Apple to reportedly open new corporate office and R&D center in Cambridge, UK

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2014
It was reported earlier this week that Apple is planning to open a new office in the city of Cambridge, UK, an intellectual hotspot which already plays host to bases of operation for a number of large tech companies.

Apple is believed to be moving into 90 Hills Road, a recently renovated office building with more than 9,000 square feet of floor space spread across two floors and a roof deck, reports Business Weekly.

Other tech companies in the so-called "Cambridge cluster" include Microsoft, Sony and Siemens, while accounting firms Deloitte and KPMG also share space in the area. Qualcomm and Huawei are also said to be sinking assets into Cambridge with investments and company acquisitions.

The publication speculates Apple will kickstart its rumored UK site with around 20 employees, but will have the room to expand up to 40 people in the future. It is unclear when the office is set to be staffed and Apple's corporate jobs webpage for the area does not yet show any openings related to a Cambridge location.

If Apple does open an office in Cambridge, it will join the company's corporate office in London. The British government has been wooing Apple for 25 years in a bid to position the UK as a major player in the booming global tech industry, the publication said.

Beyond retail stores, Apple has quickly enlarged its international footprint with research and development centers, including a new location in Shanghai and expansions at two offices in Israel. According to patent filings with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, Apple's Israel operations are focused on advanced SoC and memory hardware technology.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 90
    Frankly, Apple might just as well stop all their R&D spending now, unless it’s related to battery technology or the usual incremental improvements. There's no point in trying to invent the next big thing until energy management gets sorted out.
  • Reply 2 of 90
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Lots of nerds in Britain. I'm surprised Apple didn't already have a research facility there.
  • Reply 3 of 90
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    It appears to be an hour drive from Jony Ive's home town of Chingford. I wonder if he has a home in the area and if he'll be working out of that office part of the year.

Frankly, Apple might just as well stop all their R&D spending now, unless it’s related to battery technology or the usual incremental improvements. There's no point in trying to invent the next big thing until energy management gets sorted out.

How about components and an OS that use less power, which have been the greatest advancements in power efficiency this century. If Apple waited until battery tech made a major leap there would be no Apple today.
  • Reply 4 of 90
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Huh???

• Reply 5 of 90
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Lots of nerds in Britain. I'm surprised Apple didn't already have a research facility there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

If Apple does open an office in Cambridge, it will join the company's corporate office in London. The British government has been wooing Apple for 25 years in a bid to position the UK as a major player in the booming global tech industry, the publication said.

• Reply 6 of 90
    This is where Marc Newson will likely work, at least part of the time.
  • Reply 7 of 90
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I'm glad you're not running Apple.

• Reply 8 of 90
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chadmatic View Post

Are you saying they do R&D at their corporate offices in London?

• Reply 9 of 90
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Ah, I remember my student days there... well actually no so much ... well some but hazy. I vaguely remember climbing up drain pipes to visit my girl friend and punting on the Cam. TG my lysdexia didn't kick in there!
  • Reply 10 of 90
    He's a troll. No one who identifies themselves as from the UK in these forums likes Apple, without exception.
  • Reply 11 of 90
    He's a troll. No one who identifies themselves as from the UK in these forums likes Apple, without exception.

Beg to differ. A Yorkshire man and proud of it and Apple devotee since 1978. Actually I was an Apple business partner in 1978.
  • Reply 12 of 90
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member

Er? Hi!

I like Apple. I don’t Tallest Skil like Apple, but I do like them.
  • Reply 13 of 90
    edit: Pipped by [B]Mr. H[/B].
  • Reply 14 of 90

Because it's not like apple isn't designing some of the sweetest ARM chips, or manufacturing processes, or oh good lord never mind.
  • Reply 15 of 90
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,033member

It's a 70-minute drive from Cambridge to Kings Langley (Hertfordshire). The corporate HQ of Imagination Technologies is in the latter town. They design the graphics subsystem of the Ax ARM SoCs.

Oh yes, I almost forgot to mention that ARM Holdings is headquartered in Cambridge.

Unsurprising that AI didn't pick up on either point. Appalling. 

• Reply 16 of 90
    fracfrac Posts: 480member

Beg to differ. A Yorkshire man and proud of it and Apple devotee since 1978. Actually I was an Apple business partner in 1978.
    Same and ...not quite so early...'87, though my dad's business used an Apple //e in the office. Sad, but I've never owned a Windows PC. I suppose I must have bought Apple shares in 2002 because I disliked the company(best £500 i ever spent),bought more Apple gear than I should, converted not a few, equipped three separate businesses with Macs, had a job installing Xserve machines and held the line without flinching - for no other reason than perversity then?
    Despite the aforementioned, I'm not trying to score silly brownie points.
  • Reply 17 of 90
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    Anybody knows of this?
    Irish Finance Minister expects EU to drop Apple tax investigation

http://theapplepips.com/irish-finance-minister-expects-eu-to-drop-apple-tax-investigation/
  • Reply 18 of 90
    mpantone wrote: »
    It's a 70-minute drive from Cambridge to Kings Langley (Hertfordshire). The corporate HQ of Imagination Technologies is in the latter town. They design the graphics subsystem of the Ax ARM SoCs.

Oh yes, I almost forgot to mention that ARM Holdings is headquartered in Cambridge.

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">Unsurprising that AI didn't pick up on either point. Appalling. </span>

Is that the UK's Silicon Valley?
  • Reply 19 of 90
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,033member

Probably. It's not that the UK is big enough to have dozens of Silicon Valley-like areas anyhow.

This stuff tends to concentrate around top-tier engineering university towns. You're going to find more startups in Mountain View, CA (near Stanford) versus Weed, CA.

I'll defer to the Brits in the audience to confirm (or deny) your inquiry though.

I just pointed out two notable partners in the area. Regardless of whether or not the area is the "UK Silicon Valley", the area remains interesting to Apple Inc. just because those two companies are there.

• Reply 20 of 90
    frac wrote: »
    Same and ...not quite so early...'87, though my dad's business used an Apple //e in the office. Sad, but I've never owned a Windows PC. I suppose I must have bought Apple shares in 2002 because I disliked the company(best £500 i ever spent),bought more Apple gear than I should, converted not a few, equipped three separate businesses with Macs, had a job installing Xserve machines and held the line without flinching - for no other reason than perversity then?
    Despite the aforementioned, I'm not trying to score silly brownie points.

Why sad you never owned a Windoze PC? Good for you!