Should Apple Stores sell non-Mac stuff?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
By non-Mac stuff, I don't mean Windows computers or software, but rather other technology.

I think Apple's plan is to become a high tech version of Radio Shack. People go to Radio Shack and pay three times more for an adapter because they know they can get their questions answered and find a solution without having to think too much. Apple has a different plan for retail than CompUSA or Circuit City. They have people who can competently explain how customers can achieve what they want with their computers. And if your computer goes on the fritz, you can always stop by and bother the guy at the genius bar. It's the difference between a Mercedes dealership and Kia dealership. Mercedes provides great after sale support so you don't have to worry about anything.

So if Apple is trying this new model and paying a lot of money for top notch salespeople it seems a waste to just sell Macs. With all that space in the store it seems like they could sell a few other high end items. If their salespeople are capable of knowing the Mac thoroughly, they could also be trained to be the best salespeople of other items, like high definition TVs or maybe even the Segway! Any good ideas for other things the salesperson advantage could be put to?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    I dunno. I personally thing that Apple's doing ok they way they are. Apple Stores do have other merchandise like cables, peripherals, etc. That's all they should have. I personally hate radio shack because they have so much crap. It's a worthless store except to find that odd cable I need. I think Apple's got a winning business model that will pay off in the long term.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    that would be horrible and unprofitable.

apple stores are already low on space. they really could use a bigger third party hardware section

a better addition would be a merchandise section with tshirts and posters and sweatshirts and hats and cups, etc
  • Reply 3 of 5
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>

a better addition would be a merchandise section with tshirts and posters and sweatshirts and hats and cups, etc</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, that's what I'd like the stores to have. Plenty of Mac users would love to buy that stuff.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    It should all link to Macs at some point. Thus, I think their current lineup of peripherals is a smart idea. Though I do think they could raise some extra money by selling a few T-shirts and posters too (really).
  • Reply 5 of 5
    i think the "awww" of the apple stores in the simplicity it holds. it's like a specialty store. if i walked into the applestore next week and there was a shit load of tvs, cheap telephones, and graphic calculators.... i'd freak. i like walking in, looking at the software and hardware i use and enjoy.