Philips Hue iOS 8 Notification Center widget for connected lightbulbs now available

Posted:
in iPhone edited November 2014
Users of the popular Philips Hue connected LED lightbulbs can now quickly control their lighting and enable "scenes" with the new easy-access Hue widget, now available for iOS 8.

The Notification Center widget for Philips Hue can be found in the latest update to the official Hue application, available for free on the iOS App Store. Upon updating, users can access the Notification Center by swiping down from the top of the screen, then choosing the "Edit" button at the bottom of the "Today" view to customize their widget layout.

Upon adding the Hue widget, users are prompted with a direct link to open the Hue app and customize their widget. A new dedicated section of the application's settings allows users to select up to five quick-access scenes for their connected bulbs.

Users can select among their own custom Hue scenes, or pre-made options from Philips. In addition to the name for the scene, the widget also displays any custom images associated with it.

In addition to the new iOS 8 widget, Philips Hue version 1.7.0 also includes improved support for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus devices. The update also fixes an issue with geofencing, and improves overall stability.

Just last week, Philips announced that its Hue bulbs are now supported by over 200 third-party apps in addition to its own official iOS application. Hue bulbs initially launched exclusively at Apple retail stores, but are now available for purchase elsewhere, such as Amazon.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Fantastic! Looks and works great. I can finally free up some space in the dock. Now just waiting for integration with Siri.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    mr4jsmr4js Posts: 55member

HUE is a cheap gimmick and Philips makes junk. They are too much like Samsung.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/05/eu-tv-cartel-fine/

• Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr4js View Post

HUE is a cheap gimmick and Philips makes junk. They are too much like Samsung.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/05/eu-tv-cartel-fine/

I beg to differ, but unfortunately I don't have a 2 year old article about CRT TVs to support my position. I'll just have to enjoy my widget/geofence/timer controlled, well made gimmick in despair :( 

• Reply 4 of 5
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    eep357 wrote: »

I beg to differ, but unfortunately I don't have a 2 year old article about CRT TVs to support my position. I'll just have to enjoy my widget/geofence/timer controlled, well made gimmick in despair :( 

The Philips of yesteryear isn't the same company that it is now. I believe that the name was sold.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Philips hue is more than a gimmick. I can't speak for all app developers, but I have thousands of users in 50 countries doing all sorts of awesome things with their lights. Small theaters running shows on an iPad instead of an expensive lighting rig, high-end hotels managing a multi-zone environment, and even D&D game masters enhancing the game experience with custom light animations. With a consumer-level product, you get features previously only available to the very rich. Unlike those systems however, there are hundreds of cool 3rd party apps for almost any situation you can think of. I'm biassed obviously, but I got my hue lights as a gift and thought it was a gimmick too until I started finding many great uses for them like house concerts, parties, and even daily schedule management. I wrote my own app to get a few more features I desired, and a year (and many releases) later, it's a full business. If anyone's interested, here's a shameless plug: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/lightbow-for-philips-hue-lifx/id695235159?mt=8&uo=4&at=1l3vsch