How Apple, Inc. went thermonuclear on Samsung, erasing Android's primary profit center

1101112131416»

Comments

• Reply 301 of 315
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Growth at this point is going to happen by taking from another. I personally know quite a few people that left iOS for Android because they wanted a bigger screen. Those people didn't leave overnight, and winning them back won't either.

Yeah thanks to the fact that most consumers lock in to a 2 year contract there is definitely a lag.

I'm having a hard time recalling who, but I thought there's a carrier or two that will pay off the early termination fee to gain that competitive edge.
  • Reply 302 of 315
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    techlover wrote: »
    Yeah thanks to the fact that most consumers lock in to a 2 year contract there is definitely a lag.

I'm having a hard time recalling who, but I thought there's a carrier or two that will pay off the early termination fee to gain that competitive edge.

T-Mobile did it first but I think they're all doing a form of it.
  • Reply 303 of 315
    [@]dasanman69[/@] Ah yeah t-mobile. I think you're right.
  • Reply 304 of 315
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TechLover View Post

Up until recently I had always bought my phones outright, never on contract but Orange, one of my mobile providers, introduced a new service in which you can exchange your phone up to 3 times a year for a new model, however since I've been a good customer for 15 years and the phones that I have used for exchange have always been in perfect condition, they bumped that number from 3 to 4 phones a year. On a condition that I continue posting in their forums. So I now get to have a new phone every 3 months, it's not cheap this service, costs an additional 600 a year but since I traditionally bought a new phone every 6 months anyway it made sense. Especially now that I can get things that I wouldn't normally have, experiment with different platforms and sizes. I can get a phone right now but I'm going to wait for the Nexus 6.  Unfortunately this service doesn't extend to tablets but Orange only has a few select tablet models anyway. Which are always the same, Apple, Samsung and one or two Windows 8 tablet(s).

Check it out for yourself here, don't you wish you can live in Switzerland, you can come visit me, I have a nice guest bedroom and our house is only a kilometer away from a nude beach and I have a great weed delivery service. 

• Reply 305 of 315
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    techlover wrote: »
    [@]dasanman69[/@] Ah yeah t-mobile. I think you're right.

T-Mobile gave me $356 in credit for my 16GB iPhone 5S from AT&T, which is by far the highest payout from any company and probably higher than selling it on eBay, after fees. I still haven't received my ETF payment but that is suppose to take up to 8 weeks. I have zero doubt about not getting the full $220.

I couldn't find an option for Verizon, but Sprint and AT&T have them.

Note: AT&T says they'll give you $450 per line but it's only up to $200 for the ETF and up to $250 for the trade-in.
  • Reply 306 of 315
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    relic wrote: »
    ...the phones that I have used for exchange have always been in perfect condition...

You have so many phones I don't think anyone here is surprised by that.
    On a condition that I continue posting in their forums.

:???: How does that work? You are now required to shill the new devices you get?
  • Reply 307 of 315
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    :???: How does that work? You are now required to shill the new devices you get?

We should be so lucky to get compensation for touting the things we like.
  • Reply 308 of 315
    [@]Relic[/@]

0_0

Wait...

Let me just say that again.

0_0

I'm going to go start searching for flights :)
  • Reply 309 of 315
    [@]SolipsismY[/@] Jesus that's a great deal from t-mobile. Thanks for the info.
  • Reply 310 of 315
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

You have so many phones I don't think anyone here is surprised by that.

image How does that work? You are now required to shill the new devices you get?

No, but you would think that though, they just need people who don't mind answering questions, especially in English. I would be in there anyway, deal or no deal so both members in this agreement benefit. I don't talk much about phones, most of the questions pertain to, how do I do a certain tasks within the OS, which I like doing. They wouldn't back out of the agreement if I decided to stop posting, it was more like a friendly request. I've gotten a lot of freebies in the past for being in their forums, so it's worth doing regardless. They offered me a job numerous times, work from home, free mobile account, etc. but I always told them just give me a free accessory here and than, which they've done in spades and now this.

• Reply 311 of 315
    Quote:

@Relic

0_0

Wait...

0_0

I'm going to go start searching for flights.

Most of our beaches are topless and we have quite a few that are clothing optional. My mother was the real nudist in the family, hippy upbringing, she used to take my sister and I and than my kids to the beach pretty much everyday during the summer, which means my kids grew up as nudists as well. They even met most of their friends their as well, you would be surprised as to how many families do this. So it was nice to know where my kids were during the summer. I haven't gone in a couple of years because of my health and a very flat chest but I have new boobies now, so maybe next summer.

• Reply 312 of 315
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Quote:

@Relic

0_0

Wait...

0_0

I'm going to go start searching for flights.

Most of our beaches are topless and we have quite a few that are clothing optional. My mother was the real nudist in the family, hippy upbringing, she used to take my sister and I and than my kids to the beach pretty much everyday during the summer, which means my kids grew up as nudists as well. They even met most of their friends their as well, you would be surprised as to how many families do this. So it was nice to know where my kids were during the summer. I haven't gone in a couple of years because of my health and a very flat chest but I have new boobies now, so maybe next summer.

There's something rather pure about nudists. I think I'd find it a bit too much. A good compromise would be to wear fig leafs to cover the private bits.

• Reply 313 of 315
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

There's something rather pure about nudists. I think I'd find it a bit too much. A good compromise would be to wear fig leafs to cover the private bits.

Though I've participated on many occasions, mostly because of my mother and sister, I was never really into the scene. I liked going in the first few weeks of the season to get a tan and than maybe a few more times after but that was it. It's kind of a private party affair, although there are the occasional tourist, most are locals and everyone knows each other, a lot of them are my familiy, cousins, uncles and the sort, we all live in the same community. So I never minded that my mom took the kids or that they started to go on their own with friends. It mind sound weird but it's a safe place for them.
  • Reply 314 of 315

Well, if Samsung is shrinking, but the other manufactures are growing, doesn't that mean the android profit center is shifting...as opposed to shrinking?