people believe movies like this. Too many think that Oliver Stone's JFK is a true story, for example.
  • Reply 5 of 23

This kind of thinking is dangerous. A considerable number of people believe movies like this. Too many think that Oliver Stone's JFK is a true story, for example.

What illiterates choose to believe based on fiction doesn't drive my life.

If it does yours, I feel sorry for you. (But I guess I shouldn't, since it's your choice.)
  • Reply 6 of 23
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    "Honestly, I fixed a couple of typos in the speech,"

Oh get out Aaron!! Did you really??

OMG WOWWWW

I thought he was being very humble there. A lesser person could easily have claimed to have been responsible for most of it and only Steve could have said otherwise. He was dismissing his own input and saying it was all Steve's work.

I also like the reporter as well as the other Bloomberg reporter Betty Liu. They are very engaged with their interviewees and keep the conversation interesting.
    thought it was Val Kilmer for a second.

Yeah he does look like Val Kilmer:

300 300

Another Batman actor.
  • Reply 7 of 23

Wish he could have fixed your typos! "Televesion"???

• Reply 8 of 23
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

I know who Aaron Sorkin is, but I'd never seen a picture...thought it was Val Kilmer for a second.

We know who could play Sorkin in his movie biopic, makeup not required...

• Reply 9 of 23

I always thought the Alien movies were the life story of Sigourney Weaver. You mean it's just a movie?
  • Reply 10 of 23
    I always thought the Alien movies were the life story of Sigourney Weaver. You mean it's just a movie?

Alien wasn't presented as a documentary.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Marvin wrote: »
    Yeah he does look like Val Kilmer:

300 300

Another Batman actor.

That depends which Val Kilmer you are referring to.

The fat one from a few years ago (Is that Fatman, not Batman?):

Or the current elderly one:

????
  • Reply 12 of 23
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Who cares. Speaking for myself, I can't wait for this movie. When I go to the movies, I want to be entertained even when I (broadly) know what the facts are. I want facts exaggerated, distorted, pushed, and pulled to serve entertainment value. I am smart enough...

All evidence to the contrary.

-kpluck

• Reply 13 of 23
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I wish they would all just let it go and stop trying top monetize Steve's memory for themselves.
  • Reply 14 of 23

The very first thing I noticed: "televesion."

• Reply 15 of 23
    netcrawler wrote: »
    The very first thing I noticed: "televesion."

You must have 20/20 vesion to spot such an error.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    shsfshsf Posts: 302member

One of the best and most inspiring speeches ever btw, I 've almost crashed youtube singlehandedly re-watching it. 

• Reply 17 of 23
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    gtr wrote: »
    That depends which Val Kilmer you are referring to.

The fat one from a few years ago (Is that Fatman, not Batman?):

Or the current elderly one:

????

The Val Kilmer from 2 years ago where he appears with Michael Fassbender, how's that for a crossover:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2227317/Val-Kilmer-bizarrely-wields-chainsaw-uses-walker-onstage-Terrence-Malicks-new-film.html

Sorkin and Steve = Val Kilmer and Fassbender.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member

Good thing he fixed those typos.  If Steve said the wrong to, too, or two, or red instead of read (not reed), it could have been a disaster. /s

• Reply 19 of 23
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

Good thing he fixed those typos.  If Steve said the wrong to, too, or two, or red instead of read (not reed), it could have been a disaster. /s

Or Steve could've actually ended up saying "comma" or "period" while reading the speech. The horror!  /s

• Reply 20 of 23

Maybe Sorkin should treat this one as a recursive self-referential script (in the style of Charlie Kaufman), and make it a movie about him trying to write a script for a movie about him writing a script for a movie about a script.